Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

The parking scheme

 
 
On 10 Feb 2005 at 12:00am Smiler wrote:
Sorry to keep banging on about this but I would just like to list some of my gripes.
- I pay my council tax / income tax for infrastructure such as roads - why should a roundabout come out of parking scheme money?
- I now pay 50 pa. to park in the same area I parked for free last year (if I'm lucky enough to find a space)
- General traffic congestion seems to be worse since the scheme was introduced rather than better
- Lewes has been divided into cells making it more difficult to visit friends on the other side of town
- I can't find anyone who thinks its a good idea - can you? I would love to hear the other side of the argument from a member of the public but I'm not convinced anyone does think it benefits them.
- Cliffe High Street is an absolute mess and the council have the audacity to say that sorting it out is one of the benefits of the money from the parking scheme qwhen the scheme was the cause of its demise.
- The roundabout that they are putting in to allow for an access road to a future development opposite Tescos should be paid for by the developers surely, not by members of the community parking outside our own homes!!
- I just can't see any good in it, please, someone tell me why it's a good thing! There must be someone who doesn't work for the council who is glad it has been imposed on us, mustn't there?
- I want to see the responses to the imminent survey on how 'everyone' in Lewes thinks it is going audited by an independent body. Or is that totally unreasonable?
 
 
On 10 Feb 2005 at 8:36am E.Z Parker wrote:
If the parking scheme was restricted to the town centre carparks, Cliffe, School Hill, High Street and Western Road, it would be perfect. It is an improvement there now because I never have trouble parking for an hour while I shop.The rest of the town should revert to the free for all it always was.
 
 
On 10 Feb 2005 at 11:47am Smiler wrote:
Did you have trouble finding space in the car parks before the scheme?
 
 
On 10 Feb 2005 at 12:56pm Brighton fan for Falmer! wrote:
The town is still congested because the lorries are still allowed to pull up on yellow lines to load and unload, as is wendy kelly flower shop! Situated just befor the bottle neck in the town causing chaos.
If they restricted loading and unloading to quiet times of the day (or even evening) it would solve the problem.
Shops will argue this is unfair on them, but whats fair about having to pay to park outside your own house, when you already pay car tax and some of the highest prices on fuel in europe!
The council won't revert back because this is a nice little earner for them. I never had a problem parking in the town before the scheme, now I'm afraid constantly that I'll get a 30 parking ticket for being a minute longer than the ticket allows, or parking on the parking bay Lines!!!!!!!
 
 
On 10 Feb 2005 at 5:37pm e.z parker wrote:
Smiler, I could never park in Lewes town centre unless I was really lucky. i remember being 10 minutes late for a dentist appointment above Monsoon when I was outside in the car 10 mins before I was due. Ended up parking near Malling. now i can park right outside, get my gnashers done and be off no problem.Brighton Fan, asking lorries to deliver at quiet times or at night would be an impossible task. They dont just deliver to lewes you know.Park properly, do what you have to and leave, simple. Free parking in town would fill the spaces with office workers who would leave their car there all day and would leave you with nowhere to park at all.Put up with it, its happened, it aint changing.
 
 
On 11 Feb 2005 at 7:41am Brighton fan for Falmer! wrote:
I find it hard to believe that "i remember being 10 minutes late for a dentist appointment above Monsoon when I was outside in the car 10 mins before I was due. Ended up parking near Malling" e.z.parker!
I too visit that dentist and as before quoted I never had a problem parking in lewes. Still I do agree with "Put up with it, its happened, it aint changing".
Not with these muppetts in charge!
 
 
On 11 Feb 2005 at 10:11am not so ez parker wrote:
i got a ticket for parking outside my house in my company car, my own fault i was only going to be 20 mins or so but anyway not argeuing that, were do i park to go and pay the ticket in the parking shop??? i bet they all lay in wait for people to do just that
 
 
On 11 Feb 2005 at 10:16pm Mr X wrote:
Clearly the scheme works, it makes money for ESCC and NCP, there are a few victims, namely the residents of Lewes, but they'll put up with it and not grumble too much. It's not like residents would make their opinion made public by not paying their Council Tax for example.
The final straw for me was, as a former Lewes / Cliffe resident, was when the head person at ESCC said quite plainly that he considered Cliffe to have no parking problems for it's residents. True if you consider that Cliffe has NO real parking for it's residents, they all have to use South Street or Morris Road's parking. I miss Lewes now, but I do not miss the parking scheme crap.
I did hear someone praise the scheme, litterally 1 person, an old OAP who didn't drive around town and Lived in the town centre. Fine for him.
 
 
On 12 Feb 2005 at 7:24pm Head person at ESCC wrote:
""litterally 1 person praises the scheme""
PAH!
Well I praise it and the traffic wardens praise it.
ESCC praise it.
NCP praise it.
So lots of people praise it.
Christ what do you people want?
 
 
On 12 Feb 2005 at 10:02pm peepee wrote:
I suppose you are also chief traffic warden judging by your posts
 
 
On 14 Feb 2005 at 3:47pm Head person at ESCC wrote:
Yes Peepoo, your very alert and the council desperately needs lerts. In an attempt to keep the Council Tax increase below 97%, not only do I have to be Head Person at ESCC but also Chief Traffic Warden. Great value for money and I never complain.
 
 
On 15 Feb 2005 at 7:34pm peepee wrote:
Bet you never got any valentines.
 
 
On 16 Feb 2005 at 9:22am eepeep wrote:
his mum must love him
 
 
On 16 Feb 2005 at 5:55pm peepee wrote:
Do people like him really have mothers?
 
 
On 16 Feb 2005 at 8:16pm Mother of Head person at ESCC wrote:
Yup poo pee...
He was such a sensitve child
 
 
On 16 Feb 2005 at 8:34pm Dougal wrote:
If you really hold the post you claim to hold then maybe you should learn to spell? Who writes all your letters?
 
 
On 3 Mar 2005 at 8:58am Monster Munch wrote:
Use your vote, find council candidates to oppose the parking scheme, get them in, back to the status quo (here we go, etc).
Although the restricted delivery times would be a good idea, some businesses might argue that they pay far more in business rates than residents do.. sometimes 10 times as much!
Alternatively, vote with your feet and just kick traffic wardens ;-)
 
 
On 3 Mar 2005 at 9:29am paex wrote:
So you advocate violence if you are stupid enough to park illegally? That will solve the parking problem won't it? The reason a controlled scheme, faulty though it may be,was introduced was to stop the people of Lewes, who seem to think the rules don't apply to them,parking where they liked when they liked. The simple facts are there are too many cars and not enough spaces and traffic needs to be controlled. Lewes folk obviously can not do it on their own therefore ESCC have gratefully decided to point them in the right direction.


19 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

So you have taken the non mRNA "gene therapy" vaccine instead then TP? I hear your concerns, but you have an existing alternative... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine