Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why so few signatures on this parking petition?

On 10 Sep 2013 at 9:37pm quicken wrote:
When I looked only 40 people had signed it! Surely what they want is to everyone's taste?

Check it out here »
On 10 Sep 2013 at 9:50pm Border control wrote:
It's just lip service !
On 10 Sep 2013 at 10:37pm Clifford wrote:
I think it's probably because most people know a petition is a safety valve and achieves nothing. Direct action is more effective.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 11:59pm Voice of Reason wrote:
I reckon it’s more than that, people have just got used to it, the same way they’ve got used to smaller housing, lower wages, fewer employment rights, longer work hours and a shorter, less comfortable retirement. A protest against authority decisions has successfully been reinterpreted by the media as a protest against being British, and anybody who objects to the continued shift of tax/rates responsibility from the wealthy to the middle and working classes, is obviously a commie who should go and live in China or Cuba or something instead.
On 11 Sep 2013 at 12:39am Commie wrote:
Spot on V.O.R.
On 11 Sep 2013 at 6:09am Captain Sensible wrote:
Because it doesn't seem very well thought out. You can see it taken apart on this very forum:

Check it out here »
On 11 Sep 2013 at 6:10am Biggles traffic warden wrote:
Maybe its simply that nobody really gives a sh#t !!!

On 11 Sep 2013 at 10:42am Suicidal wrote:
It's like drip torture living in this country now, one thing after another against us, ridiculous things that simply serve to control and belittle us for no apparent good reason. The government interferes in all matters now because they have taken all power from us. Little wonder we are on the edge of anarchy, it's a dangerous place.

On 11 Sep 2013 at 1:11pm cat in the hat wrote:
It's because it wont change anything. If the town really want to thrive it needs free parking all day every day. It's madness how the council can't see that.
On 11 Sep 2013 at 1:17pm Rocket science wrote:
May be because no one has worked out to fit 21st century levels of car ownership in to an ancient town built around the horse and cart or pedestrians.
Large swathes of the centre of town were never designed for even one car per house, let alone two, and the only way out would be demolishing streets to build car parks.
Certainly there could be pay on exit car parks and longer stay roadside bays to improve the scheme but how do you ensure that spaces that are meant for shoppers are not just used by office workers who move their cars at lunchtime or commuters if it's all day parking?
If you've got detailed costed plans for a multi-storey car park somewhere in the town, I'm sure it would be popular. Perhaps some of the big hedge funds could finance it, in the way that town and city centres were built on the back of commercial profits in the past.
On 11 Sep 2013 at 8:08pm Bonfire wrote:
We won't be druv

On 11 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm Webbo wrote:
The parking petition on this site yesterday had attracted 555 entries only 4 of them were in favour of the scheme as it stands.

That means over 99% of those responding want it changed!!

And yet it's still there, its almost like ESCC don't care what people think.
Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where our elected representatives respected us for making the right choice and voting them in... oh sorry, I drifted off there

On 11 Sep 2013 at 9:59pm wheels wrote:
The latest changes are yet again riddled with problems, and mistakes. . Apparently even Norman Baker is affected, so he now knows how what it feels like to be trampled over by East Sussex County Council.
Our Councillors are truly useless at managing their Officers at the Council.

On 12 Sep 2013 at 7:20pm Jeremy Clarkson wrote:
I agree with rocket science. Without regulating it parking in lewes would be unbearable.

On 13 Sep 2013 at 4:27am Voice of Reason wrote:
You mean, like it wasn't before the changes?
The only problem we had before the scheme was underfunded wardens. There was one chap, a littlish man, had to cover the whole of Lewes (anybody else remember him?). He was reasonable with temporary parking, far more reasonable than I would've been under the same pressures. One of Lewes' charms - a popular traffic warden
Trouble was though, ESCC brass thought of another way public money could be fleeced from a captive market and given to a wealthy business. Public opinion was never going to trump that opportunity, and it never will.
On 13 Sep 2013 at 4:09pm belladonna wrote:
here's my ideas for parking.
1. residents parking permits are issued free, one per household, on two proofs of address (utility bill, driving licence, rent agreement etc) and id.
2. permits cover the whole of Lewes, so if you're nipping over to a frIends on the other side of town you don't have to worry abt parking charges in a different one.
3. Extra permits per household can be purchased at same cost as now (usual exceptions for disabled etc)
4. 30 minute free bays on the high street for collections, quick nip to post office/bank etc, deliveries etc
5. Car parks across Lewes should be 50 p an hour flat fee.
6. Visitor and commuter parking subsidises free residents parking and pays for wardens, or parking meters. Alternatively, car parks become pay on exit
7. Any profit to the scheme is directed back to improvements and upkeep.
Of course none of this provides a profit for the various councils or for a private car parking company so we will be left with the mess that we have.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bill Lewes 10:132
Bill Lewes

90% of the adult population have had 1 vaccine already in the UK, with around 82% double dosed. It would come as no surprise that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell