Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Virgin destroying Lewes

On 15 May 2017 at 11:28am OCD wrote:
Currently they are ripping up Malling. Grass verges trashed, stupid wobbly black lines of poorly done tarmac everywhere....disgusting.
On 15 May 2017 at 12:56pm Winterbourne Resident wrote:
Welcome to my(our) world....
Virgin left our patch weeks ago and our pavements and verges still look a real mess - the mix of cutter dust/cement and general cr@p has formed a solid film on the pavements that pressure washing and/or rain just won't shift. Virgin will claim they pressure-washed the pavement after they had completed the cable-laying, trouble is they do it days later, by which time the mess has already set/solidified.
And where they cut through verges they rarely bother to replace the turf and/or to re-seed the patching with any care, so verges are left with dead or bare patches..
I hate to think what'll happen when they start attacking the clay-paved pavements on the historic core of the town - and it may well happen just as the peak tourist season starts to kick in.
Someone, somewhere needs to be held to account - someone in LDC (I presume?) must have sanctioned Virgin's approach - whomever it was needs to be taken to task and asked if they would; be happy if such shoddy workmanship left their front garden/drive/path in a similar state.
No doubt Virgin has subbed the work out to cheapest possible bidder who employs teams who have no real pride in their work, who are probably on a bonus if they get the cables laid by a set date etc, and none of whom appear to come from Lewes, so they have no feel/care for the historic nature of the place.
Latest edition of Lewes News suggests residents email head of Virgin Media (IIRC) and ask for him to sort the mess out. It might work if he gets several thousand similar complaints clogging his inbox.
Or contact local BBC and get them to run a feature on the mess, that might provide a response from Virgin, if they feel their reputation/brand is at risk of being damaged, but I suspect all they care about is getting the cables laid, and screwing a few more residents for Cable TV/Internet subscriptions.
On 15 May 2017 at 2:31pm mrs p wrote:
do you have the email address to hand?
the massive grey boxes on neville road and end of prince eds are pretty grim
On 15 May 2017 at 5:18pm Ed Can Do wrote:
When I saw the thread title I assumed this was going to be about Paul Newman or Pedr0 again.
On 15 May 2017 at 5:29pm Pedro wrote:
Ahh to be at the expense of secondary school level digs from strangers on an internet forum! Think its time to drive off beachy-head! Good bye cruel world
On 15 May 2017 at 6:55pm Malling resident wrote:
Grass grows back folks. Calm down, it'll all be forgotten soon. Probably as you're looking at the Lewes forum over your high speed Virgin Media broadband

On 15 May 2017 at 8:09pm Responsibility wrote:
So will LDC provide the public with a statement explaining when planning approval was given for all this work, together with any compensation being given by Virgin or its contractor to the Council........
On 15 May 2017 at 8:16pm Billy Bull wrote:
I have no faith compensation to the council will ever be used to make the streets better. Virgin should just be made to do a proper repair job.
On 15 May 2017 at 8:56pm The Old Mayor wrote:
I agree, however the state of the grass verges is deplorable, the contractors have decided just to cut one mowers width on the verges and not attempt the banks at all. Weeds everywhere, no pride in a highly council taxed historic town. Which only leads to the "broken window" theory and anti social behaviour.
On 16 May 2017 at 3:12pm Stop voting Tory then wrote:
Old Mayor, there's barely enough cash left in local government to keep the schools open, if you want to see the grass verges getting mowed then pray that everyone sees sense and stops voting for Tory austerity.

On 21 Sep 2017 at 8:41am rubyblue wrote:
what about the cobbles in market street ..gone..im so angry ..and working late at night until 12pm

On 21 Sep 2017 at 8:58am Driver wrote:
What a pleasant surprise it was recently, when using the major eastbound route through Lewes, to drive along smooth tarmac instead of those unsuitable paving bricks that had sunk into ruts.
There are plenty of "cobbles" around town, in more suitable locations for those that admire them. Keere Street, for example.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

Clean your own place. Most people do. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine