Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

tree in Pells Park

On 28 Feb 2010 at 11:45pm moi wrote:
the notice said they were dying.. looked ok to me

On 1 Mar 2010 at 6:15am pells pooler wrote:
Sussex express said that some of the large pines had become unsafe and needed to be taken out. They will be replaced.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 11:32am sashimi wrote:
Moi, the tree officer has said the two large pines are diseased and dangerous. I've no means of telling if he's right or not; but Cherry Baden-Powell, Chair of the Pells Amenity Group, lives on the spot and knows an awful lot about trees. She was consulted about them and raised no objection. It's a pity they have to come down, but in this case, I'm convinced the decision was taken with care and it's not a conspiracy.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 12:02pm Eh? wrote:
I don't think anyone said there was a conspiracy. Can't people ask questions without being treated like a nutter? Thanks for info though.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 3:53pm sashimi wrote:
Sorry, Eh? Moi said: "the notice said they were dying.. looked ok to me" which suggested he was querying the conclusion. I agree they look OK and I didn't mean to make out he was being paranoid.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 4:41pm SHS wrote:
Happy to go on record as querying the conclusion. So many trees have diseases and live with them for years and years. The risk of a tree (diseased or not) falling down and hurting someone is infinitely less than the risk of a car hurting someone yet the former contribute a phenomenal amount to carbon sequestrations whereas the latter contribute a phenomenal amount to carbon emissions. Yet we're not just talking about 'green' or debatable climate / warming issues here. It's about the irreplaceable, the intangible, the great pleasure these older trees give and have given to young and old alike, these barely-understood creations that have taken hundreds of years to grow from a seed smaller than a bullet. A tragedy indeed, that we so readily destroy what nature provides. A hypocrisy that we protest about rainforest destruction in foreign lands and penalise our own voiceless electorate for crimes against the natural world, yet unelected people in power have the right to destroy what we enjoy and what may even save us. First the Great Storm tree bulldozing, then the railway embankments shaved of all vegetation, now our precious streets and parks are being made leafless in the name of health and safety. Time for an urgent change of priorities.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 5:27pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Having seen the programme the other night about people suing local councils, I would think any tree surgery is being done as a 'preventative' measure to stop people suing them for branches falling on them etc.
I'd be surprised if escc or ldc isn't being sued at this very moment given the state of some of the pavements and the amount of uncleared leaves (now mush) there are on some of them.

On 1 Mar 2010 at 7:26pm Dave Hedgehog wrote:
Ask Geoff for his opinion, i'm sure he's an expert on trees as well
On 1 Mar 2010 at 8:14pm SHS wrote:
Once upon a time wading through piles of autumn leaves on the path was a pleasure to be looked forward to. Eventually the wind blew them away or Lumbricus terrestris pulled them out of sight. Now we have highly-paid civil servants with noisy giant diesel-driven hair-dryers (what happened to brooms?) to guide the leaves slowly to a waiting diesel-powered lorry, which in turn doubtless hauls the leaves hundred of miles across England to the nearest 'recycling centre'. The worm is sadly redundant.........

On 1 Mar 2010 at 10:36pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
If only that was the case shs. Sadly the leaves have been left to rot down into a mulch (gardeners grab it while you can) on the corner of offham road and the avenue, and at the bottom of keere street. and yes I have contacted the escc and the ldc about it with no response. just waiting for that accident to happen.
Are the trees being felled completely or is it a heavy pollarding ?

On 1 Mar 2010 at 11:35pm moi wrote:
i wasn't suggesting any conspiracy sashimi, how did you come to that conclusion ? I was merely promoting debate.

On 2 Mar 2010 at 7:46am sashimi wrote:
Moi, it was Eh who mentioned 'conspiracy'. If you re-read my post you will see I denied you were paranoid. SHS, I understand your scepticism. I don't know enough about trees to to determine if the authorities are being over cautious. But Cherry B-P who knows as much as the tree officer and who lives nearby agrees that they have to come down - and that's good enough for me.

On 2 Mar 2010 at 8:51am 'ere be monsters wrote:
SHS, I've never heards such a load of old sentmental claptrap. Trees get planted, they grow, they get chopped down, made use of and a new ones planted. The trees in the Pells in question have not taken "hundreds of years to grow" they are in fact part of the sustainable resourses we have on this planet.

On 2 Mar 2010 at 11:36am EH? wrote:
Sashimi, I don't disagree with you, but please don't put words in my mouth. You did mention'conspiracy' which is why I commented. Ta

On 2 Mar 2010 at 3:40pm Ruth wrote:
The Offham Road/The Avenue junction mulch I am trying to get removed by this weekend.

On 2 Mar 2010 at 4:28pm SHS wrote:
Thanks for bringing me back to reality 'ere-be-mon. Next issue - what will happen to the trees? Can we insist they be left (fallen, alas) on site to be used for boat-building classes, to make flag-poles, or for kids to climb over? Or even just a massive and memorable bonfire on site......

On 2 Mar 2010 at 10:23pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
thats good news ruth re leaf mulch. thanks.
Great idea shs re leaving the trees on site. they are brilliant for many many small animals - including stag beetles which are dying out - and I know my kids loved playing on fallen trees when they were younger. Let's hope there are some creative minds at the council/ tree surgeons.

On 3 Mar 2010 at 12:15pm Sherlock wrote:
Just thought I'd mention that the Tree Officer is one of the few efficient people working for LDC in my experience.

On 3 Mar 2010 at 8:14pm 24carat wrote:
The Tree Officer is indeed a splendid fellow.
Believe me, he has no agenda, just years of experience and common sense.
Now the planning dept, thats another kettle of fish.........

On 4 Mar 2010 at 12:16am Dryad wrote:
SHS writes good posts.
I saw those felled trees this evening and was very sad.

On 4 Mar 2010 at 8:53am Duk Feeder wrote:
I Saw them felling the tree's and almost watched the guy fall out with shear terror as the top bit fell. It's a shame, I still miss the tunnels under that park the ones that always smelt of wee happy days bring back the 80's

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes 23:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine