Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

is Lewes full of middle class idiots?

 
 
On 31 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm six toed banjo player wrote:
Nowadays walking around Lewes is like cardiovascular exercise.I get sooooo irrate at the amount of rude,ill mannered people pushing past me when i am with my 3 year old son.Here's a tip.If the path is rather narrow and you and your gaggle of git mates encounter someone else coming the other way.Don't square your shoulders and barge past forcing the confused and infinitely better mannered bumpkin into the road just walk single file for a short distance and share the pavement.You moved here from London because it is nicer.Don't bring your ratrace attitude with you.
 
 
On 31 Jan 2010 at 9:14pm Chip Onyershoulder wrote:
Pleased to see you are able to identify the previous home of all these people, and also know that they aren't just visiting. People are just rude, wherever you go, and when in groups are often distracted. just ask them to move (they might even apologise) and get over it, its hardly the worse thing that ever happened to anyone. At least you don't live in Haiti. They don't have pavements, or groups of happy people walking down a street.
1
 
On 31 Jan 2010 at 10:53pm DFL wrote:
As a DFL I have to admit that it is my own kind who make Lewes one of the rudest and most arrogant towns I've been to, far more ill-mannered than London. It's also pretty obvious looking at the most unpleasant people that they're DFLs who seem to imagine they're in some way 'creative' - though their only creativity is in having enough money to buy the rubbish their pals are producing.
2
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 12:17am six toed banjo player wrote:
People are not rude everywhere just in big cities and there is a huge difference from being distracted to being self absorbed.The look on these peoples faces Never ceases to amaze me when i point out their obnoxiuosness precisely because they are by their very nature very selfish and very,very obnoxious."At least i don't live in Haiti where they don't have pavements"PUUUUUULEEEEEESE,what does that have to do with anything other than middleclass guilt and to prove my original statement."Is Lewes full of middleclass idiots"I believe that's a resounding YES then.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 12:28am SHS wrote:
Maybe they were surrogates. I thought Lewes pavements were for parking on anyway? Agree 100% with your comments stbp.
1
1
On 1 Feb 2010 at 8:29am Prick Stein wrote:
The Haitians should count themselves lucky that they don't have wall to wall DFL's or the NCP lot or the clampers by Laura Ashley. Who needs pavements anyway it's not like they have many cars now!
2
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 11:00am major wrote:
Indeed, I too have noticed this inconsistent behaviour. When one is walking on the public footpath one should always keep to the left. For the safety and modesty of the weaker sex one should always keep the road side to ones left. If a female wishes to cross ones path one should offer assistance to cross the road and a salute to a fellow male on the other side of the roadway to assist the female on the other side. This worked very well in earlier times, particularly in Regent Street where, incidentally, persons of lower class were discouraged by officers of the law.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 11:54am Off-Message wrote:
Tip for school kids: if you walk together in a line and amble extremely slowly along the pavement, preferably smoking at the same time, that will provide an enjoyable experience for those lucky enough to catch you up from behind on their way to work. I just love dodging first the clouds of cigarette smoke and then, having done that and gained the necessary confidence, try my luck dodging the cars in the road as I quicken past.
1
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 11:58am Sherlock wrote:
Off-message - but as smoking will stunt their growth you should be able to step over them.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 12:25pm Off-Message wrote:
To complete the exercise I try adding the number of times I hear "And I'm like..." during the experience. Try it. You're doing well if you get 4 clouds of smoke, 2 near misses in the road, and 10 "And I'm like..."s.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 1:02pm six toed banjo player wrote:
Proving my original statement yet again.They are kids.Yes they are annoying but never the less kids all the same.I appreciate that in London and other large cities nowadays asking children to let you pass could result in a fatal stabbing(Well according to the Daily mail anyway)but here in lewes you are more likely to be confronted by nothing more than a surly look before they move aside and permit you to be about your merry way.This is exactly what i am on about.There is no need to step into the road only to later do exactly the same thing to someone else.Stop rushing about,courtesy takes so little time and makes the world of difference.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 4:03pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Actually, since being on crutches for a few months I've been impressed at just how curteous most people in town are, I've had nothing but offers of help any time I've been out.

Saying that people are only rude in big cities is naive and idiotic, there are rude people everywhere. Just because someone didn't let you past with a buggy, doesn't mean they have to have been brought up in a city. On the flip-side, I've encountered some really rude people pushing buggies over the years who seem to think the whole pavement should be cleared for them and their hugely over-sized Maclaren buggy so they can walk right down the middle of it rather than to the side then stop for an extended chat with another buggy pusher coming the other way right in everyone's way.

Some people are just rude, the best thing to do is be curteous yourself and lead by example.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 7:18pm six toed banjo player wrote:
I never said anything about being in a buggy.We were walking and i am always well mannered and polite.I was raised that way.While it may have been a wild generalisation to suggest that all people from cities are rude,it wasn't that wide of the mark when referring to ex city dwellers living in Lewes.It would appear that the only feathers i seem to be ruffling here are the very same people you see swanning around Lewes in their shiny new wellies,barbers and flat caps on a sunday morning talking about(adopts patronising manner)real Lewesians.This is not about having a bee in my bonnet over so called DFL's and just because you are middle class it doesn't mean that you automatically qualify as an idiot,it just seems that Lewes attracts the worst kind of vacuous,pretentious,elitist,arty fools.In short MIDDLE CLASS IDIOTS.
2
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 7:36pm DFL wrote:
The point i was making earlier is that it's worse in Lewes than in London - you hear more please, thanks and excuse me in London than you'll ever hear in Lewes from the middle-class DFLs. And don't forget their arrogant little Tarquins and Gemmas.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 7:36pm moody shop assistant wrote:
Talking of rude idiots anyone met the person in Help the Aged charity shop down the cliffe .We was in there today looking for a fireman sam video, When My lad took off his coat the shop manager came out and kicked his coat under the rails.
We said "Do you mind thats our sons coat" but we got no reply how rude?
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 7:51pm MCI wrote:
Is Lewes full of middle class idiots?
No, not all of the idiots are middle class.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 8:00pm Mr Toe wrote:
Ed Can do has veryu nice line spaces in his post. Why can't I do that?
Huh?
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 8:49pm six toed banjo player wrote:
(sigh)Of course not all idiots are middle class.Idiots come in a wide array of shapes and pretty colours but as i pointed out earlier Lewes does attract a high proportion of people who are both middle class and idiots.As a rule your garden variety middle class idiot is fairly easy to identify because if you mention idiocy and middle class together in the same sentence they generally start defensively spouting off in a blaze of indignant self righteousness.I asked if Lewes was full of middle class idiots,if that statement upsets you and you take it personally then maybe you need to sit down and really think about the signifigance of that.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 9:13pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Mr Toe, you need to put in two blank lines for it to show up as one for some reason.

Like that.
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 11:29pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
In answer to your question: It's not FULL of middle class idiots. But because the pavements are generally narrow, there does seem to be more jostling. As I try not to judge people by clothing, accent, colour etc, I don't speculate if they are middle class or not - after all - unless I enquire with YOUGOV poll and clipboard I just can't tell if they are middle class, dfl, idiots, old, young, etc. It's simple - they are just ill mannered.

Oh and my girl had to step off the pavement the other day into the road because some unthinking old farts didn't give her any space to walk as they passed. Obviously they were working class local Lewes t*ssers who think they own the place...NON ?
 
 
On 1 Feb 2010 at 11:36pm Down and Out wrote:
As a general rule, I'm with Slipknot on this.
 
 
On 2 Feb 2010 at 6:30am six toed banjo player wrote:
if you start your argument by claiming not to judge people because of accent,colour,clothing etc then it's a bit silly to end it with the quote"working class local lewes t*sser"Again i referr you to an earlier rant of mine further up the page.If you are middle class but not an idiot then there is no need to take it to heart and get all defensive because getting upset and using abusive language really just shows you for what i suspect you are.You know what that is right?Or do i have to spell it out for you too.
 
 
On 4 Feb 2010 at 12:49pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
STBP - the last comment was a joke to make people think about how silly it is to generalise and catagorise others.
never mind.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2010 at 10:42pm cheeky monkeys wrote:
a really nasty thing about middle class idiots seems to be their children's behaviour in monkey business. viciously territorial monsters who bully younger kids or toddlers if they dare to venture into claimed territory (a small plastic house for example). it's utterly vile when 5 year olds physically attack a 2 year old for straying into their base, more so when it's in the under 2 year olds corner. How can we expect middle class idiots to watch where they're going when they can't be bothered to keep an eye on their own children, or teach them simple manners and to be kind?


13 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Kingston Windmill 51:132
Kingston Windmill

Hm, I could recommend you Chameleon decorators and windows restoration This company uses vacuum-sealed double glazing technology... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine