Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

parking

On 23 Jun 2007 at 9:13pm parking wrote:
two questions. 1) parking zones, do wardens still have the power to issue tickets outside of zones? 2) in the outskirts of town do they really need to be driven out and picked up to issue tickets?

On 24 Jun 2007 at 8:26am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Recently I have witnessed the new approach.....NCP employee on moped (with L plates) sneeking around the town and issuing tickets..............then "speeding" off.

On 25 Jun 2007 at 8:54am council bod wrote:
yes they can issue tickets anywhere in the lewes area also seaford area and as far as falmer so yes they do need to be driven out

On 25 Jun 2007 at 8:58am council bod wrote:
would you say the same if it was a policeman giving a ticket?

On 25 Jun 2007 at 9:06am Andy wrote:
Spinster....if people didn't park illegally, there wouldn't be ANY tickets issued.....quite logical when you think about it !!!

On 25 Jun 2007 at 1:22pm Maddy wrote:
But where are they when you need them eh??
NCP recently issued my other half with two tickets even though he was parked in a Zone B bay, and we have a Zone B permit. Apparently somebody needed to bay for a removals van and they phoned him with half an hour's notice - but we were on holiday in India at the time and couldn't pick up any messages. Silly us for going on holiday and leaving the car parked somewhere covered by our permit.
Meanwhile, parking wardens seem INCAPABLE of fining THE B*STARDS who park on Fisher Street EVERY NIGHT blocking WHAT IS ALREADY A NARROW PAVEMENT ON ONE SIDE AND WHERE THERE IS NO PAVEMENT ON THE OTHER SIDE so they can pick up their takeaways or, worse, eat in while their cars are parked on the double yellows outside. This is not just inconsiderate to pedestrians (and indeed other drivers trying to get past), it is also dangerous - forcing them to walk in the road.
Can't one of the wardens work a late shift?

On 25 Jun 2007 at 2:13pm Andy wrote:
You're wrong Maddy....people park next to the Dilraj/andy and marvins where there is a pavement on the opposite side of the road. Doesn't take much to just walk the 4 yeards to the other side does it now.
The only time i've ever seen the road blocked in Fisher street is when a delivery van is parked on the corner and a bus needs to get through....nothing to do with picking up a take away !!!

On 25 Jun 2007 at 9:11pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Council Bod,
If the police were to issue a ticket I'd be delighted as they seem powerless to enforce anything these days. The extortionate amounts of paperwork that they have to content with appears to deter them upholding the law.
Andy,
I'm one of those who has been issued with a ticket on two occasions for incorrect reasons. The first was I was loading in a road that is outside the enforcement area (resulted in NCP withdrawing the notice after 5 months) and the second was for not displaying a pay & display ticket even though I was parked in a permit only zone and displaying a valid permit (still under dispute 3 months later and now threatened with 90 fine).
Maddy,
Thoroughly agree with your sentiments about parking and obstruction in Fisher Street, in particular opposite the Star Gallery which has no pavement outside and is prone to obstructing very easily. Main offenders appear to be those with disabled badges, but I'll start a new post for those!

On 26 Jun 2007 at 7:27pm council bod wrote:
Hi Spinster Of This Parish well now i see why you are upset about parking coz u got a ticket or two you should have checked to see if the bay was suspended, if there was no sign up u will be ok as ncp take photos when they put signs up and if your car was parked in the bay when the sign went up they will have noted your reg no and your appeal will stand, However if you just did not see the sign errrrr it will cost u. good of ncp to phone u though at least they tried to help u if that was Brighton they would not have phoned you you . You would have had the ticket in 5 mins thats the thing with ldc at least they give you a fighting chance other councils don't .

On 26 Jun 2007 at 7:35pm Andy wrote:
You should've eaten your grapes quicker Spinster....they've gone very sour now !!!

On 26 Jun 2007 at 7:43pm Maddy wrote:
You're the one whose wrong Andy... you seem to be saying that it's ok for cars to park on the pavements and double yellow lines on Fisher Street and that pedestrians should expect to walk around them... I wasn't talking about road blockages - though I've seen it plenty of times with rubbish trucks etc trying to get though - I was saying that I don't see why I should walk in what's quite a busy road because lazy sod fancies a curry and can't be bothered to park round the corner... or are you defending them because you;re one of the culprits??

On 26 Jun 2007 at 8:18pm Andy wrote:
You don't have to walk in the road....you just have to cross it to get to the other pavement.....a task that takes all of 10 seconds. There's usually enough room to get a buggy or a pretty large person down the pavement when cars are parked outside the Dilraj or Beijing
I'm not one of the culprits....i live in Stansfield road (town end of Landport) and always enjoy the walk to pick up my takeaway.
If that's all you've got to complain about, you need to get some therapy

On 26 Jun 2007 at 8:27pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Council Bod & Andy,
Please take care to read and digest the content of my posts before replying.
To reiterate a few points,
- I never said anything about NCP phoning me (no they didn't)
- No sign was up (read the post for details)
- Sour grapes? I don't think so - rather a glass of delightful Merlot

On 26 Jun 2007 at 9:37pm Maddy wrote:
And you nned to stop berating people for not parking according to 'the rules' and then defend the motorists who park on pavements instead!
Maybe it seems like a small issue to you... but if parking is such a big issue for the many motorists who complain about it on this site then the rules should apply to everyone, don't you think? Whether they park in the wrong zones, on pavements, on double yellows, overstay their ticket time by three minutes...?
Besides, I don't think it is wrong for people to show each other consideration in small towns...

On 26 Jun 2007 at 9:41pm Maddy wrote:
Council bod, do you not know how to use punctuation and capitalisation... and is that one of the reasons you've ended up working to defend the council's use of the NCP-bandits?

On 27 Jun 2007 at 7:49am dyl wrote:
You are all pretty pathetic.
There are terrible floods, illegal wars and God alone knows how many other important issues and all you can bleat about is the fact that you can't park where you want, when you want.
Grow Up!!!

On 27 Jun 2007 at 8:03am council bod wrote:
Hello Maddy no i don't bother with punctuation whats it to you anyway what foul language you use i expect you were not brought up but dragged up i expect you are the sort of person that drives round in a 4 x4 and parks where you like disregarding
all rules and regulations hope your next ticket sticks and hope you have many more amen.

On 27 Jun 2007 at 10:22am Maddy wrote:
I don't drive, actually. Sometimes I cycle, but mostly I walk and use trains. I hate 4x4s.

On 27 Jun 2007 at 3:34pm Andy wrote:
dyl.....life goes on i'm afraid. There will always be issues less important than wars, floods and god knows what.
Have you thought about slitting your wrists ;o)

On 27 Jun 2007 at 3:55pm Braindead wrote:
DYL....go to the BBC Have you say website if you want to talk about those issues...THIS IS A SITE FOR DISCUSSIONS ABOUT LEWES....

On 27 Jun 2007 at 4:57pm dyl wrote:
Then talk about Lewes.

On 27 Jun 2007 at 6:10pm Andy wrote:
We were discussing the parking in Lewes....among other things.
Find me one topic on here that's not Lewes orientated
FFS

On 27 Jun 2007 at 9:29pm The Super K wrote:
DLY. Thanks for your comments. I remember Lewes flooding a few years ago, no one in Sheffidld gave a CR4P about us.
And NOTHING is as important to the road users of Lewes than the parking scheme!
Another person with another one off post. Bet we won't hear from them again.

On 28 Jun 2007 at 10:57am Smiler wrote:
Is that what you want The Super K? is this a local forum for local people who agree with you then?

On 28 Jun 2007 at 12:20pm madge wrote:
Spinster
does it occur to you that most people with blue badge have them for a very good reason and being able to park outside an establishment (albeit a takeaway) on double yellow lines is there only way of retaining some independance. Who are you to make judgement on their needs, you have no idea what health problems people may be enduring. Just be grateful you are not in that position and concentrate your concerns on those who have no valid reason for parking 'illegally'.

On 28 Jun 2007 at 12:34pm The Super K wrote:
Smiler:- No if everyone agreed with me it would be a rather dull forum wouldn't it!
The latter part of my last post about road users was meant as a tongue in cheek/sarcastic comment. Couldn't you tell that from the tone in my voice!
This is a local forum for Local people ... There's nothing for you here.

On 28 Jun 2007 at 1:28pm Royston Vasey wrote:
Hello Dave....Hello Dave....You're my wife now...

On 2 Jul 2007 at 7:46pm Andrew Richardson wrote:
I disagree with that statement entirely. In my opinion, if there was *one single* reason to have parking restrictions in Lewes, it would be to stop illegal parking along Fisher street. Sadly, it seems beyond them to do this - cashing in instead on easy targets during the day, using impractical and obscure restrictions to achieve that aim. I often see cars drive on the pavement on the left hand side of the road to avoid cars parked stupidly on the right in Fisher Street in the evening. It's also a complete nightmare trying to turn right out of Market Lane. It doesn't help having to look out for illegally parked cars on the right when you can't see much to the left anyway. It's not as if the Needlemakers' car park is a long walk, and it's free when people are likely to be using the take aways anyway. I put it down to pure laziness.
NB. I appreciate that you said you don't do this.

On 3 Jul 2007 at 6:46pm eric wrote:
well said maddy

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Portal 74:132
Lewes Portal

Look at the e-mail address. This person is licensed to kill ... you wealth. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare