Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

think once think twice think bike

On 6 Mar 2009 at 8:38pm Mr Bump wrote:
Some sympathy for Webby please everyone - he has been knocked off his bicycle, but luckily escaped with minor injuries.

Debates on pros & cons of wearing a bike helmet, women drivers not signaling, bicyclists vs motorists ... on your marks, get set, GO!

On 6 Mar 2009 at 8:50pm zola wrote:
Get well soon Webby.

On 6 Mar 2009 at 10:05pm Sam spam wrote:
as a cyclist in Lewes you have my respect and best wishes....pick it up webby

On 6 Mar 2009 at 10:33pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Serves you right WM. You didn't expect sympathy, did you?

On 6 Mar 2009 at 11:51pm The Webmaster wrote:
Thanks TF you little treasure

On 7 Mar 2009 at 12:41pm kitty cat wrote:
Hi Webby. Hope you feel better soon x

On 7 Mar 2009 at 1:36pm i dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Webbo. Hope you recover soon.
PhilX

On 7 Mar 2009 at 4:44pm 4x4 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your accident Webby, but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you. Some of the streets in Lewes are too narrow for bikes and cars, especially if you drive a large 4 x 4, and seeing as though we pay an extortionate amount of road tax I think cyclists should be banned from the roads and encouraged to use designated cycle paths.

On 8 Mar 2009 at 3:14am SHS wrote:
Sincerely hope the injuries are not too severe WM and that you return rapidly to A1 fitness. As a fellow cyclist I know this is the best and most enjoyable way to travel in and around Lewes but only early very early on Sunday morning or Christmas Day is it more or less without risk.

On 8 Mar 2009 at 3:26am SHS wrote:
Most cyclists are also car owners so pay road tax. Cycle paths are almost non-existent in the UK and where they do exist tend to put pedestrians and cyclists in great danger, since they consist simply of white paint on pavements. Who would pay for proper cycle paths anyway? Wide ignorance of the Highway Code has certainly given cyclists a bad reputation among motorists.

On 8 Mar 2009 at 11:05am Lewes Laugher wrote:
4x4 wrote: Sorry to hear about your accident Webby, but I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you. Some of the streets in Lewes are too narrow for bikes and cars..
And pavements are to narrow for cars and pedestrians. not to mention bikes and pedestrians. Anyway, get well soon Web.

On 8 Mar 2009 at 3:01pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Oh dear Webbo - are you very traumatised? Hope you are okay.
Have you learnt your lesson? Will you be getting rid of your bike? If so, welcome to the enlightened club!
Re narrowness of pavements - given the lard-arse size of some people, the pavements are too narrow for pedestrians (full stop).

On 11 Mar 2009 at 9:25am Frak wrote:
Why would you want to be driving a 4x4 through the narrow streets of Lewes anyway? Oh yes, to pick up Tarquin and Jemima so they don't spend to much time with the oiks by walking to school.

On 12 Mar 2009 at 12:47pm Andrew Richardson wrote:
Interesting logical gymnastics from "4x4". The streets are too narrow for bikes, but 4x4's are fine? Yeah, makes perfect sense. As for paying a fortune, it's your *choice* to drive a 4x4, so don't impose the consequences of your choices on someone else. If there's no room for a bike and a car to go side-by-side on the road, then they'll have to go single file until there is room. Given the small size of Lewes, this isn't likely to be a very long time, so exercise a bit of patience or hand your licence in.
Hope webby's injuries heal soon!

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station View 82:132
Lewes Station View

Just because there are people able to organise a campaign and deal with the politics for something doesn't make them the best... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell