Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Unusual Boat

On 13 Nov 2015 at 7:38pm IMEYOU wrote:
Unusual castle looking boat moored on the River Ouse Lewes. Does anyone here know anything about it?

Check it out here »
On 13 Nov 2015 at 7:40pm IMEYOU wrote:
The Pic

Check it out here »
On 13 Nov 2015 at 8:25pm Grand Design wrote:
Castle ? It's a conservatory for the rustbucket.
On 13 Nov 2015 at 9:01pm Grafter wrote:
There is an earlier thread about this vessel which was towed up by the lifeboat I believe. It appears to be a converted barge. It conjures up visions of Huckleberry Finn to me. Nice funnel! I imagine there is a wood burner under there.
On 13 Nov 2015 at 9:22pm Captain Pugwash wrote:
Here it is again

On 14 Nov 2015 at 4:34am popeye wrote:
I think it is an amazing looking boat, I believe the owner took a long time working on it and all credit to him. I would love to see more boats like this moored along the Ouse, it certainly gives it some character. I own the quay further along and just wished it was moored closer.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 7:38am Bluto wrote:
Bet your quay aint worth £350k like the rustbucket site
On 14 Nov 2015 at 10:48am popeye wrote:
Where on earth did you get that figure from. Mind you I might sell the quay one day so any offers will be considered. Bearing in mind it never floods and you dont need planning to moor a boat there.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 12:15pm Dumb Design wrote:
£350,000 was the price of the site quoted on Grand Designs. He might have been ripped off something rotten, of course.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 12:47pm popeye wrote:
Sorry Bluto, When you said rustbucket site I thought you was referring to the mooring where that nice looking boat is moored. On Grand designs thread I thought he was referring to the boat as a rustbucket which annoyed me but Olive has explained it to me that Grand Designs was the programme that showed the new house built further up. Olive said she will give me a double helping of spinach as she thinks my brain is going.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 1:28pm Dumb Design wrote:
Ah ... that makes sense, Popeye.
That lovely looking boat is nothing like a rustbucket. In fact, it makes a rather nice Gateway to Lewes.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 7:01pm Red wrote:
Thats weird
On 14 Nov 2015 at 7:56pm One of that lot wrote:
Looks like it's the one that's been dry docked at Newhaven boat yard. I was there not so long ago where a similar but smaller one is currently being done up.
On 14 Nov 2015 at 8:01pm Belladonna wrote:
I hope it's permanent. We need more like it along the river - I'm amazed that no one has brought flat bottomed barges up river to live in - a much cheaper alternative to the horrendous prices of property in town
On 15 Nov 2015 at 7:25am Bluto wrote:
Good idea Bel. I wouldn't mind doing that myself and buying popeye's mooring . But I'll bet there are miles of red tape to stop you - and the tidal river perhaps ?
On 15 Nov 2015 at 11:21am popeye wrote:
Hi Bluto, You would not need planning permission to moor a boat alongside the Quay as it was used many years ago to moor Barges to take lime from the cement works. Apparently families lived on these barges and it must have been a very exciting life. I think the planning department would need a lot of persuading to do the same but who knows. The tidal river should not be a problem.
On 15 Nov 2015 at 11:56pm Belladonna wrote:
Can't see why tides would be a problem if boats are correctly tethered to a pontoon/ flexible mooring. The only problem would be fresh water and waste disposal.
On 16 Nov 2015 at 7:55am sceptic wrote:
fresh water on a houseboat is no problem, you just install a storage tank. In regards to sewage I believe you are allowed to dispose it at sea, it varies country to country but it is usually about 3 miles out. Or alternativually there are waste disposal places around. Its just a case of doing your homework. Excuse the spelling but for some reason I could not go back to correct it.
On 16 Nov 2015 at 7:11pm sailor wrote:
I've been watching this being built whilst it was at Cantell's boatyard at Newhaven. A lot of effort has been put into this in all weathers and I think the result is superb. Hats off to the owner as it's far better than the nearby "habitat reject" monstrosity (how the hell did that get planning permission?) that is being built and blends in a lot better as well!
On 9 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm charlotte podesta wrote:
This is my dads boat and hes spent 6 years building it (with my help lol) a perfect home it is xx
On 19 Feb 2018 at 8:04pm Loopylisa wrote:
Charlotte there's issues with the boat- looks like it may sink ... can you contact me on fb (lisa Bowie) or check out the Lewes Past Lewes Present page on facebook

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

I donít claim anything

I merely posted what a friend of mine wrote to his mp.

I made no indication that I disbelieve or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington