Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Good Life

On 22 Sep 2010 at 12:54pm Helenium wrote:
Anyone in Lewes into self sufficiency£ Growing your own? Getting away from the rate race?

On 22 Sep 2010 at 12:57pm Clan D Stein wrote:
Yes

On 22 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm MC wrote:
Me too. I've grown quite a lot of my own this year.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 1:46pm Clifford wrote:
For the past two centuries our ancestors struggled to escape the rural idiocy of working 18 hours a day on a diet turnips and parsnips and living in squalor. Now there are middle class people with a few quid in the bank just dying to pretend they're living 'close to the soil'.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 1:49pm Newmania wrote:
Home grown cougette salad with herbs was the taste of Summer but we are dabblers compared to some friends and neighbours.I love real food to the extent that I would get 'Reader`s Chives' down from the top shelf if it existed.
Thoughts In A Garden ( Marvell)
What wondrous life is this I lead
Ripe apples drop about my head
The luscious clusters of the vine
About my mouth do crush their wine
The nectarines and curious peach
Into my hands themselves do reach
Stumbling on melons as I pass
Ensnared with flowers I fall on grass
As we see from the Loire Valley conditions Marvell knew , considerable global cooling has taken place over the centuries .(Bit of politics )

On 22 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm Newmania wrote:
Clifford has obviously eaten a nasty sour Lemon today.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 2:02pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Marvell travelled to mediterranean climes and with his reputation as a 'metaphysical' poet I would guess he's drawing on memory, imagination and experience of distant climes when writing this. No proof of global cooling there, then.
Were wines being produced in southern england during his time ?

On 22 Sep 2010 at 2:12pm jrsussex wrote:
Hear Hear Clifford. My wife and I eat mostly fresh products but we purchase them from the local friut and veg man, the fishmonger, the baker and so on. Isn't really that expensive, certainly less than many frozen and prepared products, and far tastier. Does involve a little preparation but well worth it. Have never seen the point in growing your own on a small scale, really doesn't cut costs and not worth the effort in my opinion.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 2:14pm Newmania wrote:
So the first line should read "What wondrous life is this I would lead if I lived in the Mediterranean region"......sigh.... if you like Brixton Belle, I am to lost in thoughts of food music love and sunshine to be argumentative.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 2:17pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
So don't add the 'bit of politics' at the bottom if you don;t want to have a 'debate', Newmania.
Enjoy the sunshine and your globally cooled melons

On 22 Sep 2010 at 3:40pm Helenium wrote:
I'm genuinely shocked at Clifford and jrsussex responses. I can only assume you are idle b*ggers who can't be @rsed. Once you have tasted home grown veg you would appreciate how much fresher and tastier they are than those from the likes of Bill etc...and even on a small scale it saves you ££££££ss.
It doesn't take a lot of effort to plant a few spuds, runner beans, toms etc and it is very good for mental and physical well being. I am not 'middle class', whatever that it, but an ordinary women living in a very ordinary house. My toms travelled about 40ft to my dinner plate and yours no doubt came from Spain...

On 22 Sep 2010 at 4:03pm Clan D Stein wrote:
I grew my own for the first time this year and found it a thoroughly enjoyable activity as well as the fact that the veg tasted so much nicer than from the shops. I also have the advantage of knowing what has gone on the veg. Everyone should try it!

On 22 Sep 2010 at 4:22pm Clifford wrote:
Helenium - I can't speak for JRS but, yes, I like to concentrate on things that I am proficient at and leave others who are far more expert than I am to grow my food. It's a division of labour that seems to serve society well.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 4:33pm jrsussex wrote:
If you cannot source good fresh products locally then I'm afraid you are using the wrong shops, be they high street or farm shops. The cost argument, as far as I am aware, is lost I'm afraid as I do most of the shopping in my house so I am very aware of what fresh products cost, they are not expensive. If you want to believe that home grown veg tastes better than that from the smaller retailers then that is OK by me, but I don't believe it. Plus of course my way assist the small businesses in the High Street.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 4:37pm Clan D Stein wrote:
Pompous ass!

On 22 Sep 2010 at 5:11pm Egon Ronay wrote:
JR, yes, vegetables straight from your garden do generally taste better than those you buy in the shops - probably because they are so fresh. If you had ever bothered to try it then you would know. Also, to say that fresh produce is cheap in the shops, so there is no cost argument is simply daft. Of course growing your own is cheaper. For the cost of one week's veg shopping you can buy all the seeds and plants you need to keep you in veg for months. Surely someone as intelligent as you can see that ?

On 22 Sep 2010 at 5:12pm jrsussex wrote:
Caln D Stein - Fully understand, any person that disagrees with your view is a "pompous ass". As someone from an East End of London working class background I thought I'd look that up. Self-important, affectedly grand, pretentious; unduly grand in style, erm, my old dad might be proud of his son in giving that impression. He used to think that pompous was a middle class problem, you've moved me up the ranks.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 5:19pm jrsussex wrote:
Egon Ronay - You have labelled me as intelligent hot on the heels of Cain D Stein lifting me to the status of middle class. This will take some getting used to but I will try and live up to it.
You are right of course about the cost of seeds but that is not all there is to it, months of tending to them before the blighters can be eaten and enjoyed.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 6:02pm Newmania wrote:
I `m the Pompous Ass around here JR Sussex and don`t you forget it , . I had you down as an old Sussex hand who could tell if it was going to rain by his bunions aching or something funnily enough.
You are being a bit of a misery though .We London refugees probably take an absurd pleasure in our beans and tomatos but eating is just about taste, its the way you feel about it as well, the sense of things ripening , showing the kids where stuff comes from , that sort of thing .

If they taste better to me, they taste better

On 22 Sep 2010 at 6:06pm Clifford wrote:
On no Newmania, there aren't little Newmanias as well are there?

On 22 Sep 2010 at 7:01pm jrsussex wrote:
Wonderful thread, we have the humour going again.

On 22 Sep 2010 at 7:44pm sashimi wrote:
Now look here, I come from East End aristocracy and we don't take kindly to parvenus from Sussex making pretentious claims to a Cockney working class background

On 22 Sep 2010 at 8:15pm jrsussex wrote:
Sashimi - How dare you refer to me as an upstart!!!

On 22 Sep 2010 at 8:36pm Matt Kent wrote:
All this banter in the name of locally grown vegetables. Brilliant! :|

On 22 Sep 2010 at 10:31pm stan wrote:
Good banter indeed. People who like gardening and allotmenting are often evangelical about it. Thats fine by me, I like eating their produce but would rather go for a walk than spend time digging. It is certainly true that some people seem to want a blue peter badge or something because they have grown their own veg. When comparing value and price of homegrown with shop bought
you have to factor in the time you spend on it. Is it a good return on your labour? If you enjoy it then yes it is. I would prefer to do something a bit more exciting while I can.

On 23 Sep 2010 at 8:20am Helenium wrote:
Very little digging is involved if you know what you are doing...a few small raised beds and you can have enough veg for one family for many months
I bought a packet of reduced melon seeds for 10p, put some in a largish pot (50p from bootsale) of garden soil and kept it in my conservatory....result = 3 lovely melons from 1 plant = no effort at all....plenty of time for me to go walking as well..

On 23 Sep 2010 at 9:10am Brixtonbelle wrote:
@Newmania - you made me laugh and for once I agree with you - it's great to watch things grow and tend and good for the sprogs too !
@helenium - wish I had a conservatory to grow melons in.

On 23 Sep 2010 at 9:43am Grunge wrote:
@ anyone. What should I do about my three pepper plants which I have nurtured indoors from seedlings. They show no signs of producing peppers. Should I pinch out the tops or do anything else drastic? They are about 16" high now.

On 23 Sep 2010 at 10:08am Helenium wrote:
Some tomato feed (or even better some homemade nettle or comfrey fertilizer), sunny windowsill....it is a little late to expect peppers now though...did they flower£ when did you sow the seed?

On 23 Sep 2010 at 12:47pm FieldFairy wrote:
Helenium, I best you wished you hadn't asked. What tw@ts some of these people are. Good luck to you.....

On 23 Sep 2010 at 12:55pm Clan D Stein wrote:
JRSussex i take it back, your not a pompous ass, your a bloody idiot! Grow up! (intended gardening pun)

On 23 Sep 2010 at 2:35pm Helenium wrote:
Thanks FieldFairy...good to know there are some sensible sane folks out there!

On 27 Sep 2010 at 8:17pm Peter Byron wrote:
It is my penchant for planting seeds that has got me into the mess I am in, kids, who would have them? Mind you, son is a good laugh at times I guess, rather like his old Pa, a fool but a nice fool ha ha. Best, Peter

4 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Anne of Cleves House 3:132
Anne of Cleves House

"the good people of Lewes need to do something about this. Has anybody got any ideas? We need to take action!" - Blimey, it's the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy