Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

police driving

On 12 Sep 2012 at 4:55pm wanderer wrote:
another police smash, This time top of Kingsley rd.
Looked like police were overtaking then hit a nissan micra...
The words "Well done" come to mind

On 12 Sep 2012 at 5:05pm Hello Trevor wrote:
I wondered what all the sirens were about! Hope nobody is hurt.
On 12 Sep 2012 at 5:20pm jo wrote:
well the poor young girl will be in the wrong . not the ploice wait and see
On 12 Sep 2012 at 5:36pm the other side wrote:
yeah that 'poor girl' didnt see the massive bright yellow and blue battenburg or the deafening siren or blinding lights. and she didnt see it coming. of course its the old bills fault its not like they are advanced drivers or anything. i bet they just left the station with the sole intention of smashing into an innocent motorist cause they are all power hungry bullys.
ill tell em not to rush when you calk em cause you are being attacked.
On 12 Sep 2012 at 5:51pm Clifford wrote:
We'll just have to wait to see where they were speeding to, won't we, the other side and Townie?
On 12 Sep 2012 at 6:06pm the other side wrote:
clifford they cant just speed about unless it is an emergency. they have little black boxes in their cars which log exact speed location breaking etc. the reality is they are more accountable then the haters would like you to believe. i know that whenever the police have an accident the black box is examined and can be used to prosecute the officer if they are at fault. i know this as my cousin works at the police garage up the top of town.
On 12 Sep 2012 at 7:07pm Clifford wrote:
The attached will interest you the other side.

Check it out here »
On 12 Sep 2012 at 7:17pm Fair cop guv wrote:
If you don't run they won't need to chase

On 12 Sep 2012 at 8:23pm In the know wrote:
Have some consideration 'the other side' for the 'poor girl' who was hit !

On 12 Sep 2012 at 8:45pm just saying wrote:
Doesn't your link prove theotherside's point, Clifford? The police driver featured was sent down for dangerous driving.

On 12 Sep 2012 at 10:23pm Clifford wrote:
The item was for interest, just saying, not to make a point.
On 13 Sep 2012 at 12:43am IMEYOU wrote:
It matters not, Whatever the incident, the plod car was driving to close or to fast for the conditions at the time to be able to stop quickly in a safe manner, At the time of the incident the weather was fine with a 100% visibility range and with a 100% dry road and a 30mph speed limit, Bus Stop, Junctions Ahead, and a School Crossing eminent, so the buck lies with the driver not driving with due care and attention and possibly dangerous driving according to the law and the Highway Code and failing in his/her duty to abide to the Roadcraft Police Driving Handbook. As the Police say, Accidents are avoidable if you play by the rules, clearly this driver chose to play against those rules ! . Blues and Twos are no excuse !
On 13 Sep 2012 at 9:34am No win no fee wrote:
Accidents do happen , it's just now we need to pin the blame on someone which means by definition these accidents can't be called that , maybe the driver of the other car did something unpredictable , as an earlier poster said we will have to wait an see , if it wasn't a police car I dont think this post would have any legs ,

On 13 Sep 2012 at 11:25am Ed Can Do wrote:
This finger pointing and blame culture is one of the worst things to ever happen to this country. Thanks to abulance chasing lawyers looking to generate compensation cases out of nothing all over the place we have higher insurance costs, a ridiculous health and safety blanket over everything and organisations like the police and ambulance service are burdened in a way that affects their ability to do their job properly.

Before compo lawyers became so prevalent, this accident would have been treated as just that. The woman would have made an insurance claim and the cops would have paid to repair her car. Now there'll be a police officer off the streets for a day filling out forms and possibly longer if the incident is deemed serious enough to warrant a more thorough investigation. The woman in question might decide that a repayment for the damage to her car isn't enough and pursue a compensation claim for injury and loss of earning s and trauma and whatever else and instead of spending money on police matters, they'll be forking out for that.

I'm not trying to belittle the accident, I have no idea of the circumstances. I'm just saying that being so desperate to apportion blame helps nobody in the long run. I miss the days when there actually was such a thing as accidents.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 12:08pm Townie wrote:
@Ed can do. Possibly the best post ive ever read on this site.

On 13 Sep 2012 at 1:37pm someone else wrote:
Ed Can Do - I'm not a fan of the compensation culture either. But the thing is this: you wrote your comment a day after the publication of a report exposing possibly the worst incident of police lying and cover-up this country has ever seen. And when de Menezes was shot, the initial police reports were later shown to have distorted the real events. And when Ian Tomlinson was killed, the initial police reports were later shown to have distorted the real events. And when, last year, the shooting of Mark Duggan led ultimately to riots across London, the initial police reports were later shown to have distorted the real events.

Of course, I'm not saying that a minor car crash is the same as a shooting. Also, I don't expect the police not to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. But what I would like is to live in a country where, when the police make mistakes, they own up to them. I certainly wouldn't like, as at Hillsborough, to be the father of a dead ten year old whose corpse was subjected to a blood-alcohol test because the police lied. So in the context of just how much evidence there is showing that the police lie when they screw up, it is hardly surprising that they should be expected to go to extraordinary lengths to establish exactly what happened whenever there is an 'accident'.
On 13 Sep 2012 at 9:09pm Local wrote:
I expect the rozzers were hurrying to pick up some more food from somewhere. Eating's all they seem to do these days...

On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:09pm Guildenstern wrote:
I saw the accident. The Micra was waiting just inside the centrline to turn right onto the Landport ramp having driven from the town. The police car was travelliong in the same direction. Siren and lightd both on. There was no traffic coming down the road from Offham. The police car moved to the right to overtake. The Micra then moved across toward the ramp leaving the Police car no chance to either brake or swerve past.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:25pm Madge wrote:
Guildenstern - thank goodness someone saw it and can stop all this speculation & poor comments about what happened. Do you know if anyone was badly injured? Irrespective of the cause lets hope everyone involved is ok.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:37pm Bongo wrote:
I had the importance of a 'lifesaver' drummed into me when I was learning to drive - a quick glance over your right shoulder before a maneuver saves many a calamity!
On 14 Sep 2012 at 1:51pm Peter Pan wrote:
Sounds to me that the girl in the Micra was in the right place and doing the right thing ,surley the Police should have been passing on the inside ,or am I reading this all wrong

On 14 Sep 2012 at 2:29pm Old Bag wrote:
The road's too narrow at that point for a vehicle to be able to pass on the inside if there's a vehicle waiting to turn. It sounds rather as if the girl in the Micra had completely failed to hear or see the police car with blues and twos approaching from behind and didn't check her mirror before beginning the manoeuvre either. "Mirror signal manoeuvre" was drummed into me when I was learning to drive... The police driver would have assumed that the Micra driver was waiting for them to overtake, particularly in the absence of oncoming traffic.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 2:36pm someone else wrote:
Assumption, as they say Old Bag, is the Mother of all __k-Ups.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 2:41pm Old Bag wrote:
True enough, someone else. Okay: basic answer to Peter Pan's question is that the road isn't wide enough to allow a vehicle to pass another on the inside, so the police would have had either to stop and wait behind her or attempt to overtake (which is apparently what they did).

On 14 Sep 2012 at 4:45pm Mad Hatter wrote:
Maybe the girl in the Micra did hear the police car coming, and tried to turn into Landport to get out of its way? After all, if you hear a police car coming up behind you, it is natural to try and clear the road for it, especially if you are just sitting there in the middle of the road. Why would she assume that it would try and pass her on the right when she was clearly in the process of turning that way? Seems a bit reckless of the police driver to assume that she would do anything else really. To say the police would have had to stop and wait behind her is a bit silly too, because they would have been able to see that there was nothing coming in the other direction (otherwise they would not have overtaken, would they?), and therefore pretty obvious that the girl was going to turn. It's a good job there was nobody turning left out of Landport at the time as that would have been a completely different story.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 4:56pm Bongo wrote:
Maybe micra driver was deaf, and didn't hear the sirens. Maybe micra driver could hear them, and thought they ought to complete the intended maneuver and get out of the police car's way but misjudged it's speed.
Personally, I wouldn't have overtaken unless micra driver made a clear indication that they knew I was there - like turning off the indicators for example.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 6:04pm Peter Pan wrote:
If somebody was turning right ,only a total idiot would try to pass on the o/s Always expect the unexpected that surely is the first thing you learn as a skilled and advanced driver, always hold back and just access the situation dont drive into it. Hope the poor girl is O.K and not to badley shocked hate to think what her insurence renewel will cost ,hard enough for these kids to afored insurance cover as it is

On 14 Sep 2012 at 6:26pm Clifford wrote:
Ed Can Do wrote: 'This finger pointing and blame culture is one of the worst things to ever happen to this country.'
Second only, of course, to the servile assumption that authority is always right. We've enough evidence, as someone else says above, to know that the first reaction of the police (and politicians and banks and big business) is to lie.

On 14 Sep 2012 at 11:23pm Madge wrote:
Maybe the girl didnt have her indicater going if the road was clear with no other traffic, we have all seen drivers who dont bother to indicate. Maybe she didnt hear the sirens or use her mirrors correctly. I drive in London a lot & am amazed how many distracted drivers (often with earphones, phones or loud music blaring) are completely oblivious to sirens. Im not saying police were not in the wrong but its cant be easy to manouver or second guess what many drivers will do under pressure. We none of us know what happened so its unfair to speculate, someone clearly made a mistake & if there were witnesses lets hope truth will out.

On 16 Sep 2012 at 11:36pm Bartleby wrote:
"This finger pointing and blame culture is one of the worst things to ever happen to this country. Thanks to abulance chasing lawyers looking to generate compensation cases out of nothing all over the place we have higher insurance costs, a ridiculous health and safety blanket over everything and organisations like the police and ambulance service are burdened in a way that affects their ability to do their job properly."
Actually health and safety legislation and the enforcement of civil remedies have been a huge factor in this country being a much safer place than it once was. I think it's good that standards of clinical care have improved, that car manufacturers are forced (not enough) to produce safer vehicles, that labourers knowingly exposed by their employers to asbestos are able to seek some redress. Mostly the 'compensation culture' line is one promoted by insurers in their self-interest. 'Health and safety gone mad' etc is a right wing line pushed by businesses who want to deregulate, i.e. avoid accountability for their actions.
It's just nonsense and if you think things were better in the 50s you are wrong. IMO

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

Thanks for the feedback on my debating technique Tom but I have to point out that if I was after help with how to debate I... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams