Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

natasha leaving the rainbow

On 20 Jun 2008 at 8:24pm interested wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Natasha leaving the Rainbow? She has been there a while and although it was never the same as many years ago, will she be missed by Lewisian pub drinkers?

On 20 Jun 2008 at 9:11pm landlord wrote:
who cares?

On 20 Jun 2008 at 10:02pm sue wrote:
god with attitudes like that landlord no wonder people around sussex steer clear of lewes these days.All the good old folk of lewes who were a laugh seem to have moved or died and left the bitter ones.I say good luck to Natasha.

On 21 Jun 2008 at 4:42am Mella wrote:
I have never been the Rainbow apart from picking up my daughters and her friends to drive them home.
I do know that the Rainbow is one of the places where young people gather and her departure means that they might be looking for somewhere to go in Lewes ...
So... I believe that this change is going to affect many of those who have made the Rainbow a place to 'get together'.

On 22 Jun 2008 at 10:38am Killer T wrote:
OK I'll tone it down a little,
Hopefully now they will get someone in who will clean the toilets more than once a week and that will kick all the druggies out instead of joining in with them.
If your gaughter goes the Mella I'd be a little concerned with what she goes there for!

On 22 Jun 2008 at 11:27am a wrote:
The rainbow was alwys full of drugs and natasha had enough of the coke heads.

On 22 Jun 2008 at 1:38pm Mark wrote:
Best news I have heard for a long time.

On 22 Jun 2008 at 11:27pm Mella wrote:
Hmmm.. This is the problem... with young people.. When I have picked up my daughter from there, over the last year, I find that there are teenagers from Priory, the Old Grammar School... some have left but I know that year 11 and the year after + some year 10s used to get together at the Rainbow.... Many probably are not there legally.... but we have a problem with young people... They need somewhere to go. I have had my concern but basically, I am available and set rules, and I pick up, drop off at agreed times... and it restricts MY life to make sure that I keep an eye on what goes on.

On 23 Jun 2008 at 4:04pm The Super K wrote:
So the Youth Club leader is leaving, hopefully all the kids that drink there will follow!

On 23 Jun 2008 at 4:11pm Killer T wrote:
On 22/06/2008 a wrote:
The rainbow was alwys full of drugs and natasha had enough of the coke heads.

HA HA Natasha only threw them out when they didn't Share the coke with her!

On 23 Jun 2008 at 5:43pm Curious. wrote:
So was the Rainbow ever busted? Over the years I have heard which pubs are a bit 'active' in that department.Surely if there are youngsters involved the Police would hsve heard about it....

On 23 Jun 2008 at 5:56pm Like a smoke,NO to coke wrote:
I smoke grass now and then,don't have any problems.No psychosis etc,but coke...I have had family members and friends who have had awful problems with coke addiction.Luckily,I never went there.But I bet crack cocaine seems a cheaper alternative to cocaine when you first start taking it and I bet it gets a grip pretty quick....If Priory children are indulging it should be stopped and whoever knows who is dealing should grass them up.I don't agree with cocaine...Besides,it probably has very little of the active ingredient left by the time the dealers have mucked about with it.

On 23 Jun 2008 at 9:46pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Cannabis is a gateway drug and is linked to decreased cognitive ability.
But I love a diet coke!

On 23 Jun 2008 at 10:04pm Nat the fat wrote:
I saw some hire vans loading stuff out of the pub. Must be the baliffs haha. how come they didnt get clamped? They were parked on the pavement.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 3:01pm Mella wrote:
I was reading through the post since I pointed out that young people used to hang out at the Rainbow and looked at the reactions. What struck me is that actually nobody seems to really care about the next generation... and in my experience, this is the difficulty I am encountering in this culture.... Every culture has to deal with teenagers ... they are bombarded with our expectations, rules but....we want to be able to 'ignore them'.... many couldn't give a damn what they do as long as they are out of sight, and it doesn't disrupt precious lives (unfortunately some of the parents too!!!), demand any commitment from them as a member of the community.. ... and I think, we should not be surprised if we have problems collectively with teenage behaviour. I know because for the last 3 years I have dedicated so much effort .. and my biggest problem is the 'context'...
I am afraid this is not a culture that really likes children or young people.. and we are getting the fall out for it... I know I am making comments that might ruffle a few feathers but it is true.
This means that we have big issues now to deal with and there was another posting about behaviour of teenagers up near the Nevill shop.... And it is wrong... and I am sorry if an older person is taking the brunt of this ... something has to be done but the 'slap' will make no difference... you will find an 'upgrade' to hostile disruptive behaviour to something 'harder'.
To answer something else regarding the police... well, I have actually intervened in the past to point out the sale of alcohol to underage in Lewes at the Nevil Shop and also other places in Lewes.. Difference? I also pointed out to the police the massive sell of counterfeit idea that the kids used to buy alcohol.... I got lame excuse from the police saying that if it is bought from the Internet we cannot do much, there is no UK base.. So I went back and tracked down the UK address which was in the South East.... and gave it to the police and .. I heard more lame excuses...
I don't know what happened in the end with this in particular. There are many problems, none of which can be resolved by parents or individual members of the community... first, we need to accept our responsibility as a community for our teenagers..... i.e. collectively, not just individually as parents. It is needed too in some instances, but it is not sufficient.

On 24 Jun 2008 at 11:47pm Chav wrote:
I'll have a pint of whatever Mella's on.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 1:25pm The Super K wrote:
Put them all in the army and teach them some much needed disoplin.

On 26 Jun 2008 at 6:12am expat two wrote:
And maybe a bit of spelling.

On 7 Jul 2008 at 4:08pm not from around here wrote:
Mella, it really is about respect of each other. Teenagers have to be taught to respect others from an early age. Teens also have to be taught to be self sufficient and independent - and that includes getting themselves to and from the pub/night out without parent taking the role of taxi service.
In my experience if children/teens are taught respect for others. the law etc then even if they find themselves with a group of others on a night out they will behave well as they have been taught how to behave and understand the 'ground rules' of behaviour.
It is not our responsibility as a society to provide 'things to do' or 'places to go' for teens to keep them out of trouble. There were far less things to do when the previous generations were young and yet they managed to enjoy themselves without getting bored/drunk/drugged out of their heads.

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station Sunset 81:132
Lewes Station Sunset

Two thirds of the population say that it is dangerous to cycle on UK roads. If we are to encourage more people to use bikes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa