Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

lewes-ringmer cyclepath

On 1 Sep 2010 at 12:58pm stan wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point of the new cyclepath. If I was cycling towards Ringmer it involves two extra crossings of the main road for about a minute of traffic free travel.Seems a lot of money for not much benefit?

On 1 Sep 2010 at 1:56pm Chris Hoy wrote:
I disagree. That route is a cyclists deathtrap. I use the very dodgy path if I have to go that way. Bring on the cycle path, however short

On 1 Sep 2010 at 2:11pm stan wrote:
I just cannot see how it is safer to have to cross the busy road twice. I agree it is an improvement going the other way though.

On 1 Sep 2010 at 10:57pm brixtonbelle wrote:
We recently tried to use the Lewes cycle guide. There were only two cycle paths on it and they were both bridleways. We tried to use a designated cycle route from ham lane via the railway lands to the precinct and cliffe and were blocked by three padlocked gates and tiny kissing gates/ styles which we had to lug our bikes over. What a disapppointment. I thought Lewes was supposed to be a transition town and encouraging cycling ? It's no good producing leaflets promoting cycle routes if they are inaccessible or unsafe. Completely inadequate.

On 1 Sep 2010 at 11:32pm MuttsNuts wrote:
Totally agree stan. how much has been spent/budgeted for this. I wonder what budget cuts will come instead of that.
I've cycled all over the area for years and the ringmer run to and from lewes is served by a perfectly good footpath which could do with a bit of improvement to cater for cyclists.
Can anyone tell me why cyclists feel compelleded to ride on footpaths in the town, but wobble along on main roads when there is a perfectly good footpath beside it with almost no one using it, ie chailey to lewes?

On 2 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm teaboy wrote:
The problem is that the footpath is just that - a footpath. It is not a cyclepath, bridleway, etc and cycling on it is illegal. The Lewes-Ringmer footpath is not currently wide enough for dual use, and has always been in a shocking state. It simply isn't safe to ride on it after dark, or if anyone else is using it at the same time.
Personally I'd use the road anyway. Much safer.

On 2 Sep 2010 at 5:18pm SHS wrote:
Fully agree with Bell of Bricks. It's all spin, hype, gloss and expensive flash advertising. These new 'blue cycle expressways' in London are the biggest joke. I'm amazed but delighted that for the first time ever in the UK we now have a true useable cycle path, even if it is only 10 metres long on the edge of Ringmer. Someone should add up all the trillions of pounds that have been wasted over the last 260 weeks or so painting white lines on narrow crumbling pavements, erecting giant blue 'cycle path' signs to obstruct these pavements, allowing cars and lorries to further totally obstruct these pavements by parking on them, and then producing expensive self-promoting literature saying 'aren't we greeeeen!'. Visit Holland to see how to do it. Or take a 100% pay cut.

On 2 Sep 2010 at 8:10pm Fred wrote:
The path was funded by the company that built The Forges houses in Ringmer - so no costs to the council tax payer. That's why it doesn't come all the way into Lewes, the council won't pay the rest of the money to finish it. I imagine quite a few people will just cycle up to the gate at the Malling Down nature reserve and along to the top of Mill Road.

On 2 Sep 2010 at 11:21pm stan wrote:
Is that stretch being redesignated as a bridlepath then,Mill Road to the Malling Down car park£ That would make sense.

On 5 Sep 2010 at 8:40pm Vox Populi wrote:
@ Fred - where do you think the government grant to build a cyclepath comes from? You never get something for nothing... or do you?

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

To be fair, I think Dominic Cummings staying put is actually doing the Labour party a favour. He's manipulated people to become... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine