Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Blacksmiths at Offham is back up for sale

On 13 Jul 2017 at 7:49am jolly wrote:
Pub is turning into a drinkers pub for all the workman
On 13 Jul 2017 at 8:11am Workman wrote:
We're all chuffed.
On 13 Jul 2017 at 9:54am Guy Spencer wrote:
@Jolly I don't think you've ever been into my local, if you had I must know you? What's your name?
One thing Fred and Oscar have done excellently is balance The Blacksmith's is a pub where you're equally welcome to drink as well as eat the great grub they do. The previous owners Bernard and Sylvia kept the place in Fawlty Towers timewarp where you plainly were unwelcome unless you came in for one of their famous (fray bentos) pies. The place has been fully refurbished and the flowers and gardens are in amazing condition.
As for it being a place for workmen that's complete tosh. This pub has not only brought a cosmopolitan village together by great food, drink and service it's also become a real destination for those who want quality and a great atmosphere just outside of Lewes.
Fred and Oscar have set the bar very high for whoever takes the place over and they'll very much be missed by our community.
On 13 Jul 2017 at 1:43pm Zeb wrote:
Oh. I'm a Barcombe resident who travels past the Offham Blacksmith Arms frequently and it's never crossed my mind to go in there as it has always given the impression of being a 1970's era restaurant. If I'd have known it was a pub I'd have dropped in at least.
On 13 Jul 2017 at 2:21pm Captain Obvious wrote:
It didn't occur to you that the pub was a pub
On 13 Jul 2017 at 2:30pm Guy Spencer wrote:
@Zeb, pop in for a pint or some food and you can make up your own mind! I've got to be getting a free couple of pints for all of this kindness - FRED!!!!!?
On 13 Jul 2017 at 3:36pm Barcombe Man wrote:
Perhaps I will pop in there while I am waiting for a cyclist to negotiate the Offham bends.
On 13 Jul 2017 at 8:47pm BM wrote:
Any Barcombe bound customers stop here as the Royal Oak is crap.
About time Harvey's get a decent Landlord in as the village pub is dying
On 14 Jul 2017 at 3:24am Lopster wrote:
Has become wonderful at sometime in the last five years
Absolutely lovely pub now - with great food, well-kept ales and atmosphere (parking and nice outside area too) - a useful oasis on a nasty bit of road - can't recommend the calimari and three-fried fries enough
On 14 Jul 2017 at 5:55pm DFL wrote:
I've lived in Lewes for 15 years and only just went to the Blacksmith's for the first time about a month ago. The beer was well kept, food good, and the hosts lovely. The place was well looked after and it's joined my list of faves along with the Swan, Lewes Arms, and the Ellie when the TVs are switched off. ish I'd found it sooner and I'm soory to hear the owners are moving on.

On 5 Apr 2018 at 11:12pm Drixi wrote:
You might be interested to know that the pub has indeed been sold. We are the new owners and hope you check us out. Cooking pub classics and Caribbean specialities.
Fitzroy (Jazz) and Birgit (Drixi) Benjamin, also known as Benjies

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 24:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015

Lewes Priory Cricket Club (LPCC) is based at the Stanley Turner Ground, Kingston Road, Lewes (i.e. next to the rugby club). ... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare