Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Thoughts on Western Road School?

On 14 Dec 2011 at 6:52pm Mrs Greensleaves wrote:
Dear all, I am soon to move to the Lewes area and amkeen to get my 10 year old son a place in Western Road. I had heard some considerably good reports about the educational environment, the Head Teacher etc,... but I have recently been made aware of some poor aspects of the school particularly regarding the staff there. Does anyone have any opinion on the merits of sending your child there?

On 14 Dec 2011 at 8:08pm fairmeadow wrote:
Let us guess where you are moving from!
This is Lewes. All the state schools are fine. Not perfect, but fine. Get over it.

On 14 Dec 2011 at 8:53pm padster wrote:
is your child good enough for this school? Will they be a disruptive influence?
of course you will say no but we must remember it is a contract, the school to the young people it fosters and the children and their parents who support the school in how it delivers education.
personally i know nothing of this school but judging lewes i guess it wont be bad.
St Pancras will be my choice, but i am a catholic so its simple choice for me.

On 14 Dec 2011 at 9:46pm Vampire Buffet Slayer wrote:
If admissions for that year are anything like the (seriously oversubscribed) admissions for the reception classes this year,don't be surprised if you end up drawing a short straw!

On 14 Dec 2011 at 10:34pm Mrs Greensleaves wrote:
Thank you for your thoughts....some spikier than others! :-) Any more helpful comments out there? The picture is still quite unclear. Many thanks! x
On 14 Dec 2011 at 11:14pm Fairmeadow wrote:
I'm afraid you have the wrong attitude for Lewes Mrs G. We send our kids to the local school, and then do our best to help the staff deliver an excellent educations. Which, mostly, they do.
"Which is the best school for my little prince" belongs 50 miles further north where "There is no such thing as society". That attitude is just SO destructive. We don't want it here.
Sorry if this sounds spiky, but it is important. Lewes is a community. That's how it works. If you can't accept that, or it doesn't suit you, don't come.

On 15 Dec 2011 at 8:05am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
I think it's fair enough to ask what the schools are like where you're moving to. I don't particularly recognise the cosy Lewes so abrasively described by Fairmeadow, though there is some good community stuff going on and a lot of active and involved people. Anyway, my kids go to Western Road and we're very happy with it, but I have also heard good things about all the other schools. And some not so good things as well, including about Western Road. There's no such thing as a perfect school, but we are lucky here to have a choice, and all the schools offer something good.

On 15 Dec 2011 at 12:10pm Mars Resident wrote:
Dear Mrs Greensleaves, please accept my apologies on behalf of the good people of Lewes for the comments directed towards you. You will find that apart from a few utter morons, we are a welcoming bunch. I have three school age children so speak from personal experience. My wife and I love living and working in Sussex and my children have benefited from the brilliant schooling and community spirit here. Seasons greetings.

On 15 Dec 2011 at 10:06pm Mrs Greensleaves wrote:
Thank you Winterborne Wanderer and Mars Resident for your lovely and enriching and intelligent comments. I was beginning to wonder if there was a problem in Lewes there! Seasons greetings to you all! x

On 16 Dec 2011 at 1:39pm Mar Resident wrote:
Hi Again, it's like any place where people are essentially invisible/anonymous, it allows them to be much ruder than they would be face to face. Hence all the problems caused by fire-and-forget technology such as email/text etc.
I imagine all of us have sent messages which we wish we hadn't sent when hindsight kicks in.

On 16 Dec 2011 at 2:28pm Oversubscribed wrote:
"We send our kids to the local school"
We'd like to do that - I'm just not sure it will happen to many of us this year

On 16 Dec 2011 at 6:19pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Now that is a REAL issue, Oversubscibed.
ESCC have to find places for all the children, but if Lewes has 30 extra children next year, then (given the parlous state of the national finances) they can probably afford only one extra class, at one school.
That might mean readjusting traditional boundaries, but, if all the schools are, and all are seen as, much the same, that just means you might have to trog a little bit further in the morning. If you let the DFLs bring in their "My little prince/princess must have the best" selfishness to Lewes, this minor inconvenience becomes a nightmare. Let them do things their way, and they will magically create sink schools in a town that has never had any.
There are some, actually quite a lot of, areas in which the "Me and mine first" selfishness illustrated here just creates problems that are totally unnecessary and avoidable. We don't have it in most of Sussex, and we certainly don't want it in Lewes.
Of course schools will have problems from time to time. When they happen, the parents and staff need to get together and put it right. Far better to use your influence as a parent to put things right.
Steps down off high horse. But this DOES matter.

On 16 Dec 2011 at 8:09pm Cliffe wrote:
I thought schools worked on area's for example if you live in Malling your more likely to be allocated Ringmer as your secondary school. I went to Western Rd as a youngster and loved it, and from what I've heard lately it has a great before and after school club for the parents still working. Also friend said to me Western Rd top of the league tables (but what does that mean when it comes to primary education)

On 17 Dec 2011 at 12:40am A normal person wrote:
Am I alone in despising children and all the poncy chit-chat about the little monsters on places like this?

On 17 Dec 2011 at 12:30pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Looks like it, yes. But I'm always genuinely sorry for people who say they despise children as it makes me wonder if they had a horrible childhood themselves, to feel so strongly about a universal state of humankind that we all go through.

On 17 Dec 2011 at 10:29pm Oversubscribed wrote:
Cliffe, children are allocated within the community area (and all of Lewes town is the same area) based on the first choices of those who have
(i) Special needs
(ii) Siblings
(iii) Distance from school, with those nearest being allocated first
Until the school is full.
There are no 'catchments' within Lewes. You could be 200m from a school and not get in if there are enough siblings. Also, one could be closer to school B than school A but still get into school A based on distance; meanwhile another family for whom school A is the closest school might not get in, with the other family allocated first.

On 24 Dec 2011 at 12:09pm good person wrote:
what year would your son be in?

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Webbo Penny 129:132
Webbo Penny

This morning some runners from Lewes (hardy souls given the downpours) were passing along the lanes in East Chiltington when they... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan