Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

TV Film

On 14 Sep 2010 at 9:36am jrsussex wrote:
Film Buff - One for you. Did you happened to see "The Great Raid" on TV last night? A really great film based on a actual incident, the largest rescue ever carried out by American Forces. A Japenses POW camp holding over 500 American prisoners of war that were successfuly rescused while hostilities were still going on, January 1945.
Directed by John Dahl I had heard of ut but never seen the film. None of the usual American bulls*** that is very often a trademark of their war dramas, Quality acting backed up with great camera work. If you missed it suggest you keep an eye out for it.

On 14 Sep 2010 at 12:18pm Newmania wrote:
I think we are living through a golden age of children`s films and a dark age of adult fare. Toy Story Three (which has a magnificent pastiche of every heist and escape you have ever seen...."The monkey , he controls everything" ....) is not just a good film, it is one of the best films of any kind I have seen.
Thematically complex , funny , touching witty and bursting with fresh ideas it makes a stark contrast to the latest weary Rom Com or Actioner.
Incidentally whilst I was slagging off British drama the other day, and following the above ) it occurred to me that Tenko was a notable exception. If you watch the first series from civilised life in Singapore to the struggle to remain human in the camps, it is more than the sum of its parts .I recommend the DVD set

On 15 Sep 2010 at 8:05am Film Buff. wrote:
JRSussex.I looked through Mondays listings and I couldn't see that film anywhere...Which channel was it on? Perhaps it is on a catch up player somewhere.
On the subject of catch ups,the new BBC Player sucks.
I can't find what I want anymore.Why change it? It was the best of all of them and someone decided to completely muck it up.
Anyone agree?

On 15 Sep 2010 at 6:32pm jrsussex wrote:
BBC 1 at 11.35pm Monday 13th. Exceptionally good, look out for it. If it is on again I shall watch because I started watching it without fully appreciating what a powerful story was about to unfold. added to by it being a true story. As I said in the first post, the most astonishing thing about ti was the complete lack of the usual American war film bulls***.

On 16 Sep 2010 at 10:07pm Peter B and Ex Boon wrote:
My Fave, The Big Lebowski, great brothers made this film and others, enjoy. Peter

On 16 Sep 2010 at 11:03pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I watched Brigadoon this afternoon. Had never realised before how much Kevin Spacey looked like Gene Kelly. And apart from the great dancing patnership of Kelly and Cyd Charise, it was a terrible pastiche of the great musicals of the era. Not even 'so bad, it was good'. Just woeful. I was terribly disappointed because I loved that film as a kid.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Penny 119:132
The Lewes Penny

How come the "Last Post" doesn't show up on the forum page? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa