Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

stolen grit

On 7 Jan 2010 at 8:10pm pinkylish wrote:
i saw a man in a burgandy range rover shoveling grit from the car park at the top of east street into a bin and loading it into his range rover, is this allowed?

On 7 Jan 2010 at 8:39pm doh wrote:
obviously not - let the Policehave his reg no.

On 7 Jan 2010 at 9:00pm GC wrote:
Well if he's taking it to make somewhere safe then good on him. Our bloody gritters havent been out have they !!!!

On 7 Jan 2010 at 10:52pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
With so many people unable to get to work, why not all get out with the shovels and help ourselves with clearing the pavements at least - making them passable and safe. I might not have fallen today and mashed my hip if the Cliffe had been clear...
I would happily join a town 'works party' to help out especially as the thrill of toboganning has dimmed somewhat....
And can I thank all those who are clearing the pavements and roads outside their homes. You are the people who really do make a difference to our everyday lives and the community.

On 7 Jan 2010 at 11:40pm The Webmaster wrote:
Definite contender for Post of the Week

On 8 Jan 2010 at 12:01pm LTR wrote:
Yes I agree Brixtonbelle. Whoever took all the grit from the east St car park should be embarassed, because I have noticed it is on eof those areas that is very dangerous, yet much of it has been cleared by residents. If there was some kind of strategy (obviously isn't one that works) this road would have been prioritised.

On 8 Jan 2010 at 1:30pm 40 something wrote:
I heard that if you clear your path and then someone slips, they can sue you but if you leave it, and they slip, they can't sue you. Does anyone know if this is true?

On 8 Jan 2010 at 1:55pm Down and Out wrote:
How many bleedin' times?
You cannot be sued for clearing the pavement unless the aggrieved party can prove that you cleared it with malicious intent or in someway acted in an unreasonable way or in bad faith.
Well, to be precise, you could be sued but you wouldn't lose.
You are more open to being sued for FAILING to clear a path which is on your property - ie if your postie or milkie slips

On 8 Jan 2010 at 2:00pm LTR wrote:
Thanks yet again Dand O. Its the power of the urban mythh, and the gutter press who perpetuate it with unsubstantiated stories.

On 8 Jan 2010 at 3:57pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm definitely in favour of getting together and clearing/gritting if the council won't do it. I'm damn sure that if there had been grit bins/deliveries on the Nevill, the residents would have kept the roads and pavements safe. Maybe we should all reallocate £50 or so of our council tax to buy grit for next year.
A nurse at PRH told me today that the hospital trust was suing Brighton council for putting them in a state of emergency by failing to keep the pavements safe. I wonder if I can sue ESCC for my lost earnings caused by my broken arm?

On 9 Jan 2010 at 12:43am Know-it-all wrote:
I'm sure if enough people got together, all with broken arms and injuries caused by the councils lack of grit and planning, a lawyer could take all the claims as one to the courts and if your lucky as no win no fee.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 1:05am Brixtonbelle wrote:
ACT - surely you can claim statutory sick pay after 5 days off self certified ? - have you looked into this ? Most employers arn't so brutal nowadays to not pay at least half pay - especially if you are back to work pretty swiftly.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 12:35pm 40 something wrote:
Chill out, I only asked. Snow need to be so frosty.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 12:52pm Interested. wrote:
I was talking to someone who works at ESCC a couple of weeks back and he said that the grit bins in Lewes are filled regularly but it disappears so quickly as folk take it to put on their paths etc.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 1:15pm Lopster wrote:
I too have heard REPEATEDLY not to clear pavements - BUT praise when others have done it as even two "normal" steps rather than tense-buttock-clenched-tippytoes makes a journey easier just to b able to stamp the snow off helps - just out to do mine now...
as for Grit bins - WHAT grit bins? - the three I know of have all disappeared sometime in the last 6 years - were they still there then I too would collect bucket loads, but only to put on pavements around my house - probably what Range Rover man was up to

On 9 Jan 2010 at 1:27pm Interested. wrote:
There was a warning put out on Sky news yesterday to be careful if you clear the paths and pavements out side you house as if there is a fall you could end up getting sued.
Arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 10 Jan 2010 at 12:42am Sky high wrote:
That's not what I heard them say!
The problem is if it is not cleared effectively i.e. leaving a pile of snow/ice on the 'boundary' which someone may trip/slip on.
If you allow a hedge to grow over the pavement you may also be liable and the law is tested in the same way.
How do you greet a goldpanner - Aye you!

On 10 Jan 2010 at 12:09pm Snowman wrote:
They spoke briefly about clearing the snow from in front of your house and being responsible if anyone had an accident on the Andrew Marr show this morning. They did not say that it was a myth. Is there anyone that actually has the legal knowledge to confirm either way - do you Down and Out ? (don't take that the wrong way, I am not saying you are wrong), it just seems that if it was a myth then they should have made a point of saying so.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 11:48am Rookie wrote:
This is from the Health and Safety Executive..............................
I quote:
"Under current legislation, householders and companies open themselves up to legal action if they try to clear a public pavement outside their property. If they leave the path in a treacherous condition, they cannot be sued".
So if you clear your bit of pavement is it worth the hassle of a court case even if you win?

On 11 Jan 2010 at 7:17pm 40 something wrote:
Down and Out, you were talking b....cks really, weren't you?

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:12pm Down and Out wrote:
There is advice from a solicitor on the BBC website and a solicitor was on Radio 4 this morning (confirming exactly what I said). The HSE advice is ludicrously defensive. Yes. there is a theoretical possibility that you "open yourself up" to being sued. But there is a huge difference between being "open" to being sued and being at any risk of losing. The HSE advice is like saying it's OK to own a car but you shouldn't ever drive it, because the second you do you "open yourself up to being sued".
It seems we now live in a world where, if you see someone having a heart attack in the street you should ignore them, because if you help them there's a possibility you could face legal action if you do something wrong. Personally my view is 'F--k that b-ll-cks'. I will continue to do what I think is helpful rather than what I'm scared of a minute, remote possibility of being sued for.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes pottery 75:132
Lewes pottery

I'm all for being open-minded, cynical and skeptical about narratives, big business, big-pharma etc....but where was your... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina