Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Trains Bonfire Night

On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:06am Rail user wrote:
Southern rail took the decision not to allow trains to stop in Lewes not the Rail Union. This decision was supported by County and District Councils, Police and Fire services for :Health and Safety" reasons. The Rail Union is being blamed for this action when in fact it was their bosses decision. Southern Rail are perfectly happy to perpetuate this myth.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:08am ar10642 wrote:
Correctly so, because running a partial train service would create dangerously crowded conditions. It needs to be a full service or nothing.
The only reason there is a partial rail service is because the RMT deliberately picked the 5th to strike, so they are 100% responsible.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:17am A Person wrote:
Oh come on: Southern have been useless from day one. The service is chaotic whether the RMT's on strike or not.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:30am ar10642 wrote:
This is the first year (ever?) there has been a strike on the 5th, and it is *entirely* the RMT's choice to pick this day. Nobody else is to blame for this, and they've done it to create maximum disruption for their lost cause.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:50am Wotcha wrote:
Or, possibly, the RMT's radar fails to pick up that anything at all is happening this weekend in one small town at the edge of Southern Rail's operating area.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 11:59am ar10642 wrote:
It's the only weekend day they've picked, so I doubt it. Also, it's a key junction on the Southern network.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 12:57pm bob bob bob wrote:
hey ar10642. If your boss said he was going to rip up your contract and give you a new one that isn't as good you'd just smile and say thank you? These people are having their livelihoods threatened by a company that is being run badly and trying to make good by penalising their employees.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm ar10642 wrote:
For what it's worth I don't think the fight the DfT want with the guards is worth having - they might as well stay now. But it's clear the DfT have made their mind up and the RMT digging in now is having no actual effect other than punishing the people who rely on the train service. The Christmas strike dates they have just announced are particularly cynical and I doubt will earn them much support with the public.
The RMT should have cut their losses weeks ago and fought for the best conditions on the replacement role instead.
For me, the writing has been on the wall with regard to the guard's role since the first DOO operations (brought in by the nationalised railway) in the 1980s. This development really shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 5:14pm Lolo wrote:
We need to look at the bigger picture, guards on trains mean safer railways. Short pain = Long gain.
On 4 Nov 2016 at 5:20pm astrid wrote:
They should all be sacked!! the government should intervene. there is no reason to strike. Their pay wasn't going to be affected just the role. which is not needed. people need to move with the times. shame on them they are 100% to blame. ruining and disrupting hundreds of peoples lives sometimes on a daily basis!!! With shortage of police they surely welcome the train strike and as someone said above a partial service would make for a dangerously over crowded service. .
On 5 Nov 2016 at 9:48am Michael wrote:
Astrid, they're not striking about pay but about the loss of passenger safety in unmanned carriges.
On 5 Nov 2016 at 2:14pm astrid wrote:
I know what they are striking about!!! they are not being treated unfairly and they are def not striking for us!! they don't want to move with the times and dont like change. as a women i wouldn't feel any safer with a guard on the train. if he happens to be the other end of the train when an inciddent occurs then what good will that be to me?? also they have no control unlike a police man a guard would not be able to do anything and shouldn't be put in that position in the first place. they should cut their loses while they still have jobs to go back to. I did have sympathy with them at the start however as a daily commuter to London it is very hard. they are putting my safety in jeopardy with being forced to travel later than i feel comfortable. shame on them!!!!!!

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:132
extinction rebellion lewes

That isn't what the feudal system was at all and the Normans didn't introduce it. Please continue. I'm all in favour of your... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan