frame-src 'self' data:

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

What IS Brown Going on About?

On 19 Dec 2008 at 2:05pm SHS wrote:
Volatile oil prices damaging the global economy? Hurting families and businesses? So it's nothing to do with Brown's super-high taxes, failure to invest in infrastructure, rapid destruction of public services and spend spend spend on useless crap that nobody needs and the majority just do not want. He's looking for a scapegoat as usual and assumes we're all too stupid to know what's really going on. Soon we'll have no heat & power, no public transport, no postal service, no NHS and no rubbish collection. I predict the collapse of the educational system next, led by the cash-starved universities. Anyone fancy a trip to Greece?

On 19 Dec 2008 at 2:22pm Toque wrote:
Brown's a monocular Scottish miserablist.
Every pound you spend on petrol, he pockets 70p to fritter away on free prescriptions in Wales and free tertiary education and home care for the elderly in his Scottish homeland. He's an authoritarian anti-English bigot.
Blair was the same, only he had two eyes and was cheerful (inanely so, and for reasons that no one ever understood).

On 19 Dec 2008 at 4:24pm Nosey wrote:
Blair grinned like a village idiot. Maybe that is why he appeared cheerful.

On 19 Dec 2008 at 4:33pm SHS wrote:
"""Every pound you spend on petrol, he pockets 70p to fritter away..."""
Precisely why he's so upset about the low oil prices - now UK Plc will be even more in debt. At least he's making 200,000 surplus civil servants redundant and getting rid of those public sector final salary pension schemes.

On 19 Dec 2008 at 5:21pm Toque wrote:
Unfunded public sector pensions are projected to cost the taxpayer £915 billion - that's 80% of GDP and twice the size of the national debt. In November alone the Government borrowed 16bn. The government's own statistics show that the UK owes over 100,000 per household - 184% of our total national income.
We - the taxpayer - pay 232 million per day just to service the interest on the national debt. And this is debt we have racked up in the "good times" with an economy that's boomed for a decade, helped along the way by the sale of our gold reserves and utilities, and taxes on pensions.
In the third quarter of 2008, public sector employment rose by 14,000 (to 5.764 million) while, overall, the number of people in employment fell by 115,000 (the biggest fall since 1992). This means that those of us in private employment pay more tax to support Brown's ever burgeoning nanny state.
Our only way out of this is massive tax rises, or to print more money (Argentina here we come).

On 19 Dec 2008 at 5:53pm Nullify wrote:
'Our only way out of this is massive tax rises, or to print more money (Argentina here we come).'
Well, there is another way but I'm not sure the world, let alone Britain, has the courage for it yet. It's called Revolution.

On 19 Dec 2008 at 7:20pm Agony Aunt wrote:
Have you thought about,
1. Swimming with dolphins?
2. Hugging trees?
3. Enroling in an art class?
4. Get a dog or other furry creature (eg guinea pig)
5. Regression therapy (eg floatation tank)
6. Purchase a skipping rope and work off your frustrations
7. Purchase a trampoline and bounce your worries away (or a space hopper)
8. Consume a huge unhealthy English breakfast (fried in lard). It is well recognised that fat is satisfying)
9. Hug a fat person (not satisfying, but will make you feel more attractive)
10. Knit a Rupert Bear scarf (and apply for a Blue Peter badge at the same time).

On 19 Dec 2008 at 7:39pm Sashka wrote:
why not save money, and beat fuel costs by borrowing David Cameron's eco home wind turbine to recharge a torch battery. You can then spend the dark evenings reading how Mrs Thatcher promoted unregulated free market economics, that are now proving so succesful.
Politicians, dontcha just love-em

On 19 Dec 2008 at 7:42pm SHS wrote:
It's good to hear some facts, Toque, and the way things are going I wouldn't rule out a revolution - let's just make sure it starts in Lewes. What beggars belief is that having found all these billions in the hat, Brown still says he doesn't have enough money for the Uckfield rail link, another bus service or even a simple little nuclear power station.
Agony Aunt, I know you mean well but your list looks just the sort of thing ESCC would spend £1 million putting into a glossy brochure to circulate to all us dimwits.

On 19 Dec 2008 at 11:12pm Chuck wrote:
How about we stop subsidising north of the border?

On 20 Dec 2008 at 12:51am Agony Aunt wrote:
Glad you read the brochure!

On 20 Dec 2008 at 7:14am Toque wrote:
Some possible savings.
£225m on child database, 20bn on ID card database, 500 per year on CCTV, Iraq war 1bn per year, Scotland 8bn per year, the EU 55bn per year.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Stoolball 84:132
Lewes Stoolball

She seemed very happy to tell us all about the cycle path in her newsletter of 16 July Sussex. Personally I'm all in favour of... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde