Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Street lights

On 25 Jan 2015 at 7:32pm Bored with it now...... wrote:
We have had no street lights for 3 weeks now in Churchill Road, contacted the council when they went off and was told it would be sorted within 10 working day, what a load of bo##%#ks! Apart from anything else it is dangerous, pitch black out there without them. I believe there are other streets with the same problem, has anyone else reported it?
On 25 Jan 2015 at 9:15pm Zebedee wrote:
Its pitch black in Barcombe every night..... and we love it.
On 25 Jan 2015 at 9:44pm Mavis wrote:
I totally agree with you "bored with it now" The council need to cut expenses not services !! The governments withdrawal of funds is not managed as they intended. It's pre War !!
On 26 Jan 2015 at 10:11am wanderer wrote:
report it via fix my street
you can pin point the locations or just call the street lighting team directly or via your local MP as you feel unsafe walking the streets
try the link enclosed you can also follow the replies

Check it out here »

On 26 Jan 2015 at 5:30pm Bored with it now..... wrote:
Thanks Wanderer, I did contact Fix my street 3 weeks ago, just used your link to see if there were any updates and they posted today to say that they hoped to have it fixed in the next 3 weeks, not good.
We love that you live in Barcombe Zebedee.
On 26 Jan 2015 at 8:12pm fifi wrote:
I reported the fault a week ago . The Highways Dept said the fault needs to be repaired by Colas and may be a major undertaking involving digging up roads . I seem to rememember exactly the same fault involving all the same lights occuring a year or two ago as I reported it then too ?
On 26 Jan 2015 at 11:49pm plumberinlewes wrote:
what is wrong with it being dark at night, it is night and it should be DARK.
I wish they would stop street lighting and then we could actually SEE the Milky Way! Just turn the lights out, we will drive more slowly, walk more carefully and enjoy the sight of a new star as opposed to a the dim of a street light going out.
Turn off the street lamps; we have headlamps on are cars. We may have to go slower - but is that a bad thing?
On 27 Jan 2015 at 12:38am Mavis wrote:
I work shifts and I can't walk home by the Milky Way !!

On 27 Jan 2015 at 12:17pm ar10642 wrote:
"what is wrong with it being dark at night, it is night and it should be DARK"
Problem is at this time of year 5pm = night. When people are trying to get home from work. Pedestrians are less visible at night and whilst people *should* slow down they sometimes don't. Turning them off at midnight when nobody is about is fair enough but if a street is deemed busy/populated enough to need them then they should work.
Yes, small villages don't have them and the people there like it but there are less people about and most of them are driving anyway. That's not the case in towns, especially as early as 5pm.
On 27 Jan 2015 at 11:14pm plumberinlewes wrote:
Mavis, if your employers are willing to pay the electric bill and get the O.K. to send light into all the homes on the way home; the O.K. Else, Bring a torch.
ar10642 - If have a good argument, back it. I have seen studies (EVERY SINGLE ONE) that shows drivers slow down when the city lights are turned off. They are USA based, but that is the only studies I have seen; if you have any counter arguments I would love to see them.
Also, I bet pedestrians are more careful in the dark; and they may learn to wear something brighter. I know that I remove an earphone when crossing streets.
Just get rid of all of the street lights. They are a big expense and lead us into a false sense of security.
And prevent future astronomers from seeing a true night sky.
Let night be night!

On 27 Jan 2015 at 11:41pm lewes wrote:
With all the pot holes and missing cobbles/cobbles and uneven paving here in lewes we do actually need proper street lighting. It's a necessity I'm afraid. I don't really need to see particular stars just the way safely to my front door. Sadly I can't hold a torch, my bags and the baby in a car seat all at the same time. So let's just get some suitable street lighting for use in the depths of winter, it's just common sense. I do feel sorry for the star gazers and the additional electricity required but I would rather not have an accident.

On 28 Jan 2015 at 8:13am ar10642 wrote:
OK, see link to UK based site linking to numerous other studies to show that lighting reduces road accidents.
Like I said, turning them off at actual night time, when most people are sleeping, makes more sense. Not having them in villages with tiny populations, no pavements and nowhere to walk from or to anyway, fine. Turning off ALL street lights in busy towns and cities at 5PM in the winter is a stupid idea for anyone who isn't driving. Although I suspect the torch and battery industries would be all for it, as would sellers of bright yellow clothing (that everyone would have to to wear, every day, for 6 months of the year).

Check it out here »
On 28 Jan 2015 at 11:31am guido wrote:
Don't see what the problem is. I also am a shift worker. Over I Malling lights are turned off over night until 6am. I walk to the train station at 5am and in the winter with no street lighting switched on in many areas on route it is very dark. But not an issue
On 28 Jan 2015 at 12:15pm ar10642 wrote:
Far fewer cars and people about at 5AM than 5PM. The suggestion was no street lights, anywhere, ever. I don't think that is a good idea.

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes antiquities 89 55:143
Lewes antiquities 89

Examining the activity of the sun and assessing its influence on the earth's climate may well provide entertainment to some Tom... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine