Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

ESCC incinerator overspend?

On 8 Feb 2017 at 1:22pm watcher wrote:
I'm not up to speed with the financial arrangements ESSC had concerning the incinerator at Newhaven. However unless I'm mistaken the ESCC Cabinet led budget statement (8 Feb. 2017) appears to show that there has been a 70 million pound overspend (the estimated 50 million is now 120 million) Can anyone shed light on this especially at a time when we are seeing a considerable rise in our council tax payments?
On 8 Feb 2017 at 4:06pm anon wrote:
there still rise it anyway no matter what it is ,cos there all crooks essc and lewes council .
On 8 Feb 2017 at 6:54pm Historian wrote:
What does it matter, it's not their money ! Sack em all.
On 8 Feb 2017 at 9:46pm Tom Pain wrote:
Where did you find this information watcher? Well done!
On 8 Feb 2017 at 9:55pm watcher wrote:
Thank you Tom Paine - it emerged in the full council meeting 8 Feb 2017, The first full ESCC meeting since I believe October 2016.
On 8 Feb 2017 at 11:27pm Tom Pain wrote:
Thank YOU and noted. It's reminded me of things I read years ago about the incinerator. The ground rent for the place was so high as I remember it,I must find it again to believe it.
On 9 Feb 2017 at 7:49am Rosalyn St Pierre wrote:
Watcher is right about ESCC overspend, but not incinerator but the infamous Bexhill-Hastings link road, all of 3.5miles and yes from original budget of 50 million to 120 plus. The incinerator is another example of Tory mismanagement as a disastrous PFI was agreed committing the council to a 25 year payback of over 26 million every year.

On 9 Feb 2017 at 11:05am Thank You wrote:
Ms. ? St. Pierre. With regard to the incinerator, would there not have been another possible site on one of the closed hospitals? I do realise the logistics are very important for lorries, but does the ash go by boat somewhere ?
On 9 Feb 2017 at 11:19am Zebedee wrote:
PFI. Wasn't that idea inherited form the Blair Government? It's been disastrous as far as I can see. Hugely expensive and unfairly weights the cost to the future (and future generations). I know it doesn't work in schools (an example I am very close to), where the IT department is run by the PFI 'partner' and their concentration on profit means that the school is not well served at all and half the time the teachers are fighting with badly set up computers, lack of support and very poor quality IT staff.

So the incinerator is to cost us 750m? Is it known how much it actually cost to build?

As far as I can see the incinerator is responsible for turning much of Sussex into rubbish dump. All main roads towards Newhaven (A27/26) are littered with refuse blown off lorries heading for the site. It's very ugly indeed and LDC seem incapable of keeping a check on it or cleaning it up (A26: to dangerous for them to clear the rubbish off the side of it, poor dears).
On 9 Feb 2017 at 5:16pm Eh? wrote:
Genesee seems to be under the impression that litter along the A26 was non-existent when Beddingham landfill site served most of the county. No so. One of the spin-off benefits of the incinerator has been an upgrading of the trucks that deliver waste to its final destination. As a local, I see far less rubbish falling to ground than used go be the case.

On 9 Feb 2017 at 5:20pm Eh? wrote:
I meant "Zebedee", not what my predictive text hi-jacked and turned into "Genesee".
On 9 Feb 2017 at 7:27pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Rosalyn, if you got out more you would find that the Bexhill relief road has made a major difference to travel in that part of Sussex. It has certainly make the journey easier for the increasing amount of traffic between Eastbourne and Hastings hospitals; especially in an emergency.
Of course, the final cost could have been much less if completion had not been delayed by tree-huggers.

On 9 Feb 2017 at 9:48pm Zebedee wrote:
@Eh? I've travelled the A26 to Lewes most weekdays for the last decade or so and its very plain that the build up of litter has increased substantially in recent years. I've talked to both the operators of the incinerator and LDC about it and concluded it's due to the fact the incineror attracts much more waste traffic than Beddingham did (due to higher capacity) and that LDC now have less resources to spend clearing it up.

The rubbish strewn along the A26 is horrible but its nothing to the amount on the A27 between Lewes and Newhaven. That is truly appaling

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:143
Chapel Hill Lewes

'Reclaim the streets' Tom? You jest. The same procession year after year on one day, the same relentless brainless 'patriotism'... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington