Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

LDC Recycle.

On 8 Dec 2015 at 9:58am trooper wrote:
A recent survey shows Lewes at 23% of the target figure for re cycling, considering all the bags and boxes that are out for collection each week, I, like others would ask why are we so low down on the survey ?? It gives pause for people wonder if they should go to the bother.Perhaps LDC could give some explanation.

On 8 Dec 2015 at 12:22pm Dusty Bin wrote:
If the food recycling is included, I'm not sure it's worth bothering with. Over a period of 5 weeks that I have been around when the refuse is collected I have noted that 3 times the food bags were put in the back of the truck destined for landfill/burning. Only 40% has been recycled. Has anyone else witnessed this?
On 8 Dec 2015 at 12:30pm Bin it wrote:
Has anyone heard the rumour that we are going over to fortnightly rubbish collections soon??? If so then what a nightmare...
On 8 Dec 2015 at 1:23pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The Lewes scheme doesn't take all sorts of stuff that a lot of other schemes do: yogurt pots, margarine tubs, the trays that ready meals come in, plastic bags and so on. Even though they take cardboard, if the cardboard box has a cellophane window, they won't take it.
If they started taking everything that's recyclable, like a lot authorities do, they'd probably find the amount of stuff recycled would increase considerably.
Actually, if they started giving us recycling boxes with lids that fit properly they'd probably find that they recycled more, because less of it would be blowing round the streets on windy days.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 1:51pm John Smith wrote:
Yes, ACT: I also throw out loads of containers that fruit and veg come in which I know other authorities will recycle. I'd guess that about half my waste is made up of those plastic trays and yoghurt pots. They also reject half the plastic bottles I put out: it's very hard to figure out what they DO take, in fact, so in the end I'm probably throwing out quite a bit of stuff which is in fact recyclable.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 2:06pm xplorer1 wrote:
The plastic recycling is a lottery. I put everything out, and half the time I get stuff (eg yoghurt pots) rejected, half the time they take it.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 2:40pm Strachan family wrote:
Bin it - it is true lewes are getting rid of weekly waste collections. Friend of mine at the Council says its happening in two years time. Not sure if we get a new bin or if recycling is every two weeks or what. Why no public discussion on this?

On 8 Dec 2015 at 4:16pm Miss Cycle wrote:
Like Dusty Bin I have also witness food waste being tossed into the back of their lorry. I emailed the council and was assured I was mistaken and food waste is separated from other waste! I know what I saw and now no longer recycle my food waste as there seems to be no point.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 4:48pm Fairmeadow wrote:
If collection of general rubbish is to be collected fortnightly but food waste is collected weekly, it might be to your advantage to separate your food waste!
Given that we now send almost no domestic rubbish to landfill but most of it goes to the incinerator to create energy, it is fine in Lewes to put stuff like food containers and yoghurt pots in the general waste. While they can be recycled, and it is worth doing it in places where they still tip to landfill, it probably isn't worth it here. The incinerator doesn't much care for metal though, especially the volatile metals found in batteries.
If you get the chance, go on the incinerator tour, take it - fascinating. We were told that the guys they recruit to drive it were previously naval engineers driving nuclear submarines.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 4:56pm trooper wrote:
I have been told that much of the material that could be re-cycled is not because it would mean an increase the number of boxes etc and more to the point LDC do not have the staff or the facilities much less the money to increase their take up. Discuss.
Ref Food waste thrown in the main collection vehicle, I also have seen this.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 5:39pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
There are plenty of councils where all recyclables except for food and garden waste are put in one big wheelie bin, and sorted centrally.
If it's good enough for other councils, I don't see why it can't be done here.
On 8 Dec 2015 at 6:13pm Hipster wrote:
We can all buy our own little incinerators, they are cheapest in Aldi when they have them, and burn it in our gardens to save the council the time and trouble. The ash is great for the garden too. If you can't beat em, swerve em !!
On 8 Dec 2015 at 7:04pm Q wrote:
You're not one of those burning plastic are you hipster? Causing an awful stink and toxic pollution?

On 8 Dec 2015 at 7:57pm Hipster wrote:
Definitely not ! Only cardboard, paper etc. NO PLASTICS. Not much smoke either. Dry conditions too. And not on beautiful evenings, neighbour considerate. I forgot there are such inconsiderate morons out there.

On 9 Dec 2015 at 10:09am nevillman wrote:
I complained to the council about food waste being thrown in the back and was told they would only recycle food if it was in a compostable bag. No reply as to why this had to be or why it was no longer acceptable to wrap it in newspaper.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Penny 56:132
Lewes Arms Penny

Im sure one of your conspiracy theories will come true, and despite all of them probably being bogus nonsense, that one bullseye... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare