Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

epidemic of wasted food??

On 18 Dec 2015 at 8:19pm Ian freeston wrote:
Thank fully France has taken the lead on stopping supermarkets throwing away perfectly enable food..
Your going love the fact that I, (and others) had been helping ourselves to food out of waitrose bins for three years..
set up a freegan supermarket giving away the food, and supplying festivals etc..
(until the someones taken the gate off, and didn't put it back again, SOME MOTHERS DO AVE EM)
so extra security has ended the abundant flow of yummy food for now
Unbelievable what gets thrown away each day..
What are your thoughts to stop the waste, as I know that a lot of the staff in supermarkets don't like the waste, yet its the law??
With food banks and those annoying poor people looking for affordable housing in a town of hard working rich people its embarrassing that people are complaining about throwing away food I know, yet its a disgusting waste..
as with the fracking of national parks issue
i think serialization of all poor people and immigrants coming over here for the low paid work that poor english folks don't want to do.. they can't expect to come over here get a flat or house and carry on breeding etc.. as for the local poor folk breeding, come on somethings gotta be done asap..
thoughts and opinions please

Check it out here »
On 18 Dec 2015 at 8:33pm Weight Rose wrote:
Was it you on the M25/M1 this morning ? you commie food sab. you.
On 18 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm Border Control wrote:
My old Dad always said "you'll always learn something, if you listen to a fool for long enough". He was so right !
On 18 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm Smudge wrote:
It might help if supermarkets didn't sell perishable. If we bought our fruit and veg loose in a proper greengrocer, and meat in a proper butchers, dairy stuff at a deli shop, etc, I doubt if there would be as much food waste. We could buy the amount that we actually need, not the amount that supermarkets think we need.
On 19 Dec 2015 at 2:11am Monty Cute wrote:
And what would all those 'proper' greengrocers, butchers and deli shops do with their unsold food, Smudge?

On 19 Dec 2015 at 6:38am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm convinced that "fresh" veg sold in supermarkets doesn't last as long as veg brought from farm shops or greengrocers. Supermarket carrots seem to go slimy and rank in a few days, but ones bought from a veg shop seem to last for ages.
Supermarket cabbage goes yellow and smelly very quickly too, compared with cabbage bought in more traditional outlets.
It makes me wonder if their stock is old before it even gets to the supermarket.
On 19 Dec 2015 at 10:58am trooper wrote:
@ AC_T. I was at one time in connection with work living on the Isle of Wight on a farm that grew arable crops and the farmer told me that he lifted his potatoes and then were loaded on a lorry and sent to the midlands for sorting and bagging and then sold in supermarkets along the south coast, several days even weeks later.I understand this is a standard practice with supermarkets even to this day.
On 19 Dec 2015 at 6:00pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Buy one- get one free. But don't forget to eat the free one shortly after-or freeze it. And then eat it later, before it's freezer eat-by date.
By all means grab a bargain; but be organised to make use of it before you need to throw it away!

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Downward dog 33:132
Downward dog

Well Basil you could try posting about something and see what people's reaction is. I don't mean just the state of the forum but,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine