Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

This forum 2

 
2
On 4 Aug 2011 at 12:45pm Coward wrote:
Toot - 90% of my class at school thought that the Osmonds were the best pop group ever. Didn't make them right.
I posted a long time ago about a particular subject that was very close to my heart and although some people agreed, those that didn't just hounded me relentlessly so that I couldn't put a post up saying that, say black is not the same colour as white, without being shouted down and pilloried and the original subject being referred to whether it was relevant or not. None of the forum regulars objected to this behaviour.
I don't mind being criticised for my views, however, as I said in my previous post, there is absolutely no need for ganging up on someone and repeatedly kicking the sh*t out of them, unless, perhaps, they are bullying someone else.
MC - I have noticed that as one of the regulars you have tolerated this behaviour but don't like it when it's dished out to you.
1
4
On 4 Aug 2011 at 1:34pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
As you say COWARD - I think! - we do not expect to be agreed with by everybody, or even anybody, but I think the way some peoples opinions are vented is spiteful and unnecessary - for instance a view is more valid than anothers because it is spelt better, mmmmmmm!!!!?!!!! My spelling is not good, but this is meant to be conversation! Would you ask me if I knew how to spell every word I uttered if we were face to face speaking? I think not!! when I am working I use spell check and my best companion is a dictionary. When I speak to people I am more than able to disagree without being petty, spiteful or down right rude. People who look down on the great unwashed had better watch out, there but for the grace of god!!!!
1
5
On 4 Aug 2011 at 2:40pm The Scarlet Wimpernel wrote:
This could be a good forum and its really a shame it has been allowed to sink to the lowest common denominator.
It needs a tight comments policy with few individuals either banned or given a yellow card. Until some action is taken it will exclude the majority who have better things to do than swap dull and puerile insults.
Sad place for sad people as it is.
4
1
On 4 Aug 2011 at 3:24pm Decent Citizen. wrote:
What do you mean"could be"a good forum? It is already. If you are overly sensitive to not getting replied to, or a snap comment, may I politely suggest to find a forum to suit your needs?
3
2
On 4 Aug 2011 at 3:24pm Toot wrote:
Coward - again at the risk of being accused of bullying or being nasty, that is a dumbfoundingly weak argument you've just put forward.
Comparing a debate on a forum topic between 'adults' to children's preference for a particular music group is just plain silly isn't it?
If 95% of people tell you something is red but you're convinced it's green, then it might be worth you considering you're colour blind, that's all I was saying.
And if, as you say, a topic or opinion is particularly valued to you, then have the courage of your convictions and stand up for it (lucidly). You're an adult and should be able to handle constructive criticism or ignore stupid trolling.
My experience of this site is that people jump on those who are close-minded and unwilling to be criticised or tested on their views, they don't tend to shout down people who put their views across coherently and are willing to listen to other points of view.
But that's just my own experience of it - I can't vouch that it's always like this because I don't read every post.
4
2
On 4 Aug 2011 at 3:25pm bastian wrote:
what ever the subject people have choices,to reply or to contradict,to ignore or to challenge.That is what a forum is about,they must also be allowed to get bored if the poster goes on too long because that would be too much in a face to face conversation.What you write will get a responce,if you are careful about what you write and write a short pthy comment people will respond either sympathetically or intelligently.keep it short and to the point,that gets the best out of everyone then we can ignore the twerps who write like children.
4
1
On 4 Aug 2011 at 3:29pm bastian wrote:
by the way,thank you to those who appreciate my input,this is the only forum I write on and it is very useful for local info on an as it happens basis,also I only write under this name,I cannot be bothered to play silly games and it is boring when other people do.
5
1
On 4 Aug 2011 at 3:33pm jrsussex wrote:
TSW - Must disagree with you. It is inevitable that some posts will be considered stupid, nonsense, irrelevent, nasty and whatever other words you care to describe them as. The most important thing about the forum is that it allows you to express your view on whatever matter you choose to, as the beginner of a new thread or in response to one that is already started.
That some posters receive what they perceive to be "nasty replies" is all part of the free speech that democracy allows. If you cannot withstand that criticism then there is little point in your being here. I personally enjoy reading the many varying views held by ordinary people, I value them far more than those of the politicians etc. At least they are in the main the honest views of the posters.
4
1
On 4 Aug 2011 at 4:56pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think this forfum is just fine as it is. There are some regular posters who wind me up, I know who they are and ignore their posts.
Anyone who thinks there is nastiness on here should visit Digital Spy and have a look on any threads to do with benefits, or go on Champdogs and say they've got a lovely Staffie bitch they want to breed from and are looking for a stud dog. Then they'll see what vitriolic posts are really like.
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 6:56pm Coward wrote:
Livelovelaugh - I can't spell either. Never mind.
The lewes forum mafia - Well I probably have the most open mind of anyone you're likely to meet. Which is, I think, why I was targeted.
Please do read my previous posts where I admit I don't mind debate - I do mind the trolling, personal abuse and hounding from one topic to the next.
My Osmonds example seems to have foxed you - I was trying to point out the fact that the majority isn't always right - OK then - an awful lot of people used to think that the earth was flat, etc etc. Do you get my drift yet?
Ok. I conceed defeat. The rest of you, you are content to do what you always do and discount anyone else's opinion as just rubbish or childish - but while playing your numbers game you must be wondering why so many people seem to think that there is something wrong with this forum.
You all have an interest in the status quo as you are all members of the inner circle so don't have the same experience of it as me. I've see the lot of you make breathtakingly assinine statements and no one picks you up on it because everyone knows that the others will jump on them.
I have something more interesting to do now so good luck to you. Do set up a registration process then you can warn other people to keep out.
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 7:17pm Anonymous coward wrote:
It is possible to have a mind so open your brains drop out.
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 7:25pm Coward wrote:
Any they say that no one understands irony any more.
1
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 7:51pm Anonymous Coward wrote:
I'm welsh
1
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 7:54pm padster wrote:
Coward, your are so very right, god help me for saying some aspects of the 5th such as pope burning were in my opinion out of date and insulting to catholics. I tried to have a reasoned debate , and i felt very much like i was being shouted down, because: how dare i criticise the 5TH!! There were some nasty comments , a billy boy springs to mind, never seen him again, makes me think a regular poster needed another cloak of anonmity to be even more insulting. There was a poster called crusader , who was very insulting towards non catholics , i was accused of being him , as i said back then , I am not. I dont post here now but i wanted to let you know coward your analysis is correct and i feel the same regard for this forum. Now for the sparks to fly , some are quite sensitive to criticism on this forum you know!!!!!
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:20pm Gloria wrote:
Look Coward, I agree that there has been bullying on this forum in the past, but I think that the main perpetrator at the time was possibly, er, YOU?
2
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:23pm MC wrote:
You are tarring the wrong people with the wrong brush Coward. I'm guessing that the people you pen as regulars (or the inner circle) are the ones who use the same usernames every time they post. These are not the people who make the stupid comments. It is the pillocks who invent a new username for every post who have a go at you when you post and you cannot class these as regular users because you have no idea who they are as they hardly ever use the same username twice.

You had a pop at me because I did not defend you. Imagine if I jumped into every thread and said "you can't say that" to every rude post? Even more threads would end in acrimony and vitriol! I'm afraid you are on your own. Except you're not if you look at the last Forum thread. There are a reasonable number of people who think the same as you, including me!

I think this forum will always be a nasty place as long as any sad loser can come back from the pub and immediately post a comment that is attributable to no-one at all. Unfortunately due to the ability to change usernames whenever you like this forum gives the impression that there are a lot of people like this in Lewes.
2
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:30pm MC wrote:
And... Crusader was a troll, someone who deliberately wound people up because, in the absense of any reasonable life of his own, the sad little person got his kicks that way. 'Crusader' could easily have been one of the resident trolls that consistently demean this forum.
Either give him them good as they get (remembering that they are anonymous but if you use only one username you're not...ish), or ignore them... as the forum regulars (inner circle in your words) do. There is no general interest in the status quote I am certain.
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:34pm coward wrote:
MC - I did not say you didn't defend me. I have seen you defend your inner circle but not generally bad treatment of anyone outside of that.
If I posted under my old username I would have the same people hounding me again and it would become very old very quickly again. You've admitted that you've changed your username for the same sort of reasons.
Whether people agree with my views on the original subject or not, I still like to come back here for searches on tradespeople - very useful for me at the mo. While here I can't help but have a look around and sometimes I'm pretty disgusted by what I see.
Still - you guys are very self-satisfied. Must be nice.
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm coward wrote:
Gloria - please explain?
 
 
On 4 Aug 2011 at 8:39pm MC wrote:
Gloria probably thinks you are Emerson. And by the similarity in the way you chose to ignore the points I made in my last missive and the way that Emerson was completely blind to reason I can't blame her.

I give up now.
 
2
On 5 Aug 2011 at 8:54am I hate this wrote:
Get off the computer and get into the real world. Ditch Arsebook, ditch Twatter etc etc.....live a real life
1
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 12:26pm Teachers Pet wrote:
There's lots of good info on this Forum and also lots of tongue in cheek comments.
That's what real life is about ..........please don't get too seriously upset about anonymous postings, because that what many are and as such shouldn't be taken too literally.
'Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone.
 
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 12:32pm padster wrote:
where do you draw the line ? teachers pet? i quite agree one should not get too hung up on some things people say but there is a point where it becomes unacceptable. When this happens people should point it out and say so.
 
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 2:42pm Marge wrote:
It can be a bit disconcerting if someone who knows more than you puts you right and you feel a fool, but the other trollish comments just show the trolls up for the kind of people they are. You could pity them.
1
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 6:10pm bastian wrote:
a troll is not someone who can hold a cogent argument,it is someone who starts a thread to annoy the populous with a bold but coat trailing opening that is designed to attract comment.It is possible to debate,make mistakes and be contrite if need be,one should not take any of it personally.In fact that is why having a username is so important other wise it could spill out into the street in a town of this size.
on the subject of open minds there is a great line in a song by wire that states"I don't want my mind so open that anything can crawl in",I'll live by that,reasoned debate is how to achieve that state of mind.
 
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 6:31pm Captain Sensible wrote:
A semi-open mind then. Perhaps you could call it 'ajar'.
My favourite saying is 'many a mickle makes a mucle,' which makes just about as much sense. To me at any rate. Any one know what it means?
 
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 6:36pm Marge wrote:
Captain S - it is the same as "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves". Sound advice if you are able to follow it!
 
 
On 5 Aug 2011 at 7:07pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Just to lighten the mood,found these old English sayings.Don"t dig your grave with your own knife and fork! A empty barrel makes the most noise! Discretion in speech is more important than eloquence! Every ass likes to hear himself bray!
 
 
On 6 Aug 2011 at 9:46am Captain Sensible wrote:
Yes but then we'd have no forum at all.
 
 
On 7 Aug 2011 at 2:46pm Teachers pet wrote:
On Sat 6 Aug at: 09:46 Captain Sensible wrote:
Yes but then we'd have no forum at all.
Are you sure? Think about it!
 
 
On 11 Aug 2011 at 12:52pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
HI COWARD - your Osmonds comment didn't fox me - I was and still am a great Osmonds fan, I chose not to comment!!!! I come from a family of great debaters, I am not afraid of being disagreed with, my work entails a great deal of negotiation, etc. This forum is unpleasant, there are ways of putting your point across without getting - well what can you say - horrible - why bother - conversations are about putting your point forward, you don't always get an agrement but you don't end up falling out either, this site has an unpleasant air, Bad Vibes!!!!!!
 
 
On 11 Aug 2011 at 1:30pm Coward wrote:
The remark about the Osmonds wasn't directed at you - It was aimed at another poster who didn't seem to get the point.
I agree with you about the site a lot of the time.


5 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Brian_the_Snail_Lewes 14:132
Brian_the_Snail_Lewes

If you've been drinking, I suggest you don't go near the river! more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy