Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

scores on doors

On 15 May 2011 at 6:55pm ali wrote:
I would just like to declare that the Shanaz on the high street in lewes has recieved a top 5 star rating from the food standards agency. check out what other places in lewes have been rated at

Check it out here »

On 15 May 2011 at 8:55pm Decent Citizen wrote:
VERY interesting! Thankyou ali

On 15 May 2011 at 10:06pm burp wrote:
You're better off eating at HMP Lewes than Prezzo or Bill's. Doesn't surprise me.

On 15 May 2011 at 10:30pm Chuck wrote:
Spice Merchant has a rating of 1. Unbelievable.

On 15 May 2011 at 11:07pm Catlin wrote:
There are plenty of other surprises too. Some places are so ashamed that hey are not displaying their scores, but sadly, there is no legal obligation so to do.

On 16 May 2011 at 12:35am Terry Waite's Allotment wrote:
check out that produce store's score!

On 16 May 2011 at 2:20am John wrote:
Ali, talk about milking the situation!!!!!

On 16 May 2011 at 9:37am Huh? wrote:
Hang on, why has Argos a) got a rating and b) 5 stars?

On 16 May 2011 at 9:41am Prawn Cracker Chris wrote:
Beijing didn't do very well, won't be going there again

On 16 May 2011 at 9:43am Prawn Cracker Chris wrote:
Staff canteen Huh?, Are you stupid? It's anywhere that prepares food that isn't a private dwelling.

On 16 May 2011 at 9:49am Prawn Cracker Chris wrote:
The Lewes Arms got a 2!

On 16 May 2011 at 9:58am regular customer wrote:
You weren't shouting about the original 2 rating they gave you in the first place. Nice to see you've improved. Apparently furniture and the likes are taken into consideration so pubs etc. with "older" furniture can't attain 5 stars. 3 is generally satisfactory so for somewhere with immaculate furnishings to score less than that means the "improvements needed" are all in the kitchen.

On 16 May 2011 at 10:23am 'ere be monsters wrote:
3 seems ok, 2 is probably not much wrong, but below that I think there are real problems. 4 and 5 you're paying for the fancy furniture.

On 16 May 2011 at 10:27am Ebygad Runny wrote:
The bus station oil riggers cafe not even on there. Must be good then lol

On 16 May 2011 at 10:35am LDC Worker wrote:
Yes it is, look under Collison. They scored really badly.

On 16 May 2011 at 11:08am Twinky wrote:
EBM - 4 and 5 you're paying for the fancy furniture - you mean like Lazzati's and the prison - wouldn't call either of them fancy?
Actually, I see Shelleys got a 1. I wonder if the new owner of Shelley's can comment on the difference between the food there and at the prison?

On 16 May 2011 at 11:09am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Can't see an entry for Collison

On 16 May 2011 at 11:11am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Yeh, sorry The Bus Station Cafe. 2 is probably a few minor problems that have probably been sorted by now in all fairness.

On 16 May 2011 at 11:44am Badger McKnight wrote:
In even more fairness, how can a greasy spoon be put on the same record as a fancy restaurant? It's like Jeremy Clarkson slagging off the latest Bentley, then a council lag praising the latest Lada, In essence making the Lada a better motor on paper (or online as the case may be). lol

On 16 May 2011 at 12:04pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Lazzati's has nice up market furniture and I bet the prison's furniture and equipment is high spec. Can't expect those poor lags to sit on ordinary furniture. I think Badger has a point there.

On 16 May 2011 at 1:23pm Belladonna wrote:
This is about the hygiene standards, not the quality of the food. It's not the Michelin guide, but simply tells us how clean the premises are - or appear to be.

On 16 May 2011 at 1:32pm Egon Ronay wrote:
Because, Badger, these rankings are for hygiene, not the standard of the cuisine. A greasy spoon or a kebab shop can be as hygienic as anywhere else, or to use your analogy, a Lada can be just as clean as a Bentley.

On 16 May 2011 at 1:33pm Egon Ronay wrote:
Sorry Belladonna, did not mean to repeat what you said - your post wasn't there when I started!

On 16 May 2011 at 2:48pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
It is not just about hygiene as previously described.

On 16 May 2011 at 3:46pm Never been to Chaula's wrote:
Can we involve some politics in this thread please as it's quite boring without any. Or at least some one upmanship?

On 16 May 2011 at 3:55pm Southover Girl wrote:
Always said the Shanaz was great! Been getting my takeaways from there for the past 15 years! Love it.

On 16 May 2011 at 4:06pm Southover Girl wrote:
Where is the Oyster Project Drop in Community Cafe score?
They got a 5 too.

On 16 May 2011 at 5:09pm Egon Ronay wrote:
If it is not just about hygiene EBM, then why does the website say?
"The food hygiene rating or inspection result given to a business reflects the standards of food hygiene found on the date of inspection or visit by the local authority. The food hygiene rating is not a guide to food quality."

On 16 May 2011 at 5:31pm Stars in their eyes wrote:
Although the score is related to hygeine the score is arrived at by considering several different aspects, not just the cleanliness of the place. Important aspects include record keeping etc. So a place could be spotlessly clean but if there are no records of when and how often things were cleaned then they will lose marks
On 17 May 2011 at 12:34am Ali wrote:
John why wouldn't I? Regular customer it is true that our original rating was 2stars. This is because we were inspected during our renovations in 2009. I overlooked having a revisit after our reopening. The EHO cannot change their findings without a revisit. Please do look up the date of that rating, if you can't find it feel free to pop in, as I have it at the restaurant. Southover girl thank u for your kind words.

On 17 May 2011 at 8:53am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Egon, it is also about furnishing and decorations, old or new make a difference to the score.
It is a shame you didn't mention the 2 score Ali before trumpeting about the 5. You're were still the best in town though even with a 2.

On 17 May 2011 at 11:25am Egon Ronay wrote:
Yes EBM, because the furnishings and decorations can have an effect on the hygiene. The point I am making is that this is not a rating of the quality of the food, so a greasy spoon can appear alongside a fancy restaurant

On 17 May 2011 at 12:40pm queequeg wrote:
If it was anything to do with furniture then how did the Swan get a 5. Well done Ali it's good to see my earlier comparison of SM and Shanaz has some scientific basis.

On 17 May 2011 at 12:56pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
It wasn't me that said they couldn't

On 17 May 2011 at 12:57pm Mustafa Hottawon wrote:
Oh come on. A curry house is a curry house. If I have a curry and I'm not sweating, with numb lips by the end of it and if the next morning I don't suffer Ghandi's revenge, then I feel hard done by. It also helps to of had several pints of something cold beforehand from one of the few hostelries. Why has Ali, or any of the others not thought of buying one of the pubs and calling it the PreCurry Arms? lol

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy