Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Waitrose Quick Check

3
7
On 6 May 2012 at 6:26pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
I shop in Waitrose and use the dibber thingy to scan my own shopping to speed things up a bit.

I keep getting checked when I come to checkout and all my shopping has to be rescanned. Each time it finds that I have scanned all my shopping correctly.

It seems fair to me, as I have signed up to make it quicker for everyone, that if they waste my time checking me and find I have done it correctly that they should compensate for the wasted time by giving me the most expensive item free or something.

What do you think?
7
11
On 6 May 2012 at 6:38pm drone wrote:
I think you should stop using self scan & Tesco customer should refuse to use the unattended checkouts. If enough of us use these facilities the stores will simply use it as means to sack check out staff
8
8
On 6 May 2012 at 8:36pm irked for a while wrote:
Totally agree with drone; had a conversation with staff when they were first introduced - blank faces all round. Still I was one of the last to use automatic filling stations!
Slippage in Waitrose at the moment - mistakes on checkout and less helpful
management. Such a shame because shopping in Waitrose was pleasant - just
because staff were happy.
Now an apology when wrong can seem too much.
Told by one staff member that stocking Echo Falls was an indicator.....
2
12
On 6 May 2012 at 8:56pm Sylvia wrote:
I was told quite some time ago, by a checkout person, that the reason they are keen to check is that there are a lot of well heeled people who "forget" to scan items, especially where they bundle items together in multiples, often one item is uncounted for.
I find the best way is to scan and not pack, then pack into my own bags after checkout. It's less inconvenient than being rescanned.
3
9
On 6 May 2012 at 9:26pm p.c wrote:
well when i shop at the happy shopper . Iwas told some time the scaner play up due to bar code reading .
6
7
On 7 May 2012 at 9:42am Asda wrote:
eh?
5
8
On 7 May 2012 at 12:30pm the old mayor wrote:
The answer is simple ; Wages and employers 'on costs' ie employers national insurance, holiday, maternity, paternity & sick pay, training, uniforms and I am sure I've missed some, just make it so expensive to employ staff in the EU (anyone noticed no ones working much in that part of the world recently?) That if some customers pilfer an extra can of beans it is still cheaper to the retailer than hiring an employee !! Also, it's not only the 'well heeled' of Lewes that STEAL but there is becoming a list of celebrities too!!
 
3
On 7 May 2012 at 4:41pm Local wrote:
I'll own up - if a large organisation gives me the wrong change in my favour, I keep schtumm. Different matter if it's a small local trader, as it feels great to be 100% honest with that type of business. But I know that the biggies will have ripped me off on many occasions, so I feel OK with that.
(And before some knob replies about how do I know that, let me cite you a recent example - a check-out lad at Sainsury's in Brighton charged me for 2 lots of garlic when I only bought one. I wasn't going to drive all the way back there at 22p per mile in petrol costs, even if they had believed my story had i phoned them up...)
6
3
On 7 May 2012 at 9:27pm Pete wrote:
Yep, we had the same issues when we started to use the "dibber thingy", we had to rescan all the time. But we haven't had to rescan for some time now...which means that the next time we go, we will !!
3
2
On 8 May 2012 at 7:57am Angry wrote:
If I wanted to work in a supermarket I would. However I chose not to, and expect a polite cashier to do the scanning for me.
4
2
On 9 May 2012 at 10:14am Mercian wrote:
"Wages and employers 'on costs' ie employers national insurance, holiday, maternity, paternity & sick pay, training, uniforms and I am sure I've missed some, just make it so expensive to employ staff in the EU (anyone noticed no ones working much in that part of the world recently?) "
The problem with that argument, old chap, is that countries such as Sweden and Denmark (not to mention Germany), which have the most comprehensive packages of holiday, maternity, paternity & sick pay, training etc actually have the lowest unemployment rates. Not to mention the most competitive economies in the world and probably the nicest places to live.
But don't let the facts get in the of your misanthropy!
1
2
On 9 May 2012 at 10:55am christnye wrote:
I once advanced the drone theory of needing to keep people employed on checkouts and was told by an economist that i was falling for the Lump of Labour Fallacy. (I'll let you look it up). So I don't worry about it any more.
Isn't the smug feeling you get reward enough Janet?
1
3
On 9 May 2012 at 11:05am the old mayor wrote:
Oh you mention 2 (not mentioning Germany, as you say) out of 17 countries and they have a very low population count. There is always someone who knows better isnt there ? Bottom line is EUROPE AIN'T IN EMPLOYMENT WHAT EVER WAY YOU LOOK AT IT.
Or maybe, just maybe, there are now more people in the world than jobs ?
3
3
On 10 May 2012 at 5:03pm Clifford wrote:
I'd be interested to hear where you read for your economics degree, the old mayor.


23 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Lewes Rugby Club 78:132
Lewes Rugby Club

I'm sad to not be on your book shelf amongst the great works of D.Icke or L. Ron Hubbard et al. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell