Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why no parking zone on Landport

On 19 Jul 2011 at 7:30pm bazm wrote:
Sorry if this has been mentioned but if every other part of Lewes is being subjected to an expansion of parking restrictions why is Landport being left alone?

On 19 Jul 2011 at 7:33pm Chev Kapman wrote:
They are already a law unto themselves down there.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 8:03pm TeeHee wrote:
No one would want to leave there car there

On 19 Jul 2011 at 10:48pm Lopster wrote:
too far from the station to be able to penalise the dormitory town brigade

On 20 Jul 2011 at 5:55am Jude wrote:
doesnt make sense - just as close as neville

On 20 Jul 2011 at 6:35am Guido wrote:
Isn't most of Malling excluded as well. Didn't think it stretched to old Malling etc etc. After all, where would all the staff from HQ park then?

On 20 Jul 2011 at 8:06am 'ere be monsters wrote:
St Thomas' church hall today, another consultation with the locals if you want to have a go.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 8:35am Mr Forks wrote:
It's just a money making scheme for the Tory ESCC, vermin!

On 20 Jul 2011 at 8:58am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Trouble is Forksey according to them it doesn't make any money, and stop bringing politics into it, they're all just as bad as each other. You're sounding like the PN of the other persuasion.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 12:14pm Mr Forks wrote:
So if it doesn't make money, whats the point of it?! Why penalise people where they live with another tax to park outside their own house, it's outrageous!

On 20 Jul 2011 at 12:55pm Ratty wrote:
Landport is too far to walk to most of the major employers (County Hall, Sussex Police HQ) and the station
Also, there is plenty of residents' parking as the roads were constructed in the 20th century with cars in mind rather than the central parts of the town where many of the roads are centuries old and not designed for current levels of car ownership.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 2:43pm Jude wrote:
Can I repost this please - it got lost further down.

Quite astonished to see this in the 'Friends of Lewes' response to the parking consultation.
"The Society has therefore supported the concept of increasing the off-street parking in the town, especially as a large number of off-street spaces were lost in the grounds of Lewes House. In the Society's opinion this is best achieved by tiering an existing car park, its preference being for those closest to the river and commercial centre of the town."

Are they seriously suggesting a multi-storey car park which could only be in two places - behind waitrose or behind harveys ?? This would completely destroy the character of the area.

Anyone from the society able to clarify this ?

On 20 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm Mr Forks wrote:
A barmy suggestion by the 'Fiends of Lewes' (sic)!

On 20 Jul 2011 at 3:42pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I think a very well designed multi storey between Phoenix Causeway and Cliffe High Street would work well. You could maybe have some commercial space on the ground floor and some landscaping around. Better than the "sea of cars on a bomb site" that we currently have.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 3:43pm stig of the dump wrote:
@ Jude. What character will they actually be destroying in thise two areas ?

On 20 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm giveitarest wrote:
Jude

That could mean North Street / Spring Gardens car park, couldn't it? I think that would be quite a good idea.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 9:58pm Fairmeadow wrote:
To use valuable land in central Lewes for open-deck car parking is just silly, let alone hopelessly uneconomic. North Street would be one good site for multi-storey parking - good reason to park on the upper decks there when it rains, as still no flood protection. In other places you could build town centre apartments over the car parking.
Not so sure about behind Waitrose though. Lewes could really benefit from a decent riverside frontage, with a walkway, maybe with shops etc, and flood protection on the Lewes side of the river - car parking there would be a bit of a waste.

On 21 Jul 2011 at 8:09am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Ratty, when Landport was built there were only one or two cars per road and they were allocated garages in the various blocks around the estate, not like the one or two per household as is the situation nowadays. The roads were playgrounds with interruptions only from the frequent bus service and a couple of cars a day.
If anyone objects to a parking bay outside their property apply to have a dropped kerb installed.

On 22 Jul 2011 at 8:08pm Jude wrote:
I think a mulit-storey in North st industrial estate, or the Brooks Rd industrial estate would be fine. I hope this is what the society means. if they made a multi-storey car park there they could turn the car parks behind waitrose and harveys into REAL parks. How lovely would that be ?!

On 22 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm DB wrote:
I live in a cul-de-sac in Landport where the commuters park every day, speeding along the road, no consideration for other people and are very rude! They even wait for me to move my car to then park in the space. I have counted about 15 cars in the road parked all day monday - friday that don't belong to local residents. This cause great problems for delivery drivers, ambulances trying to turn around.I wrote to our local MP Baker who must of visited on a saturday as he said there where no issues, he would place speed signs up (which have not yet been put up) but he and the council were quite happy for me to put in a driveway or low the kerb at my own expense! which I have no problem with but why should i loss half my garden for a driveway. So I have dealt with the park issues myself sending the kids out on there bike and scooter when the commuters are returning back from work and lets just say the kids dont have great steering control!!!

On 27 Jul 2011 at 9:35pm Huh? wrote:
Tacks work well too.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

English view 35:132
English view

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde