Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

bonfire advice

On 2 Nov 2011 at 9:30pm kitson wrote:
We moved to Lewes two weeks ago and are green but keen to embrace bonfire on Saturday. Can anyone offer advice on the difference between the societies firesites & displays and where to go to see all or most of the processions that doesn't include the thrill of being trampled to death? Do we need to buy tickets to get into the pubs too? Any further advice welcome.
On 2 Nov 2011 at 10:41pm Local wrote:
Best avoid it all, tbh.

On 2 Nov 2011 at 10:57pm Shardlake wrote:
Suggest you buy the Sussex Express on Friday - it'll have a map and all the info you need.

On 2 Nov 2011 at 11:01pm Co, Ked wrote:
Or a program

On 2 Nov 2011 at 11:32pm The Greek wrote:
Waterloo and Commercial Square are the only free firesites nowadays. Although please do put some money in the buckets!! Waterloo is often the most crowded as it is the nearest to Town. Commercial is further.
Cliffe is £5 by advance tickets only, Southover also £5 by advance tickets only (I think), South Street is also ticket only although I think you can buy on the gate. Borough is £3 on the gate. (This is all from last year so it may have changed!)
South Street go off early at about half 8, all the others around 10ish, Commercial and Cliffe tend to go on latest if I recall.
I suggest you go down into town and find some of the bonfire boys and girls selling programmes and buy a programme or ask around.
I haven't been a spectator for a few years (much prefer to be in the procession now!!) but I remember outside Efe's Kebab Shop on School Hill was never too crowded and you got to see most if not all of the societies! (Not so sure about the tabs though due to the hill, but you can see them by looking down the hill to the bottom). AVOID the war memorial and down by Boots at all costs!! The Cliffe is often good to be down early on about 5pm etc for the barrel runs but it gets very cramped and claustrophobic around the bridge as it remains for the rest of the evening, so the Cliffe is normally best for early on and later on. Also the very top of town near St Anne's is light, but again, you don't get to see it all.
I've rambled on long enough, but I hope this helps! Wrap up warm, enjoy the night, don't question the nature of it, don't mention PC and immerse yourself in bonfire! Also bring earplugs if you are sensitive to loud noise. ther e WILL be bangers going off every where best wishes for a safe and enjoyable 5th! (put some money in the buckets

On 3 Nov 2011 at 12:26am Smiled wrote:
Dont miss the Cliffe tableau this year it's going to be the best ever
On 3 Nov 2011 at 2:27am Landportobanus Brian. wrote:
Embrace. The Nazi's had a solution for people like you.

On 3 Nov 2011 at 3:39pm Southover Queen wrote:
I think that's really helpful, Greek. I think the only thing I'd add is that it's likely to be very busy this year because it's a Saturday night, and that's bound to make the crush in the lower parts of town quite severe. Last year a friend of mine escaped with bad bruising after getting caught in one of the banks' doorways down there.

For myself, I'll stick to the top end of the bottleneck, near the Con Club and Rotten Row: you get a good view up the hill as the procession comes down and the crowds are considerably reduced. But you do miss quite a bit, obviously!

On 3 Nov 2011 at 4:11pm Damp squibb wrote:
It's not going to be busy. It's going to be pouring down and all will be sodden

On 3 Nov 2011 at 5:07pm someone else wrote:
Kitson - welcome to Lewes! Ignore the usual witless sniping - this forum isn't really at all representative of Lewesians generally. We moved here about 7 years ago and became bonfire boys and girls a few years later.
If you're first timers, note that it will be much busier than normal this year as it's a Saturday. I'd recommend watching the United Grand from somewhere up past the Brewer's on the High Street. Normally I'd then say go and watch the Cliffe on School Hill, but I suspect it'll be rammed all the way from the Precinct to the War Memorial.
The Greek has covered fire sites - I'd just say to go to the one nearest where you live.
You didn't mention whether you have kids. I think the main processions are definitely not the place for under 5s (unless they're in them). Otherwise, and if you're anywhere near the front of the crowd, wear stout shoes and keep your eyes open!
Have fun!

On 3 Nov 2011 at 5:40pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd recommend wearing old coats as well. If it's windy, bits of burning torch will be blowing everywhere, and you don't want scorchmarks on your best coat.
Pushchairs are an absolute no-no, although there's always one or two cretins who think it's a good idea to bring the toddler out in one.
And make sure you stay on the pavement. Marshals get very cross when the public stray into processions. If they tell you to move, do it - it may mean something big and fiery is about to go off in the immediate vicinity. Some twit walked across the middle of Cliffe's remembrance ceremony as the poppies were about to go off last year. Little Jocasta needed to go to the lav, apparently, which was far more important than a solemn ceremony of remembrance.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

Yes Im really going to miss the its Oh so wonderful and its only 600 quid advertising features more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle