Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The War on Terror

On 29 Nov 2015 at 4:06am Canary in the mine. wrote:
The entire war on terror is a lie and these charts prove it.We were told long ago that the “war on terror” would make the world a safer place. But after 14 years of permanent warfare, terrorist attacks around the world have escalated by a staggering 6,500%.
If it’s objective was to end terrorism, the “war on terror” has abjectly failed. Since it was launched in 2001, terror attacks – and the number of people killed by them – have sky-rocketed:

Check it out here »
On 29 Nov 2015 at 5:55am Karmic Dust. wrote:
"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. " Hermann Goering.
On 29 Nov 2015 at 6:48am Dusty Killer wrote:
"Mein Furher, our Luftwaffe will destroy the RAF and we shall be ready to invade Britain at our leisure"- Hermann Goering
On 29 Nov 2015 at 7:43am tall poppy wrote:
But,but........something must be done....otherwise l'll look indecisive!!.
Politicians love to slam the stable door really thinking you won't notice it was them thát opened it. Sadly this strategy often works for them.
On 29 Nov 2015 at 8:46am voice of reason wrote:
We won't look indecisive Tall Poppy. Rather it will show that at last we have a strong principled shadow leader who is bravely prepared to challenge the notion of this the latest ill fated military adventure that the arms dealers so successfully lobby for.
The public were overwhelmingly opposed to the second Iraq War. Back then the faux Labour party led by Tony Blair treated that opposition with complete contempt - remember the dodgy dossier and the massive anti war demonstration at that time.
The UK has no place in this current conflict which dangerously already has too many players. That we are now being asked (with strong hints of Orwell's 1984) to fight against the Syrian leader rather than on his side two years ago says much about this fast changing chimera of a war. In actual fact our contribution would be so small that it would have no noticeable military effect at all.
I don't think you can fight doctrine in this way; it only exacerbates
the problem as recent Western history has shown only too well! I also think it is crucial that other Middle Eastern countries should be involved in sorting out this terrible conflict.
Social Care in the UK is at an all time low. Our National Health Service is longer able to serve us with safety. That in this so called time of 'Austerity' we are now being asked to set out on yet another military adventure is simply breathtaking. It seems that it is far easier to respond to a sabre rattling call to war rather than to the real needs of our nation.
On 29 Nov 2015 at 9:00am tall poppy wrote:
i forgot the inverted commas to show it was meant as irony. It didn't really come across obviously.
On 29 Nov 2015 at 1:00pm Zebedee wrote:
Post of the week award goes to 'voice of reason'!
On 29 Nov 2015 at 1:52pm Karmic Dust. wrote:
Voice of reason gets my vote.Great post.
On 29 Nov 2015 at 3:25pm Woudya believe it! wrote:
Even the Daily Mail agrees with Corbyn.Strange Times we live in!

Check it out here »
On 29 Nov 2015 at 6:22pm Clifford wrote:
The 'war on terror' came along just as the 'cold war on communism' had gone way. Convenient, eh?

On 29 Nov 2015 at 9:16pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I agree with the Voice of Reason, but politics aside, I also doubt the strategic value of bombing. Did it win the Vietnam War for the USA, or break the spirit of the East End in WW2?

On 30 Nov 2015 at 1:04pm That'll be the day wrote:
that we sow the wind - when we bomb Syria.

On 30 Nov 2015 at 8:13pm george wrote:
You may be confused about why we are bombing Iraq and Syria. So we will make ourselves very clear.
We support the Iraqi government in the fight against ISIS.
We don’t like ISIS, but ISIS has been supported by Saudi Arabia, whom we do like, and Saudi Arabia is now supporting us in bombing ISIS.
We don’t like President Assad in Syria. We support the fight against him, but not ISIS, which is also fighting against him.
We don’t like Iran, but Iran supports the Iraqi government against ISIS.
So some of our friends support our enemies and some of our enemies are our friends, and some of our enemies are fighting against our other enemies whom we want to lose, but we don’t want our enemies who are fighting our enemies to win.
If the people we want to defeat are defeated, they might be replaced by people we like even less.
And all this was started by us invading Iraq to drive out terrorists who weren’t there until we went to drive them out.
We hope you now understand

On 30 Nov 2015 at 10:24pm Murky wrote:
It`s as clear as mud. Hell ,lets just bomb someone,anyone.I know let`s bomb Belgium!

On 30 Nov 2015 at 11:50pm Tipex wrote:
Excellent post George. It seems impossible to decide who the enemy is these days, but it's likely to be whoever the government are supporting.

On 1 Dec 2015 at 9:13am Splitter wrote:
Might it not have been a good idea to have left saddam in power at least he would have kept these people in check although most of you wont agree but sometimes the devil you know as these people seem to have filled the void that was left . Only a thought

On 1 Dec 2015 at 6:27pm Splutter wrote:
How very dare you suggest such things.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Through the Barbican 125:132
Through the Barbican

I would definitely suggest that Pancetta not bother to read it, the writer is not your type at all. Just vape another and float... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy