Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

turtles

On 13 Nov 2013 at 3:41pm colin's mum wrote:

Has any one else read about Tesco selling live turtles in their shops in China.
How can we show Tesco that this is unacceptable?
I cannot condone this dreadful practice by shopping at Tesco. There are plenty of other shops

On 13 Nov 2013 at 3:55pm Dave wrote:
I went into a shop in this country once where they sold live turtles, I think they also had budgies
On 13 Nov 2013 at 4:02pm Townie wrote:
They're sold all the time in the UK. Just pop into Brighton and look around a few shops that sell live reptiles.
For christ sake, it might be their culture to do this. Don't we walk into a restaurant and pick out live lobsters to boil alive !!!
On 13 Nov 2013 at 4:03pm Devil's Advocate wrote:
I have no doubt that Tesco will argue that their Chinese subsidiary is simply meeting a local market demand, no one is forcing you (or me) to go there.
Are you complaining that the turtles are still alive, or that they may have been shipped/held in less than ideal conditions whilst in transit and in store?
- If they are alive but in kept/moved in acceptable holding tanks at all times, is that any worse than killing them at point of capture, and then shipping as carcasses?
Or are you unhappy that they are selling turtles 'full-stop'?
And, if they are farmed turtles rather than caught in the wild that make it any more acceptable?
Not sure exactly what you aspect you are unhappy about?

On 13 Nov 2013 at 10:33pm Derek's Dad wrote:
I think larger retailers like the Tesco have ruined fresh food by ordering in such large quantities that quality suffers as do 1000's of small producers. However, selling live Turtles? Are the Turtles for food or pets? Are turtles for food normally sold live (e.g. lobster?) Are the turtles pests in the local area?
Advice, Pick fights that you can win. And for Colin's sake, quit embarrassing him. Use "sheltered middleclass mum" or something.

On 14 Nov 2013 at 9:02am The Lewes Mole wrote:
It makes me sick what they do to animals in that country. An absolute bloody disgrace.

On 14 Nov 2013 at 1:11pm Taff wrote:
Turtles must be easier to catch than horses!

On 14 Nov 2013 at 7:18pm ducatipete wrote:
How big are they and are they cheaper than a turkey for Xmas?

On 15 Nov 2013 at 4:37pm Kettle wrote:
The problem is that many turtle species are now endangered.

On 15 Nov 2013 at 8:00pm Colin wrote:
My Mum's a nutter, she's been serving turtles for years, until I went to school and saw a real pastie I believed what she told me!

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lansdown Penny 117:132
The Lansdown Penny

Just save me the bother and explain how this undermines current scientific consensus on climate change. Your previous recommended... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa