Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Terrible smell in Cliffe

On 2 Jul 2014 at 9:14pm Henry wrote:
What is that smell in Cliffe tonight, it smell like creosote or tar and seems to be everywhere.
Where is it coming from?

On 2 Jul 2014 at 10:12pm Gas man wrote:
Having done re mediation work before the smell is cos they digging at old gas works contaminated ground
On 3 Jul 2014 at 10:02am Csbs wrote:
Need you ask !

On 3 Jul 2014 at 12:45pm Ben Zeen wrote:
It's Benzene and Naptha from the tar they're digging up both are carcinogenic and judging by the horrendous smell last night the levels must be quite considerable.
This is similar to chemicals released by fracking that are causing problems in The States.

Riverdale Developments have assured local residents that levels are not dangerous though and they are constantly monitoring the levels in conjunction with Environmental Health.

It's still bloody smelly though.

Check it out here »

On 3 Jul 2014 at 2:45pm Lasting legacy wrote:
Ben - Good to see you're not trying to turn anyone against Fracking by scaring them ;-).
Yep, pretty unpleasent chemicals were an accepted by-product of town gas production, as no-one knew how dangerous they were, and in those unenlightened days all sorts of "nasties" were left behind when an industrial site closed down and/or moved on. The O2 (formerly Millenium Dome) was built on the site of the old Greenwich Gasworks, and they had to do a major "clean up" operation before they could re-develop that site.
Nowadays we'd see such industries/sites being forced to control their emissions, and ensuring that such nasties didn't routinely escape into the environment/soil during the operation of the site - Fracking sites would be subject to far tighter "environmental" controls than "Town Gas" production ever was, but every form of energy production (or capture)thing has a "cost".
Fracking involves use of chemicals, and will use (and potentially risks contaminating) huge quantities of water. Solar energy will consume huge quantities of rare metals and other resources to produce and build the acres of voltaic panels needed (resources that are often mined/extracted elsewere "out of sight, out of mind"), wind power means building thousands of wind turbines, each consuming huge quantities of steel, and/or GRP (GRP relies on the oil/petroleum industry for many of the chemicals used the resins and fibres used to produce it). Nuclear energy leaves lots of radioactive rubbish behind...
So, like it or not, there is no truly "clean" source of energy, all leave an indelible footprint somewhere on the planet's natural resources at some stage.
In the case of town gas, the footprint left behind is often rather smelly...

On 3 Jul 2014 at 2:53pm Kipp`s Apparatus wrote:
FFS .Lewes used to pong from the cement works - and blow the dust across the 2 schools in Mountfield road . There used to be an ironworks chucking out all sorts into the air . Now it`s all cafes Pilates and frigging whinging middle class twits. Thank god I never lived in the place ( tho` I did squat for a while in the 70`s and I worked , not drew the dole )
On 3 Jul 2014 at 3:31pm David wrote:
And this is what the old gasworks looked like

Check it out here »

On 3 Jul 2014 at 3:45pm Tda wrote:
As Ali G used to say...
"West side"
On 3 Jul 2014 at 4:38pm DJ wrote:
Thank goodness, I thought it was Deelite 2's rubbish strewn about!!
On 3 Jul 2014 at 8:35pm Tory Voice wrote:
Re fracking which obviously is the future for this country the process cannot be completely safe no energy production is(does anyone seriously doubt that nuclear power generation has caused hundreds of cancers both in this country and abroad over the years?) but when we way up the possible deaths it may cause, it has to be weighed against the massive benefits to investors and industry.No omlettes are made without breaking a few rather insignificant eggs who if it can be proved which will be a rather difficult process, can be compensated.Lets get fracking!
On 3 Jul 2014 at 11:24pm Zzz.. wrote:
DJ. Who is Deelite and what is your problem with him/her?

On 4 Jul 2014 at 8:20am DJ wrote:
Zzz... No problem, I was just being sarcastic. See thread about wheelie bins for all.

On 4 Jul 2014 at 9:56am Mr Spoonz wrote:
Yeah fracking is great, I can't wait for chemicals to be pumped into our underground drinking water reservoirs so that we have to drink bottled water forever. Bloody Tories have no respect for nature or human rights of which drinking water is one of the most vital!

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

And there was me, thinking it was some new low-impact exercise regime. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine
Brighton Jobs