Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The curse of the recycling snail

On 16 Nov 2015 at 7:01pm Hacked off traveller wrote:
I was on the C7 this morning (about 8.30) taking my son to school and joined a queue of slow moving traffic travelling about 10 mph.
Accident? …...no
Roadworks? ...no
The cause was none other than the jolly “green” LDC recycling vehicle travelling at a snail's pace.
Yes, there is a place for an environmentally friendly customised milk float in a built up area perhaps, but certainly not during rush hour on an open road?
At one point we counted a twenty six car tailback. So would someone like to tell me how a concentration of vehicles travelling nose to tail at snail pace is environmentally friendly? Don't think so....
A friend has complained about this before and LDC's stance is that “the driver will pull over where it is safe to do so if there is heavy congestion”. Well the driver in question obviously couldn't be bothered between Newhaven and Kingston despite there being bus stops and lay-bys which have been used in the past.
Thanks pal. Obviously there's a shortage in the common sense department at your workplace.
Also thanks for making about 15 children late for school as well and delaying the start of lessons.They're were really impressed.
Your actions are also causing some drivers to “chance it” and overtake you in the daftest of places -no doubt there will be a head on accident soon and the resulting mess won't be very recyclable will it?
Message to LDC -
if you want to keep the organic flapjack munchers happy by being “green” then why not use some basic intelligence rather than shooting yourselves in the foot by causing a build up of vehicle fumes and also p*ssing people off? How about moving one of the “snails” out of rush hour times, or better still invest in dual mode vehicles as other areas have done rather than tired old milk floats? Or how about spreading your depots around a little?
On 17 Nov 2015 at 6:22am Mr Mr wrote:
I do hope you talked directly to the head of the relevant LDC department about this.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 12:06pm Another Motorist wrote:
Yep, I regularly get stuck behind the ecohippy-mobile as it grinds its painful way from Lewes to Ringmer in the morning rush hour too.
Sometimes it pulls over, sometimes it just carries on on its merry way regardless while the car drivers behind are forced to drive their vhciles at an inefficient speed, producing far more greenhouse gases then they would if they could drive at a sensible pace.
LDC - Why not delay its departure 'till say 08:30? (Or better still 09:00).
Or why not start its round much earlier, as per the regular dustcart. Acting a "speed regulator" on residential roads would be no bad thing in the morning rush hour, but acting as a mobile roadblock on the "through routes" in the rush hour is not very green at all is it?
On 17 Nov 2015 at 7:33pm Ecomentalist wrote:
bunch of sad moaners
On 17 Nov 2015 at 9:10pm Hacked off traveller wrote:
Yep it is sad when children are late for school because of something that could have been better thought out!
Also sad that LDC completely miss the "green" aspect as well by causing even more congestion!
On 18 Nov 2015 at 7:53am Long Hair wrote:
perhaps your kids could walk to school?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I thought this was going to be about snails getting in the recycling boxes.
We get loads in ours, and I think the council must recycle them, as they're always all gone after the recycling has been collected.

On 18 Nov 2015 at 7:03pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Long hair: Would you be happy with any children, yours or others, walking along the pavementless C7 to school in the mornings?
No. You would put them in your car; or another car, or a bus-even for a short distance.
On 18 Nov 2015 at 8:30pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Isn't there a shiny new cycle way connecting the C7 villages?
On 19 Nov 2015 at 11:11pm Gary wrote:
Could someone please tell me what C7 is otherwise I can't contribute as I would like to this discussion.
Kind regards,
Gary

On 20 Nov 2015 at 12:08am Hacked off traveller wrote:
It's the road from newhaven taking in the villages of Piddinghoe, southease, Rodmell, Northease, Iford, Swanborough and Kingston and then onto Lewes.

On 20 Nov 2015 at 7:35pm Gary wrote:
Thank you hacked off traveller.
Now I know what the C7 is I have realised I don't have anything to contribute here.
Kind regards,
Gary

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Elly Angel 114:132
The Elly Angel

Sweet Fanny Adams, Nev, what's it got to do with you? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine