Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

fleas

On 30 Jul 2012 at 2:52pm bitten wrote:
We have 3 cats and they have bought fleas into the house our carpet was jumping. The cats have been treated with frontline. The carpets have been steam cleaned washed and vacuumed (several times). We have used flea bombs and flea sprays. We are still finding them although much fewer than there were. I am vacumming the whole house twice a day. Any ideas on how to get rid of them completely? Incidently is there an infestation in Lewes? The pet shop seems to be quite bereft of sprays.

On 30 Jul 2012 at 3:29pm Southover Queen wrote:
It's the time of year: fleas love warm weather, particularly warm damp weather. You're doing the right thing but it will take a little while to work because you can only kill fleas at certain times in their life cycle. For instance, I don't think most flea products will kill their eggs. Vacuuming madly, just as you're doing, will gobble up most of the fleas (and the eggs) eventually.

Have you also been advised to get rid of or wash thoroughly soft fabrics like cushions or blankets, and also to vacuum the furniture? If the cats like to sleep in an old armchair or sofa, don't forget to hoover that thoroughly and repeatedly.

Are you using the vet strength Frontline? I have a feeling that the Bob Martin stuff you can buy in the supermarket is okay to keep them away once you've dealt with an infestation, but not strong enough to get on top of one in the first place.

Good luck!
On 30 Jul 2012 at 5:45pm Ed Can Do wrote:
We use stuff called Advocate on our cats that we get from the vet. The vet told us that as so many people use Frontline we're increasingly getting fleas that are resistant to it in this country. Seems to do the trick, although having a brand new kitten a bit too small for de-fleaing has meant I've picked up a couple of bites.

We're with Pet Doctors and on the healthy pets scheme where you pay a small amount monthly which covers flea treatment, worming stuff, jabs and all checkups. I forget exactly how much we pay but it works out pretty resonable over the whole year.

On 30 Jul 2012 at 5:47pm Lousyi wrote:
Repeat the treatment you have carried out on your cats, but this time on yourselves as your cats might catch fleas off you again!
If this fails get them a jump suit and enter them in the Olympics.

On 30 Jul 2012 at 5:56pm ex Southover Man wrote:
I had the same problem with my old cat (sadly now chasing mice on the ethereal ?plane/plain). I found out the same active chemical in Bob Martin is also found in cans of Raid (but only the one for non-flying insects). Bought a couple of cans in Sainsburys for a fraction of the cost of other sprays - did the whole house - left house for a couple of hours - never saw another one! Do make sure it's the correct can, otherwise you'll only be protecting yourself from flying ants, etc!

On 30 Jul 2012 at 7:13pm Mothical wrote:
Has anyone else got a number of baby clothes moths which flutter around at night, in spite of all the mothballs in wardrobes and drawers? They tend to go to sleep on white surfaces, so it is easy to kill those, but there always seems to be more around the next day. Any advice as to what I can do?

On 31 Jul 2012 at 1:09am IMEYOU wrote:
Its all really simples really, if you dont want fleas then dont keep animals. . . Simples !

On 31 Jul 2012 at 1:16am IMEYOU wrote:
Moths ? . . Just buy your self a fly squatter and splat the living day lights out of them or buy some of those sticky fly tapes and put them near bright lights and watch the buggers got stuck and try and escape !

On 31 Jul 2012 at 9:43am Mothical wrote:
Thanks, Imeyou, already using a swatter, but will try to get a sticky tape. Wot fun!!

On 31 Jul 2012 at 11:21am middleclassandabitsmug wrote:
Also consider spraying outside (when it's dry) in the yard or on the step. Particularly where the cat likes to lie in the sun.

On 31 Jul 2012 at 11:44am brixtonbelle wrote:
we use program for both our cats - available online without presecription . It breaks the lifecycle of the fleas on cats because when they suck the cats blood it somehow makes them sterile. Completely safe for the cats as well, used for years and dont have a flea problem at all. We do have a moth problem though - there was an epidemic last year apparently. You have to dry clean and vacuum pack all your woollens otherwise you will find them full of holes. I have a sacrificial jumper which seems to keep the moths away from my other clothes. If you have woollen carpets you need to spray with an insecticide which contains pymethrin (think this is the only one that is allowed by the EU). It's in all the anti insect products so like ex SM said, buy the cheapest you can find.

On 31 Jul 2012 at 12:58pm Southover Queen wrote:
I didn't know about program, BB: I'll check that out.

The trick with woollen carpets or rugs is to Hoover them regularly and reasonably frequently. As I understand it, it's the larvae of the moths which eat the wool rather than the moths themselves, and the eggs and larvae are destroyed when you run the vacuum cleaner over them. I remember storing a lovely old Persian rug for a few months, all rolled up, and then discovering that there were large areas where the pile was destroyed. I've also hung some moth repellent things in the wardrobes which seem to be working (touch wood!)

On 31 Jul 2012 at 5:48pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I had a bloody enormous mosquito in the bedroom last night. I killed the beast, but only after it had bitten me 3 times.
All the insects seem to be doing well after the wet weather.

On 1 Aug 2012 at 12:07pm Old Cynic wrote:
I had its cousin in my bedroom - didnt find it but I stank of insect repellant all night - not nice

On 1 Aug 2012 at 12:48pm Mothical wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, folks. A sacrificial jumper seems to be a good idea!

On 1 Aug 2012 at 6:35pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I killed on its cousins last night - swatted it with my book. It sort of got its revenge though. It made such a big splat that it obscured half a paragraph of text with its innards.

On 1 Aug 2012 at 10:01pm ADT wrote:
Moths - we bought some sticky pads which you stick on the wall...
w...pestcontroldirect.co.uk

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 24:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015

I tested Carfax, paid $ 40 for the report and received an incomplete report. Try Epicvin , I was given a full vin history report more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane