Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Why, Why, Why, Delilah!

On 18 Jun 2012 at 9:40pm Scary Portas wrote:
Anybody know whats going in to replace Delilahs boutique, up near Bottleneck?
Could do with another cafe (snigger snigger)...or a decent sandwich shop at that end
So many businesses for sale in Lewes at the moment, I feel sorry for them - cruddy parking, high rates, too many shops turned into houses -and Mary Portas off to Margate instead. Council really has no idea how to help them, just bleeds them to death instead.
Why not plan another late night shopping event or tourist trail, or offer free parking in the County Hall park at weekends to out of town shoppers??

On 18 Jun 2012 at 10:12pm Mary Goes To Margate wrote:
Howza bout a Hairdresser or a Candle Shop? Maybe a shop selling designer "To Let" signs. Seriously it's all getting a little sad, every time a sign goes up its another lost business and loss of someone's livelyhood. Still I'm sure our hard pressed business community will soon feel the benefit of the wonderful parking scheme which has been so carefully thought thru to attract visitors and shoppers to Lewes.

On 18 Jun 2012 at 10:22pm Scary Portas wrote:
I am loving the idea of the designer 'To Let' signs. Make a killing.

On 19 Jun 2012 at 8:04am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think it's particularly tough for businesses around the bottleneck, as the parking is so much worse there. I certainly don't go to Capriccio as much as I used to.
I wouldn't be surprised if eventually there were no shops at all between St Michael's and the few at the top of Western Road.

On 19 Jun 2012 at 8:14am Pete wrote:
Yep, and it'll all be flooded when the ice caps melt as well....

On 19 Jun 2012 at 10:50am Petite Pois wrote:
A sandwich shop or something lunchy for County Hall staff would be good!

On 19 Jun 2012 at 12:29pm Roly Mo wrote:
Why do you have to always blame the Council. They don't set the rents, nor determine the rateable value for a building. If Delilah's sold clothes that normal people could hope to afford, then they would still be trading. £300 for a pair of jeans? No thanks, I'm off to Next.

On 19 Jun 2012 at 12:53pm Mr Forks wrote:
Next, sod that, too expensive. Primark for me!

On 19 Jun 2012 at 3:33pm the old mayor wrote:
Its going to be a second 'Parking Shop' Apparently, the demand has been so strong their Clients now need a second shop at that end of town. There may even be one by the railway station too. It is one of the growth industries to get Britain out of recession.

On 20 Jun 2012 at 3:57pm Scary Portas wrote:
I do hope that is sarcasm Old Mayor! Imagine customers at the Bottleneck parking for 3 minutes on yellow lines due to lack of stopping points and even paid parking will get tickets and those businesses will dwindle further -'Welcome to Lewes - no parking, but plenty of parking shops!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 11:33am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I think they are victims of the recession and overpricing.
One of the ways to keep shop premises open is for landlords to lower the rents and allow pop-up shops on short leases. It's a great way for new start-ups to get going and I believe the council can help with lower discretionary business rates. It also encourages independent businesses. I know a few artists who have set up pop-up studio/ galleries in unused shops and can help keep life in a town. Rather like what is happening down on the Phoenix estate with cafe de artist and Zu studio.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Swan penny 123:132
The Swan penny

Hello. I was also recently looking for the perfect place for a photo shoot. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare