Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

the guys who go round with bags of goods

On 5 Dec 2014 at 12:19pm betwixt wrote:
sometimes we get men knocking on the door about 6pm with a bag of goods to sell. they have a battered card usually with some kind of verification and say they are trying to make an honest living selling these goods.
they are always polite and sometimes i buy something/ give them some money.
but are thee guys genuine does anyone know? i think often they are young offenders trying to find work again, so is this a legitimate scheme?
Everyone deserves and second chance, I just want to make sure I'm giving the money to the right people!!
Many thanks and looking for genuine replies
On 5 Dec 2014 at 1:43pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
There was Watchdog-style programme years ago exposing it as a bit of a racket. The tea towels are grossly overpriced. On the other hand, my wife says they're the best ones she's ever had. The men are usually polite, but quite scary. Sometimes we buy, sometimes we don't.
On 5 Dec 2014 at 2:37pm Oh dear wrote:
Hasn't His Lordship ever used one of teatowels? Does he need to rely entirely on Her Ladyship's opinion?
On 5 Dec 2014 at 2:56pm Santa wrote:
Do they mean ME ? They surely don`t

On 5 Dec 2014 at 4:06pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
'Oh dear' - I prefer the drip-dry method
On 5 Dec 2014 at 4:44pm Belladonna wrote:
We also get them round. The last guy was honest about having been in prison and rehabilitating through this type of work. We always try to buy as it takes real guts to go door to door and frankly, though the quality of goods isn't great, the sellers are always polite. Next time they come I will just donate some money as we don't need any more dusters, dishcloths or tea towels. Fair play to them for trying to honestly rebuild their lives. If it's a scam it's not one that's paying well.

On 5 Dec 2014 at 5:22pm Fred Elliot wrote:
What , I say what`s with these ddoubble posts
On 5 Dec 2014 at 6:06pm Old Bloke wrote:
These are just kids that went off the rails and are trying to get back on the straight and narrow and earn a living.
They're doing their best in a difficult situation and despite all the hand wringing very few people are prepared to give them a job and the chance in life that goes with it. Hard enough to get a job if you've not been in gaol made even harder through being swamped by cheap labour from Europe and elsewhere that greedy employers are only too ready to take advantage of.
Have always found the door knockers polite and personable and they always leave our house with a nice few quid (much sooner give them my money than the local Bulgarian (or whatever) selling the Big Issue.
Trouble is the stuff they sell (in my experience) is not very good and the real criminals are those that supply them and expect them to sell at rip off prices to make the measly wages they have to work for at the same time as lining a con merchants pockets. The con merchant of course masquerades as some sort of angel with a social conscience who "helps" ex offenders.
Disgraceful the way we treat ex offenders and no surprise to me at all that most of them turn back to crime when they realise society doesn't offer them much else.
There'll be a lot of NIMBYS in Lewes where this is concerned - but they'll be happy to clutch their Guardians and chatter about it over a latte in the latest over priced cafe
On 5 Dec 2014 at 6:26pm Clifford wrote:
Good post Old Bloke - many recommends.

On 5 Dec 2014 at 11:05pm betwixt wrote:
don't quite understand the very last bit about nimbys and guardian readers, but all very helpful, thanks for the responses.
On 5 Dec 2014 at 11:36pm Old Bloke wrote:
It's quite easy to understand really.
Broadly speaking Guardian readers are posh people with a university education that think they are superior to us all at the same time as being sent to save the working classes (who they secretly despise).
They will chatter over their latte in Bills or similar awful place about what's good for ex offenders but turn their nose up when one knocks the door trying to earn a crust.
Lewes would be the ideal place for a bail hostel/ex prisoners halfway house and other things that would help people to stay out of trouble and away from crime. All the ideas put forward have never got off the ground = NIMBYS about
On 5 Dec 2014 at 11:50pm TDA wrote:
I'm working class, don't drink latte, like Bill's sometimes but sometimes read the Guardian. I do despise you Old Bloke for thinking such broadly generalised rubbish.
On 6 Dec 2014 at 7:48am xplorer1 wrote:
Rock on, TDA.
On 6 Dec 2014 at 8:22am ACAB wrote:
TDA is your name taken from your record sheet ?
On 6 Dec 2014 at 9:04am Historian wrote:
its amazing, I really that these guys can not get a proper job. You all say that they are polite, appear honest, they can obviously sell and are prepared to traipse around all day. I think all that, in its self, is worrying. Surely, there is something they could do given an opportunity.
On 6 Dec 2014 at 10:21am Ben wrote:
An interesting book has just been published called Brighton Knockers about the chaps that used to go round trying to pick up bargains/antiques from peoples homes - you can get it in City Lights bookstore in Brighton - Not quite the same as these guys but a quirky book about a bit of Sussex social history
On 6 Dec 2014 at 10:39am Old Bloke wrote:
@TDA if the cap fits wear it and it's exactly your size. Love it when you use expressions like "despise" - reveals a spiteful nature.

Why the need to state (claim) your "working class" credentials?
On 6 Dec 2014 at 10:42am Old Bloke wrote:
@Historian - how is it amazing they can not "get a proper job"?
Have you ever tried to get employment after a gaol sentence?
No thought not.
Made even more difficult for them by the mass unemployment successive governments have wreaked upon this country for years - more recently made far worse by the huge influx of cheap labour and black economy labour

On 6 Dec 2014 at 11:03am Southover Queen wrote:
Who runs these employment schemes? It's got nothing to do with the Probation Service, and a cursory search online shows that they've been associated with subsequent burglaries in some areas. You also need a licence to go door to door selling stuff, and it clearly isn't the very battered "ID" card they wave at you.

I'm more than happy to support the rehabilitation of offenders, but I'm really not keen on opening the door to a strapping lad peddling absurdly over-priced house-wares. There are many elderly people who would find that really threatening, and it goes against all police advice not to deal with doorstep sellers.

Check it out here »
On 6 Dec 2014 at 11:15am Historian wrote:
The Country isn't actually suffering from high unemployment, its really suffering from the other problem - high unemployable !!! Even a high street bank is advertising itself with a series of 'educational' lectures on telling youngsters just how to behave in an interview situation. okay some unlucky kids don't have parents, but most do, and all have teachers !! WTF are they teaching the kids nowadays ? textspeak ?

On 6 Dec 2014 at 5:48pm Doozy wrote:
The kids are so badly brought up its very hard to teach them. Have you tried?
On 6 Dec 2014 at 6:03pm Clifford wrote:
Old Bloke: I'm working class, I've got a degree, I can't stand Bill's and never have (the sort of people who went there put me off), I read the Guardian (and other papers), I'm left wing, and agreed with your 5 Dec post. Confusing, eh?

On 8 Dec 2014 at 11:55am Penguin wrote:
It is true that the term 'Guardian readers' may be a generalisation - I think it refers to the sort of people that generalise about 'Daily Mail readers'

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Twitten 95:143
Lewes Twitten

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy