Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why do they pronounce.....

On 22 Jul 2011 at 11:10am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Why do some sports commentators and presenters pronounce some names with accents? For example the golfer Miguel Angel Jimenez gets pronounced Himeneth with the H sounding like they're clearing their throat and the Z with a lisp. Are they trying to impress, and who?
On 22 Jul 2011 at 12:24pm giveitarest wrote:
The pronunciation of any name should be as it is intended in the individual's own language. Why would anyone do otherwise?
The fact that vast numbers of sports commentators are incapable of getting names right is a different issue tho'.
There was, I think, a Jorge Cadete who played for Celtic and was Portuguese. Know, I now a Jorge and the correct pronunciation is 'Hor-hay' with the 'h' sound throaty as you say. But commentators always called him 'Horgay'; they might as well just have said George if they couldn't get it right.
On 22 Jul 2011 at 12:37pm Paddy O'Slab wrote:
The Irish are no better. Who would want to be a presenter there?
Saoirse (seer-sha)
Saidhbhe (si-ev)
Bebhinn (be-vin)
On 22 Jul 2011 at 12:41pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
That's perhaps fair enough but they don't do it to all names. There was a Thomas Bjorn playing in The Open, they didn't call him Tormaas Byooorn as you would expect a Swede to pronounce it. Why just some? I don't expect people to pronounce my name as I do when I go abroad. They do it with place names as well, Barthelona, Valenthia, why?
On 22 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm Listener wrote:
They didn't in the past. It is a fairly recent phenomena. I first noticed it a with African names such as Ndabaningi Sithole where the pronunciation changed on a daily basis.
On 22 Jul 2011 at 1:52pm SERGHIHO wrote:
Not sure what's wrong with trying to pronounce a name the way it is by the natives
On 22 Jul 2011 at 2:28pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
It just seems strange that they only do it with the occasional one. Serghiho, why do they not put on a scouse accent when they mention Wayne Rooney or call Paris Parrreeee like the French or Madrid Maaadrrreeeed like the Spanish?
On 22 Jul 2011 at 2:32pm Southover Man wrote:
@Serghiho: There is definitely something wrong with pronouncing names like the natives sometimes. e.g. Paris. "I'm going to Paris for the weekend" - Anglicised version good - saying "Pareee" not good. I find the same thing with Chorizo (if you like that sort of thing) in shops - the Anglicised version will not make you sound highly pretentious!!!
On 22 Jul 2011 at 2:46pm Biguth Dickuth wrote:
Because certain nationalities can't pronounce certain letters. Germans struggle with W's, Chinese struggle with R's and English people don't pronounce J's with a throaty HOR. You just have to understand that if your living in a foreign country the locals may not be able to pronounce your name properly.
On 22 Jul 2011 at 3:55pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
One of the presenters on Sky Sports News the other morning thought she'd be clever and pronounce the Milan(not Meellano) club Internazionale the way the locals do and said it with a Spanish accent with the z as a th. Precious.
On 22 Jul 2011 at 5:16pm Mercian wrote:
...or for that matter people in Sussex referring to Glasgow as GLARSGOW or Newcastle as NEWCARSTLE
On 22 Jul 2011 at 5:22pm Mercian wrote:
...or for that matter northerners calling bath bath, southeasterners calling it barth when everyone knows it is really baaaaaath
On 23 Jul 2011 at 9:10am BATH PIRATE wrote:
I used to live in Bath. But they pulled the plug on that one.
On 23 Jul 2011 at 9:35am 'ere be monsters wrote:
You were part of the overflow community then?
On 23 Jul 2011 at 8:37pm expat two wrote:
on a slightly different tip, I once heard a NZ newsreader describe Henrik Laarson as a celtic player - 'celtic' with a hard 'c'. Totally forgivable, but comical nonetheless.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 10:31pm Mavis wrote:
I hate the way non locals call Offham, Off-am, and Malling, mal-ing (to rhyme with pal).
On 26 Jul 2011 at 10:42pm Pedant wrote:
I hate the way some people use the pronunciation rules of one language as if they apply to all languages.
eg: Chorizo as "choritzo". Z is NOT pronounced as "tz" in Spanish but as "th" or, if in South America "s"
"Macho" is NOT "makko". The "ch" is as in "church". Same for "machismo".

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Golden Bike 38:132
Golden Bike

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa