Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

cliffe high street

On 22 Jul 2009 at 12:05pm mitchelmore wrote:
Aren't a lot of drivers taking the short cut down the so-called pedestrianised high street?

On 22 Jul 2009 at 12:30pm BUrning Bits wrote:
I think that's because it's not a pedestrianised street it's dual use otherwise they'd have bollarded it off.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 1:25pm mitchelmore wrote:
Hmmm, so I can quite legally and happily drive from Court Road, past the petshop and the bakery, go over the bridge, past Bills to Morris Road? Not sure about that.

It's not been bollarded off to allow deliveries and emergency vehicles. I'm talking about all the mum wagons and 4x4s that seem to drive straight down the street mysteriously without loading or unloading anything...

On 22 Jul 2009 at 1:38pm Lets Do Lunch! wrote:
That is the answer to your question, "mum wagons and 4x4s"

On 22 Jul 2009 at 3:37pm Smiler wrote:
Yes they bleedin' are.
I saw one bloke drive all the way up the wrong way this morning then turn into Harveys yard.
I find the best thing to do is walk very slowly along the road.
Perhaps Bill could put his tables further out into the road, that would slow them down.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 4:35pm Merlin Milner wrote:
It is supposed to be for deliveries and picking up goods and access to Bear yard and Harveys. The road was narrowed at the exit of the court car park so as to encourage those exiting not to go down Cliffe High Street. As to those going the wrong way, it must be that they have forgotten their highway code. A round sign with a picture of a car and motorcycle means no entry for motorised vehicles. I understood that the parking attendants are supposed to 'police' this. Perhaps if they were 'traffic wardens' things might be different.
However it must be difficult to disprove that someone is going there for a bonafide reason.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 4:51pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Nearer the truth is that is far easier to ticket some poor sod in the Majistrates car park for being a few minutes late back from spending their money in Lewes shops, than it is for a parking attendant to stand infront of a moving car, though I confess I find the thought appealing.
Do the Little Boy Blue Attendants have any authority to "police" Cliffe High Street Merlin? ?? ???
Nothing now suprises me but Surely Not.
PhilX

On 22 Jul 2009 at 5:04pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I seem to remember being told that not bonafide drivers could be booked (I assumed by attendants). However I will have to investigate what ESCC & NCP (or whatever they have changed their name to) have in mind / are allowed to do.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 5:34pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
As one can drive down there to load / unload, it is probably too easy for drivers to claim that is what they intended to do, but couldn't find a space / forgot their wallet etc and therefore the penalty should not apply.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 5:36pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
...a point made earlier by Merlin!

On 22 Jul 2009 at 6:00pm Ed Can Do wrote:
One would have thought that a police car parked on the Riverside side of the bridge during the day for a couple of weeks might discourage people using it as a short cut until the message sinks in. It is incredibly inconvenient to have to drive all the way around the one-way system to get out of town and I feel sorry for people living on the circuit as the air quality must be worse than ever outside their houses but the powers that be made their decision and we're stuck with it so the least those same powers that be could do would be to enforce the regulations.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 6:55pm upcock wrote:
500 grand wasted, as a cliffe high street resident i have yet to abuse the road, yet !! but when coming from morris road into the cliffe high st who has the right of way? no road markings . does give way to the right come into play? any ideas anyone,

On 22 Jul 2009 at 7:16pm mitchelmore wrote:
Unfortunately the budget didn't run to road markings. They were going to re-surface from Morris Rd to South St but that when I asked one of the builders he said the money had run out - honest!

I have to make the journey from Court Rd to Morris Rd every day and instead of walking I'm quite tempted to use the road (both ways) until they sort it out, or Bill makes a bay tree sleeping policeman.

On 22 Jul 2009 at 9:29pm Choked wrote:
On the air quality point LDC are in a bit of difficulty. They are obliged to improve it in the near future (much of Lewes is an Air Quality Management Area!) but cannot given the volume of traffic that drives straight through the town etc. Hence fatuous stunts like 'Fume Free Friday' or re-aranging priorities at Fisher Street. I doubt if ESCC care at al.

On 23 Jul 2009 at 7:03pm Maria wrote:
Walking very slowly along the middle does not work: I had an engine revved at me by an out-of-towner in a status car (well, me and an old bloke who I did not know). I was then verbally abused by said sad gits. I pointed out that it was/is pedestrian, apparently they knew better than me (hmmm, did my tax pay for this? did I not point out the sign?)

On 23 Jul 2009 at 11:46pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
They're probably people from the mags court car park leaving town via Malling Hill, trying to avoid the unnecessary pollution that would be caused by them going back along Friars Walk, up School Hill and back down North Street and Little East Street.
It's an absurdly long way round.
On the other hand, they could be looking for cyclists riding the wrong way to run down.

On 25 Jul 2009 at 8:08am COUNCIL BOD wrote:
Merlin Milner the wardens have no power to "police" this it is a job for the real police. Wardens only deal with parking however the police wont bother to minor for them to do anything about it.

On 26 Jul 2009 at 10:14am Maria wrote:
Well, Council Bod, why not put up signs after spending all this money and time on this project? My boyfriend noted two cars going down the area this morning. He walks in the middle to make a point. East Sussex County Highways have failed to get back to my complaint.

On 27 Jul 2009 at 7:41am council bod wrote:
well you should take it up with your local councller or speak to mr crawford or the parking shop mind you may not have much joy with the latter can i remind you i have nothing to do with signs laws or escc policy i just repair the parking machines, i have gained a lot of info from working close with the wardens and i will happyly pass the info on to you all

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

The media is full of evidence about drug use amongst senior Tories… and yet they are the ones pontificating ! More Tory... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo