Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Time for Lights Out?

On 15 Aug 2008 at 12:44pm sashimi wrote:
If Lewes is so Green and all the local politicians are trying to get on the bandwaggon why don't Transition Town Lewes begin by campaigning for businesses and retailers to turn the lights out at night. Why are the Council (and other) offices lit up when there's no one there? What's the point of lighting shop windows when they are closed? Why do we need the streets lit after midnight. This would save a lot of money as well as reducing carbon footprint (whatever that may be). And it's a lot simpler than getting people to change their dietary habits.

On 15 Aug 2008 at 1:05pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Which 'Council' do you mean? The Town Council do turn off their lights at night unless there is an event on. Perhaps an email to whoever you mean might be interesting??

On 15 Aug 2008 at 3:25pm X wrote:
Why do we need streets lit after midnight. Because people can go out after midnight, Labour hasn't introduce a curfew. Yet.

On 15 Aug 2008 at 8:44pm SHS wrote:
Excellent idea Sashimi. Similar savings could be made if businesses issued free Arran sweaters to staff and turned the heating down by The Three Degrees (remember them?). Turning the lights off might stimulate an interest in astronomy and so reduce crime (or increase neck injuries?)......or increase the population (over to you Dirk Campbell!).

On 15 Aug 2008 at 10:46pm chris wrote:
Having grown up in Plumpton Green where there is no street lighting,I can say that I miss the untainted views of the night sky. What I don't miss is... wondering if I am about to tread on a leaf or a dog turd (that is I you have the luxury of moonlight),wondering where the pavement ends,potholes,teenagers,puddles.
I think that most shops in Lewes act responsibly with their overnight lighting,but there are a couple in Cliffe that look like Christmas all year round,and one of those never even BLOODY opens

On 16 Aug 2008 at 12:33am Dirk Campbell wrote:
At the last meeting of the TTL Energy Group which I attended, there was a decision to approach Lewes businesses about this very question. I will report back on progress.

Regarding the population issue, I am not qualified to comment.

On 16 Aug 2008 at 9:05am Lord Landport wrote:
Anyone noticed the new lights on the hand rail on the righthand side of the entrance to the victoria hospital
my god its like driving head first into the sun why do they need them and on all night ? the hospital A&E isnt open at night visitors cant come after certain time so it's for the staff ? I might be wrong but somebody said if you change one standard bulb to a energy saving you save approx 12 a year wow how much is that row of lights costing us the tax payer.
ps if you change from paper billing to online with british gas they send you 4 energy saving bulbs free.

On 16 Aug 2008 at 9:17am Turnip wrote:
We want the streets to be safe at night so I think lighting is a good idea. But, the intensity of the lighting needs to be reduced.

On 16 Aug 2008 at 1:00pm sashimi wrote:
OK, Turnip and X, how about turning half the street lights out after midnight. If that and turning off office and shop lights out after hours were done across the country, we'd save 3% of our CO2 emissions. That the least painful saving we can make - before we have to junk the 4x4s and the foreign air travel or all become vegetarians. So why don't we just do it?

On 16 Aug 2008 at 8:56pm SHS wrote:
Smelling mae knot be cowwect bcus I've terned orff the screen.... letz orwl tern orff hour BC sweens...

On 18 Aug 2008 at 11:44am X wrote:
Or maybe we just convert our street lights so they build up solar power during the day and use it at night. That way we cut CO2 emissions even more, save taxpayers money and are still able to see at night (by the way studies suggest lit areas have less crime than unlit ones so it is good for personal safety too).

On 18 Aug 2008 at 12:18pm Taff wrote:
Excellent ideas. When has anything ever saved taxpayers money?

On 18 Aug 2008 at 12:35pm not from around here wrote:
By the way - were I live the street lights go out at midnight. They leave just one two on for the whole road. Personally I'm in favour of streetlights out but apparently well lit streets are a better crime deterrent than CCTV so I dunno..

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes religion 77:132
Lewes religion

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG