Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ukraine and all that !

On 28 Aug 2014 at 11:27am Confused of Lewes wrote:
Ok, so I offer condolences to Ukrainian cleaner living with English husband about the situation back in her homeland, and she tells me she's glad Russia is apparently trying to take back her country. What should I make of this and what on earth should we in this country be doing about this ? I'm clueless obviously.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 12:01pm Southover Queen wrote:
I think you've probably nailed the problem - a significant number of those on the eastern side of Ukraine are or consider themselves to be Russians and want to align themselves with the Russian Federation. So many of the conflicts around the world seem to be based in historical boundaries imposed by foreign empires which ride rough shod over the natural ethnic and linguistic divisions.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 1:36pm Confused of Lewes wrote:
So we just sit back and let them fight it out then ? I can't be the only one tired of watching all this death and destruction, be it Russian led, IS lead, Israel/Palestine. In this world of social media is there anyway we can reach out and say What's the bloody point ? Both literally and metaphorically.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 2:06pm Clifford wrote:
Confused of Lewes - so what's the alternative to letting the Ukrainians sort out which side wants to be Russian and which not? NATO war with Russia?
On 28 Aug 2014 at 2:35pm Historian wrote:
We've got our own problems, thankfully Scotland only wants a vote, not an invasion !!

On 28 Aug 2014 at 4:26pm Clifford wrote:
It's interesting, isn't it Historian, that the Irish had to fight a war of independence against the British to get rid of us. At least the Scots can do it on a vote. If they want it. Some things have improved.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 5:47pm Confused of Lewes wrote:
Clifford that was kinda what I was asking you. I don't know. In a democratic society we would normally have a vote but Ukraine clearly isn't so are we obliged to sort out their country to stop the massacre ? Be it in the guise of NATO or individually. Should we even care ?

On 28 Aug 2014 at 7:23pm Grunge wrote:
Should we have the role of the world's policemen imposed on us and the USA? It is dreadful to think of people killing each other, but is it perhaps more dreadful to send our own people to be killed in a dispute in which we are not, strictly speaking, involved?

On 29 Aug 2014 at 6:41am Him who knows wrote:
The recent problems in the Ukraine were set off when the West (mainly the US) supported and encouraged some pro-west Ukranian Nazis in their desire to seize power from the elected pro-Russian government. As always, the spat has been about resources, in this case the huge Ukrainian oil and gas reserves. Soon after they took power the new pro-West government signed a major energy deal with a US oil company to exploit its reserves. One of the owners of the company is US politician Dick Cheney's son.
The people in east Ukraine are Russians and want to be part of Russia, so they decided to split from the rest of the Ukraine as it was effectively run by the US and the EU via a bunch of Ukranian Nazi thugs. Russia of course supported them.

I hope that's clear.

On 29 Aug 2014 at 9:06am Confused of Lewes wrote:
So Him who Knows what about the Russian mafia running their own country, draining their resources and a few of them getting seriously wealthy in the process. Aren't they as bad ? And perhaps their motivation to taking back Ukraine could have something to do with tapping into a few more natural resources ? The question is should we be intervening or not.

On 29 Aug 2014 at 9:32am Al Kapoenski wrote:
Hey Confused , you ask too many questions

On 29 Aug 2014 at 11:45am Him who knows wrote:
@ Confused.
You're talking about the Tories right?

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bill Lewes 10:132
Bill Lewes

Any Lewes dentists actually doing normal checkups yet? Mermaid aren't which is bad. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde