Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

not looking good

On 13 Apr 2010 at 7:47pm i dont like wrote:
has any one seen brightons new ground? to be fair to them it is going up quickly but what a eye saw and it has runied a beautifull landscape. i feel sorry for the people living in falmer

On 13 Apr 2010 at 8:09pm bazm wrote:
You miserable s**
I personally think its a magnificent looking stadium and blocks off some horrible buildings (view heading North from Woodingdean).

On 13 Apr 2010 at 8:31pm Eagles! wrote:
Hats off to the Seagulls, looks like it's gonna be a good stadium, certainly better that the current *hit hole! Should stay looking nice for years as Brighton as it will not get a lot of use as they have only a handful of supporters!! LOL

On 13 Apr 2010 at 8:50pm bazm wrote:
I would like to add that I'm not a Seagull supporter

On 13 Apr 2010 at 10:19pm MC wrote:
Moot thread.

On Sunday I cycled across the South Downs for the first time in a year or two. For miles a sea of rolling green hills leading to blue sea... the only blot being some horribly large construction in one of the valleys. It took me some time to realise it was the new stadium. I'm having trouble it was allowed in (or on the edge of?) a (at the time, soon to be) national park.

You've got to feel sorry for Falmer too. First divided down the middle by the A27 and then the southern half blighted by this monstrosity... not to mention the streams of "fans" who'll impose their "culture" on the place every weekend.

Caveat. Football has no place in my life. The immense popularity of the game and associated fanaticism both astonishes and puzzles me.

On 13 Apr 2010 at 10:55pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Rolling green hills - my ar*e. The horrible sprawl around Brighton along the coast and up to Falmer of suburban housing is a worse eyesore on the downs than the stadium. What were planners thinking back in the 30's 40's, 50's ?
Personally I think the new stadium looks amazing.

On 13 Apr 2010 at 11:18pm Tim wrote:
So its alright for a massive university campus to be spread across that area?
But a stadium that will bring thousands of jobs and is planned to facilitate most of Sussex shouldn't be allowed because it looks as you put it "*hit".
Next your going to say Brighton racecourse is an eye sore due to the supporters stand.
Or the Pier ruins the sea.
Look at Premiership stadiums that have literally been put at the end of a housing estate.
The reason it is being built there is because there was no other place in Brighton that could facilitate this, have you tried going to a Brighton game, the traffic is a nightmare and disturbs people trying to get in and out of Brighton for their social outings.

This forum has turned into a place where people just want to moan about anything and everything. If you didn't want it there you should of joined the argument a year ago. They aren't going to remove it now because one sad sack thinks it ruins the downs.
I personally wish they stuck it right in the middle of the National Park just to upset tree huggers like you.

On 13 Apr 2010 at 11:27pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Its perfectly possible to be a tree hugger and like the new stadium, Tim !
It's not being built on top of Kingston ridge for gawds sake but next to a railway and major road and uni campus and suburban sprawl. Hardly pristine downland. If it was slap bang on the top of Kingston Ridge or Mount Caburn it would be a differnt matter.

On 13 Apr 2010 at 11:53pm MC wrote:
I think it might be that it sticks up a lot. It was certainly the only thing that I could see sticking out of the Downs from where I was.

I really don't mind being called a tree hugger. I care for our environment. It is not something I feel ashamed about. I'm not so happy about being called a sad sack... but think that the comment reflects more on Tim than myself.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 7:57am Prick Stein wrote:
It'll certainly be one of the best stadiums in the non-league!

On 14 Apr 2010 at 8:07am Toque wrote:
As far as football stadiums go it looks pretty good to me - but then I go to Stamford Bridge, which looks awful.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 8:14am 'ere be monsters wrote:
There was already planning permission for an industrial estate there anyway, so it was never going to stay, as what it was laughingly called, an area of outstanding natural beauty. I think it looks magnificent. It would appear that some are more opposed to football than the stadium. Bit harsh Mr Stein!!

On 14 Apr 2010 at 8:26am Mr Change wrote:
I am inclined to agree with the majority here, with the exception of Tim's attitude to people who give a sh*t if we take care of the world we live in for the next generations, like Brixtonbelle I am one of those people, and proud of it. I am not the slightest bit interested in football, and will probably never go to a see a game at this stadium, but I do know many people who get enormous pleasure from the game and for that reason I know this will make many people very happy, which is a good thing. Yes it is a shame for the people of Falmer but as someone already mentioned the A27 development already ruined their village years ago, and the area in general is hardly outstanding.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 8:33am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
How will the new stadium generate "thousands" of jobs, Tim? Is it goign to be a bloody great factory on non-match days? The Goldstone had a staff of maybe 3, a groundsman and a couple of odd-job guys. There were office staff, but they were to do with the club, which presumably still has staff somewhere.
I think the stadium is far more obtrusive than the university buildings. The bits that stick up are white, for a start. I also can't see what buildings it hides as you head north from Woodingdean, it is well to the left of most of the university buildings.
I also think it looks loathsome from the A27, but I agree that view could hardly be marred.
I also think the traffic may well be dreadful. How will people arriving by car access the stadium? Will it be from the turning opposite the farm shop, or elsewhere? I regularly drive over the downs to visit friends in Rottingdean and Ovingdean, and that road gets terribly busy at weekends. It can only be worse on match days imo.
I'm not convinced there was no better site. I think the site south of the A27 at West Hove/Hangleton was far better. And it was in Brighton & Hove, rather than on the edge of a rural area. The Falmer site is another example of Brighton inflicting their sh!te on Lewes district, like the sewage works and the incinerator.
Mind you, I'll freely confess to being very opposed to football grounds generally, having lived for many years within a mile of Selhurst Park and having a friend who lived about 500 yards from Upton Park. Imo they should all be on uninhabited islands so no-one has to be anywhere near them.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 9:25am 'ere be monsters wrote:
I don't know how many more jobs the stadium will produce, but as a Community Stadium it will be used far more often than home games for The Albion. To suggest the club is run by three people shows nothing more than disrespect. the only traffic allowed into the stadium on match days will be away supporters coaches, or the mini bus from Selhurst, players, officials and VIPs. Anyone arriving by car will be directed to the new car park being built behind the university. So don't worry your trips to Rottingdean shouldn't be any more arduous than they already are.
The site at Hove/Hangleton has no rail link, nor has Sheepcote Valley in Whitehawk, Waterhall has a railway right next to it but a station couldn't be built on that stretch of the line. The only part of the development in the LDC area is part of the coach park.
One of the best stadiums is the Millenium Stadium, right in the middle of Cardiff, next to the railway station, pubs and restaurants. There's no complaints from locals about that. That's rugby though, a far better sport.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 10:20am Feline wrote:
As someone who lived in Cardiff and who's best friend is there - I can promise you that many people in Cardiff loathe having the Millenium Stadium where it is because it makes the centre virtually a no-go area when anything is on. My friend works right next to it and lives a couple of miles away and spends alot of time trying to avoid the impact that it has on transport etc. Many people in Cardiff think it should have been built at Cardiff Bay.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 10:27am 'ere be monsters wrote:
there'll always be some.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 11:41am Down and Out wrote:
As someone who likes the Downs and football (tho' not BHA) I don't have an issue with it. It's still a construction site and I think it'll look fine when it's finished. I'd have like to have seen it built on the old Loco Works site next to Brighton station but the land values would never have stacked up.
I don't buy the traffic problem - no-one drives to Withdean at the minute because they know there's nowhere to park (nor do they drive to the Emirates or Stamford Bridge either).
26 or 27 home games out of 365 days in a year. It's not earth shattering is it? I hate the concept of 'out-of-town' football grounds as much as I do out-of-town shopping malls. No-one ever suggests an out-of-town theatre do they? It's just dumb middle-class prejudice against those howwid oik proles who like football.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 1:35pm Prick Stein wrote:
To be fair, Glyndebourne is a kind of out of town theatre. I love the sight of all the poshed up toffs all together on the 'common' bus on their way there, you just know it's the first time they've been on such a mode of transport!
Anyway football is the one true sport (and cricket!) and Falmer was ruined long ago by the A27 and the Uni so a well landscaped attractively designed football stadium can only improve the place! And furthermore who actually makes a special journey to go to Falmer?! No one, it's just one of those places you go through to get to somewhere, nay anywhere, more exciting!

On 14 Apr 2010 at 5:10pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I didn't say the club had a staff of about 3, EBM, I said the Goldstone did. Even I'm not ignorant enough on footbaling matters to think you can run a club with 3 people.
I used to be very involved with safety matters at the Goldstone, whcih is how I know they had hardly any staff involved in running the ground. We used to deal directly with Bellotti.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 6:54pm leaf wrote:
I think it looks great, the uni next to it isnt so beautifull, nor are the rest of the buildings on that stretch. Its hasnt been plonked in the middle of rolling hills and woodland. you cant please everyone.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 7:50pm Andy wrote:
Taking away the yay's or nay's of the stadium, Falmer is going to be one of the country's finest stadium. I keep tabs on it's development and progress via BHA's fan's forum, northstandchat. It is going to be one of the most technologically advanced stadium of its type and there are certain aspects which are "years" ahead of its time. They're even thinking of selling Harvey's on match days.

From a personal point of view, despite being an ardent West Ham supporter, i've followed Brighton since my dad took me to the Goldstone in 1975 and have enjoyed some wonderful days following BHA. The new stadium looks spectacular and i just hope they can sustain the amount of support needed to push the club forward.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 12:38am BHA4EVA wrote:
SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGULLS! It's amazing this puppy got the go ahead but it's going to be there for a very long time now. In the words of one of Wales's finest sons, "this is life, get used to it". Tesco getting a 50% sqft extension, thats a different matter altogether. Wales had the sons of Glendower, Lewes has a great fire raising tradition too............................

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Baxters Print Works Lewes 8:143
Baxters Print Works Lewes

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa