Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Water Bill

On 29 Dec 2014 at 11:35am Bongo wrote:
Can I just ask those of you in a one bed flat, how much is your water bill if you are metered? Southern Water couldn't fit a meter in mine, and I think their estimates are way off the mark, but need some figures to present to them when I ring to negotiate.
Cheers, and have a great NY everyone
On 29 Dec 2014 at 1:03pm Mavis wrote:
if you live alone and claim single persons council tax allowance, you can request the same from Southern Water and they will halve your annual bill, not many people know that ! As you can't have a meter.
On 29 Dec 2014 at 1:41pm Bongo wrote:
Thanks Mavis, that's a brilliant bit of information
On 29 Dec 2014 at 2:09pm Bingo wrote:
WHY? couldn`t they fit a meter - they don`t need much of an excuse not to .
On 29 Dec 2014 at 3:19pm Bongo wrote:
Bingo, the distance between the water pipes was too narrow for the meters they were installing apparently. Several of us in my area are in the same position. Southern Water are estimating my bill as if it were metered. I want to do a price comparison, just to see how much they are overcharging me.
On 29 Dec 2014 at 3:36pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
Based on current SW guesstimates you should be paying around £170 pa supply and waste
Can't remember if there is a standing charge still in place
If so it will be plus this and vat
Hope this helps
On 29 Dec 2014 at 4:40pm Question wrote:
A little off topic but……. if Southern Water have installed these new super electronic meters that can be scanned remotely (as I understood that was the point of the particular meter they chose for the job) Why then have I seen the guy with the cup-on-the-stick device three times in my street now, listening for leaks? I thought the new meters were supposed to point out any leaks? Maybe I misunderstood but it seems a little strange. Also I had a leak, and they drew a little blue cross over the meter hatch, I notice quite a few blue crosses around town.
On 29 Dec 2014 at 5:54pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
Ulta sonic meters can be read remotely
Nothing to do with leak detection
Listening stick still one of the best ways to pin point leaks
If its your side of the meter then you're liable for the water being wasted so stop moaning
On 29 Dec 2014 at 6:37pm Question wrote:
It was not my side and I was not moaning anyway. I had a question. I had understood the new meters could pick up on leaks and communicate a problem if there was one.

On 29 Dec 2014 at 8:01pm cassis wrote:
I know there has been a problem near old roche factory the st pancras estate entrance and they were seen up by the swan following the ice up there this morning, I have the same problem with having a water meter fitting and they sent me a letter they would charge me something close 800quid per year as I couldn't have one fitting but my flat is larger than yours
On 29 Dec 2014 at 8:11pm bingo wrote:
Well , I`m not convinced . Bongo's pipes may well be close together ( possibly in a communal cupboard ) but speaking as a retired plumber (1970-2013) there are not many scenarios that can`t be worked out with the necessary skills - apart from galvanised iron pipework Shame that Reliable Plumber spoiled his useful posts
On 29 Dec 2014 at 8:42pm KENDO CASTER wrote:
We had a visit from Southern water last week, the meters are now being fitted inside the house, next to or as close to the main stop cock, they cannot fit one in my house either, no room, I thought they went into the pavements but apparently not.
On 29 Dec 2014 at 9:02pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
Don't be so delicate bingo, you know half the people on here moan about anything and everything!!!
I think the real reason for this thread is the compulsory metering program SW are implementing.
There'll be winners and losers in this but at least you'll be directly responsible for what you use and thus what you pay
Think of it this way, if the electricity company charged you the same way SW used to, you'd wouldn't bother ever turning your lights off !!!
On 29 Dec 2014 at 9:34pm Bongo wrote:
Reliable Plumber, the real reason for the post was to get a rough idea of a typical metered water bill, for a single occupancy one bedroom flat. I really want a meter installed, I believe we should all be metered and be paying for exactly what we use, but it couldn't be done. I'm fed up with Southern Water and their estimated bills. If only I could change suppliers..........

On 29 Dec 2014 at 10:47pm Lewes Plumber wrote:
I could give you a quote for fitting and "in house" meter. You could call Southern Water to ask if this would be acceptable. If they say only their meters are acceptable, let them know that I would be willing to fit their meter in the space specified by Southern Water (unless it is really impossible).
I think, though no real proof; that Southern water is installing mandatory meters where it is most profitable, and putting less priority on flats with single older men and women.
I don't have any proof, but that is what I would do if I was in charge of SW, Rateable value for the old and single, meters for everyone else! = Big Dividends!

On 30 Dec 2014 at 8:53am Bingo wrote:
Agree with Reliable and Lewes . Many years ago S.E. Water compulsorily metered the whole of Hailsham . The meters were all underground . Sounds like Southern are doing exactly what Lewes Plumber suggests. S.E. Water has a similar "guesstimate" of charges where a meter can't be fitted.

On 30 Dec 2014 at 9:56pm Horseman7 wrote:
Hi Bongo,
I don't live in a one bedroom flat but I do live alone. I have a small terraced house in New Malling and pay £8.20 pcm, to include metered water in, drainage out and surface drainage.
Hope this helps and Happy New Year to you too.

On 30 Dec 2014 at 10:12pm Reliable Plumber wrote:
That's good going Horseman!!
I think SW base their guesstimates on 150 litres consumption per person per day
Loads of variables here though:-
watering the garden, washing the car etc
And if you commute then you're not going to be around much during the week and thus use less

On 30 Dec 2014 at 11:32pm Horseman7 wrote:
I suppose I'm careful RP - showers not baths, washing machine and dishwasher always full, run tap into bowl, washing up water on garden etc.

On 30 Dec 2014 at 11:35pm Horseman7 wrote:
But I am around in the day RP - I'm self-employed and drink an awful lot of tea.

On 31 Dec 2014 at 5:24pm Bongo wrote:
Thanks Horseman7. That's useful.
I think you are exempt from paying (or pay a smaller amount) the surface drainage charge if you have water butts. Not certain about this, but seem to remember some small print somewhere....
On 31 Dec 2014 at 6:07pm Boing wrote:
Surface water charge is not payable if you can prove your rainwater does not go to a RW sewer. Butts are not considered

On 5 Jan 2015 at 1:43pm Town Flyer wrote:
I had a meter installed, and bills dropped from circa £45 a month to £10 per month.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

I see you still pay no attention to the bits that might tax the old grey cells. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine