Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Vera Drake on Film 4 at 10.40 tonight.

On 3 Nov 2010 at 6:13pm Film Buff. wrote:
Vera Drake.Film 4 at 10.40pm.
A kindly woman living in 1950s London carries out discreet illegal abortions for women in desperate straits, an activity which she keeps secret from her family. But one day a young woman falls seriously ill after the operation and the business is exposed, leaving her facing prosecution. Mike Leigh's drama, starring Imelda Staunton, Phil Davis, Eddie Marsan and Sally Hawkins.
Another film directed by Mike Leigh.
This is a favourite of mine...

On 3 Nov 2010 at 7:38pm jrsussex wrote:
Not really with you on this one. I was around in the 50's and 60's when illegal abortions were happening more than people may think. In the extreme women died but many were never able to concieve after these women had finished their illegal activities. Don't forget that in the main they did not do it for any other reason than the fee they charged, they were not being benevolent. Women were in a very difficult position then, no pill and very few men willing to take precautions, but that does not excuse what the Vere Drake's of the world done to women in their troubled times.

On 3 Nov 2010 at 7:48pm not from around here wrote:
That doesn't mean it's not a good film though JRsussex does it?

On 3 Nov 2010 at 8:40pm Clifford wrote:
A friend of mine's mother was a 'back street' abortionist in the early 60s JR. Of course she was doing it for money - but what else were women to do? You don't stop abortion by making it illegal. All you do is make it more dangerous. I've never known a woman who has had an abortion to take the decision lightly.

On 3 Nov 2010 at 9:56pm Anon. wrote:
When I was growing up I heard the words "Hot bath and a neat gin and tonic will do the trick..."
I wonder how many babies were actually aborted in this way?
A few deaths in probably thousands...Doesn't sound a lot different to the deaths from Es and 'legal highs'.
As for the deaths with alcohol and tobacco...

On 3 Nov 2010 at 10:11pm MC wrote:
Yes the devastating harm caused by alcohol on so many different levels makes the harm caused by the rest (in this case drugs and abortion) pale into insignificance.

h**p://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov/01/alcohol-more-harmful-than-heroin-crack

Saying that, as a devout believer in population control, the pope and the evil and insidious catholic religion have a lot to answer for, including dangerous illegal abortion.

On 4 Nov 2010 at 9:23am jrsussex wrote:
not from around here - I never said it wasn't a good film, there have been many good films based on abhorrent subjects. I simply pointed out the fact that many women suffered throughout their lives for making the mistake of having an unwanted pregnancy, going to a "back street abortionist" and then often not being able to produce children and in extrene examples dying. I recall, as Clifford does, that there were several women where I grew up that "could sort out these problems".
To attempt to justify any deaths or serious health damage caused by illegal abortion, by comparing them to deaths caused by drugs or alcohol seems positively ridiculous to me. Would that comparison include murders and other acts of violence?
Is the Catholic Church the only body against abortion MC? I think not. Who thinks it right that some use abortion as a form of birth control?

On 4 Nov 2010 at 9:36am Clifford wrote:
Though I'm an atheist, I'm with JRS on this: the Catholic Church isn't the only one to oppose abortion and I can readily understand the objections to legalising abortion, though I don't agree with them. And there is no reason at all to use abortion as a means of birth control when so many other methods are available. As far as any church is concerned, it seems quite simple: if you don't believe in its teaching you leave, if you stay you abide by the teaching.

On 4 Nov 2010 at 10:01am Down and Out wrote:
"Who thinks it right that some use abortion as a form of birth control?"

I don't understand what this means. Abortion is a form of birth control, surely? What else would you call it?

On 4 Nov 2010 at 12:46pm jrsussex wrote:
Down and Out - Very good comment, but there are circumstances where it must be allowed. Rape and mental or physical dis-ability comes to mind. With disability my own daughter has a child with am autism problem (not severe) which she has coped with rather well. We have to be compassionate though, not all people have the strength required to cope with disabled off spring.

On 4 Nov 2010 at 3:53pm homesick wrote:
Have I stumbled into a previous time? Women's bodies are their own business. No one should force anyone to go through a pregnancy or have an unwanted child.
If you don't want to have an abortion, don't have one.

On 4 Nov 2010 at 4:25pm Clifford wrote:
Exactly right homesick.

On 4 Nov 2010 at 8:45pm MC wrote:
Abortion is not a form of birth control anyone would choose. Condoms, coils, pills etc are freely available and do not cause lasting psychological damage. No-one chooses abortion as their preferred birth control option. Please get real.

The Catholic religion is not the only organisation that chooses to increase it's numbers by encouraging it's members to breed irresponsibly. However, it is large (and sadly) very influential... and for god's sake it's a religion... something that prides itself on preaching and spreadng good for all (which plainly it isn't. and doesn't). Children buggered by priests? Spanish inquisition...

It's rubbish. Just another repressive body, intent on keeping the people in their place.

On 5 Nov 2010 at 10:16am jrsussex wrote:
MC - I know from your posts on this forum you are not a naive person. Do you really believe that some women with an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy do not terminate it by abortion. If that is not a form of birth control what is it?

On 5 Nov 2010 at 1:43pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
JRS - you should read the rest of MC'S post. Vis: "Abortion is not a form of birth control anyone would choose. " I think that makes it fairly clear.
I agree with all you say MC, and homesick. Well said.

On 16 Nov 2010 at 12:46am poo mcfuck wrote:
HELLO

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes pottery 75:132
Lewes pottery

Hello

Lewes is beautiful and I have been considering moving there for a while. I am now thinking of buying a place on Friars... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy