Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Vote Lib Dems......

On 26 Apr 2010 at 8:09am The Great unwashed wrote:
......for 5 more years of the jaw dropping Buffon, Gordon Brown... Lets see how else he can screw up the country!!!!!

On 26 Apr 2010 at 8:22am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Can't say his hair looks buffon, bit camp at times maybe.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 8:41am Prick Stein wrote:
Not so much camp as sinister!

On 26 Apr 2010 at 9:34am Clifford wrote:
Whatever happens in this election we can be sure of one thing - Brown's days as prime minister are numbered. Even in the unlikely event of Labour scraping in. I can't remember a prime minister who is more disliked - people loathed or loved Thatcher and Blair, thought Major was a decent bloke even if he was wrong for the job. But Brown has some special quality that makes people feel uncomfortable.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 9:59am Independent thinker wrote:
For those Tories who are still confused, here's how it works here in Lewes.

Vote Sugarman, get Tory.
Vote Baker, get Lib Dem.

Unfortunately if you vote anyone else, you still get Baker or Sugarman, but hopefully electoral reform is on its way (barring a Tory majority of course). As for Brown, he'll only stay as PM if Labour gets most seats and most votes, and that isn't going to happen. I actually think he's a decent man, but he just doesn't have enough support within his own party to hang on with any other result.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 11:03am charlie wrote:
If you vote Baker you have no idea who he will support in government. They will never work with the Conservatives so you just keep Labour in power. That is what voting for Baker will achieve. We will also see Newhaven worse off with no regeneration package and even the French owners of the Port are threatening to withdraw so leaving us without a ferry crossing in Sussex. 13 years of the Libdems has put Newhaven into decline. That is what you get from the Libdems.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 11:16am jrsussex wrote:
As JS said at the Lewes husting Newhaven needs to become an enterprise area, as they did in Chatham, and regeneration will happen.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 11:16am jrsussex wrote:
As JS said at the Lewes husting Newhaven needs to become an enterprise area, as they did in Chatham, and regeneration will happen.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 12:55pm MC wrote:
There is no chance of that happening now. SEEDA (the RDA responsible for funding the enterprise areas) has just had its funding cut (and no doubt will have it cut further once the election is over).

On 26 Apr 2010 at 5:22pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Actually, under the Lib Dems, Newhaven and Haute Normandie became the first places without a land border to get Interreg funding from the EC. For a few years, there was quite a bit of EC money sloshing about, but I can't remeber what projects they funded now.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 6:51pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Nick Clegg has publically statred that Labour is increasingly irrelevant now and it's no secret he hates Gordon Brown, there's simply no way the LibDems would support Labour with him still as leader. They've said they're happy to support the Tories but it's the Tories who are thus far reticent to hold talks, primarily one images because part of the deal will be electoral reform which will weaken the Tory power base.

All this scare mongering about a hung parliament is really ridiculous. The country needs a change from the old, broken party politics of the last 30 years and the only way we'll get that will be through one of the old parties being forced to accept electoral reform as part of a cooperation deal. It's really cynical of the Tories in particular to use the phrase hung parliament like it's a bad thing as less informed people pick up on the tone and sheep-like will vote Tory as a result, leading to another five years of the same old rubbish.

I'm getting sicker and sicker of the Tories by the day in this campaign, I can't remember the last time a campaign was so singularly negative. If only they had some actual policies to big up, rather than just continually trying to tell us how bad everyone else is.

On 26 Apr 2010 at 8:48pm Sylvia wrote:
ACT is quite right, the Lib Dems have been responsible for the building of the South Downs College, Surestart Nursery and enterprise hub, all built on LDC land. They managed the project with SEEDA money for the hub and are responsible for seeing it remains financially sound. They also, attracted numerous grants for Newhaven Fort to run as a major tourist attraction and were responsible for bringing about and managing the vast improvements on West Quay. The Tories are just plain liars when they say Lib Dems have ignored Newhaven. The evidence is there with bricks and mortar

On 26 Apr 2010 at 9:07pm Prick Stein wrote:
Lib Dems also responsible for wasting a vast amount of money on trying to get the Falmer Stadium decision overturned!

On 26 Apr 2010 at 9:52pm The Great Unwashed wrote:
Well said Clifford!!!!!
And "Ed can Do" .... Lib dems will ONLY turn their backs on labour IF.. THATS IF they beat them in the polls to third place... Dont believe all the daily polls you read in your snoozepapers!!!!
Simple ... a vote for Lib dems will keep labour in power... maybe even Gordon "the jaw dropper" Brown...
Seriously!!! What is it with the labour party??? Blair couldnt string a sentance together without pausing for effect half way though, and Gordon cant finish one with out his bottom jaw hitting the ground!!!!

On 26 Apr 2010 at 10:50pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Well said ECD. But how on earth would the Tories justify a coalition with the Lib dems given Cameron absolutely refuses to countenance PR? And Cameron can hardly object about the fainess of the FPTP system if Labour get a majority on fewer votes than the Tories - which could happen given the way the boundaries are drawn. Labour will be asked to form a govt first if there is no overall winner, and Clegg would be foolish to turn them down, because Labour are the only major party willing to countenance PR.
The worse case scenario is Vote Clegg, get Cameron, which could make many people think twice about voting for Baker.

Sylvia - not quite sure it's correct to say LDC are responsible for South Downs College and Surestart nursery. I'm pretty sure the cap ex for education building projects comes from central govt funds, which is why there has been so much investment in school buildings under this Labour government. And Surestart nurseries are one of the BIG successes of the government and again funding comes direct.

On 27 Apr 2010 at 7:52am Lewes trousers wrote:
I think you are right Brixtonbelle and I have noticed in Lib dem literature the claiming of national government schemes as local liberal acheiements. They did it with the free swimming for seniors at the leisure centre, which was all funded by Labour as part of their free stuff for OAPS..bus passes, TV licences and the like.
All our different posts show that no one really knows what will happen across the country, never mind lewes, at least it makes the election interesting for the first time in about 35 years

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

I pay lots of subscription fees for various tv, film and music services....including the BBC....i can't recall ever feeling... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG