Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Xmas Decs

On 6 Dec 2010 at 10:31pm Kitty Cat wrote:
Don't panic everybody we have found out why Lewes- The County Town Of Sussex- does not have any xmas decs up in the town for yet ANOTHER year. WORTHING HAS GOT THEM ALL, AND IT IS BEAUTUFUL. Our Town Council must have been to the xmas decs shop late. This would explain why we have NO FLIPPING DECS UP YET AGAIN IN OUR LOVELY TOWN. Late Night shopping should be a blast, if not a bit dark!!!!!!!

On 7 Dec 2010 at 6:18am santa claws wrote:
I find it absolutely disgusting that this town can't put a few decs up. The xmas tree by the memorial is hideous at best.
Can anyone tell me who's responsible for this ?

On 7 Dec 2010 at 8:29am 'ere be monsters wrote:
The businesses that would reap the benefit don't want to chip in.

On 7 Dec 2010 at 8:37am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I agree it's very sad. Maybe we should set up a charity to raise money to buy the damn things.
Mind you, the chav house on Nevill Green almost makes for it, and they leave theirs up all year for us to enjoy.

On 7 Dec 2010 at 10:13am Baaa Humbug wrote:
Christmas is bad enough as it is, but why do people insist on calling it xmas? I just find it really irritating.

On 7 Dec 2010 at 5:31pm Dave wrote:
Vote with your feet and go shop somehwere with decent lights

On 7 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm Sylvia wrote:
Or, go somewhere with no lights eg Chichester. Council decided the cost was too great, some business man offered money asking for other contributions, not enough businesses responded. Sound familiar? Maybe county towns are different.

On 7 Dec 2010 at 8:49pm kitty cat wrote:
Sorry Baaa Humbug but I cannot spell Christmas! Happy Xmas(Christmas) xxx

On 7 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm Bevi wrote:
The tree at the war memorial and at the bottom both look like they have had the lights thrown at them - surely they could have had more care and organisation - engage the town - I am sure that a creative lewisan would have done a far better job.

On 8 Dec 2010 at 8:24am Mr Forks wrote:
Perhaps a creative Lewesian could pay for them then, theres enough rich dfls in this town that could afford to put money into it!

On 8 Dec 2010 at 11:33am pandemonia wrote:
I often wonder whether it is the very proliferation of money and creativity in Lewes that encourages the council to be lazy about Christmas lights. Because the disgraceful no-show on the lighting front is repeated every year and has done for quite a few years now. I was in Hailsham and Polegate yesterday - neither of them towns I'd normally expect to be superior in appearance to Lewes - but in both places the Christmas lighting put Lewes to shame. Individual shops have beautiful window displays in Lewes but they are still no substitute for decent lights and well-decorated Christmas trees.
You don't even need to be overly creative or spend a fortune on this. Some years back the whole of the Cliffe had simple but really effective strings of coloured lights on the shopfronts and it looked lovely. Far nicer than all this blue stuff hanging off the occasional building. Bah!

On 8 Dec 2010 at 12:15pm Mr Forks wrote:
Surely in these times the Council has better things to spend its money on? Can spending money on lights and the power to run them for a couple of weeks really be worth cutting other council spending for? Which would you rather have bin collection or fairy lights?!

On 8 Dec 2010 at 12:16pm Vesbod wrote:
Ooooh fairy lights pleeeeaseee.

On 8 Dec 2010 at 12:20pm Dave wrote:
It's very interesting how it's always the fault of "the council" when people are dissatisfied, they never look to themselves.
In any case, it's rather incosistent to bang on about energy use and sustainability and then want the flagrant waste on Christmas lights. What is the point in telling us all to alter our life style to conserve energy and reduce carbon, then burn it all on things like Christmas lights.

On 8 Dec 2010 at 12:23pm Vesbod wrote:
Yeah, that's right - bah humbug to the lot of you !!
Bring on the fairy lights, riot for our rights now !

On 10 Dec 2010 at 9:51pm kitty cat wrote:
As you say pandemonia. Polegate is smaller thsn Lewes and hey have managed to put lights. Battle looks very beautiful. The whole town looks light and bright and so inviting. To be honest, it is embarassing to say that you live in Lewes. It has to be on the list of Worst Decorated towns in the Country.

On 11 Dec 2010 at 11:49am Regular wrote:
h**p://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8726256.Anger_over_plans_to_scrap_Sussex_s_dog_bins/
There is little hope of money from the council for Christmas deccies when they are planning to save money by dispensing with dog poo bins.
Note.When you have read this on the Argus website carry on scrolling to the bottom where the comments are.Funny one about a bloke who let his dog poo on the pavement,walked of without picking it up,so the 'spy' went out,shovelled it up and dumped it on his car windscreen....

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

Hi, I would like to add an event but the system won't let me. Please help! Maia Eden more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa