Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Strange lights on Malling Downs...

On 10 Mar 2011 at 2:03pm Daina Kotesh wrote:
His anyone else noticed the curious light activity on the hills overlooking malling?
What I saw can only be described as a amber coloured 'star', slowly fading up and down It was quite beautiful.
I first saw it on Feb 20th and thought nothing of it. However, I saw it again on Mar 2nd whilst walking my dog at around 18:30.
The light was clearly visible from Mayhew Way and I imagine the rest of Malling...
I was just wondering if anyone had an explanation?
Cheers

On 10 Mar 2011 at 2:05pm Dave wrote:
It's the light on the top of the first Glyndeboure wind turbine, there will be quite a few of the by the end of the year

On 10 Mar 2011 at 2:21pm KOSH wrote:
I saw a similar light to the one described, although this was on the coombe. I saw it from the ESSO garage It seemed to come from half way up the hill althought distance was hard to gauge. It was as you say 'star shaped' and slowly faded up and down, I counted three times. Cant remember exact date, though could have been the 2nd. Most perculiar!

On 10 Mar 2011 at 4:12pm bastian wrote:
ALIENS..at last my mother ship has come back for me.
On 10 Mar 2011 at 4:32pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Would you like a cup of tea?

On 10 Mar 2011 at 8:10pm catlin wrote:
A cistomer from lling came in this morning and said that one of his neighbours had said something about it. He said he would look for it tonight

On 10 Mar 2011 at 8:43pm DannyG wrote:
Saw several lights on the downs over the years. Along with flashes of what looked like lightning. Only there was no storm. Often over caburn way.

On 10 Mar 2011 at 10:30pm catlin wrote:
Bad spelling day, sorry. Must learn to check before I send. Should have started "a customer from Malling."

On 10 Mar 2011 at 11:17pm paisley wrote:
Ever since I was a kid I have also seen flashes of light coming from the Downs . We used to call it "The Ringmer Flash". It became something of a folklore for the people I grew up with in the village.

On 11 Mar 2011 at 12:36am Parking Info wrote:
Aliens? or just the headlights of the jeep that drives off-road over and down the field on the left side of the coombe.

On 11 Mar 2011 at 3:10am keentoguess wrote:
I love a good Limerick Mr C - I know he was appalling, but don't know how the rest of it goes - enlighten us

On 11 Mar 2011 at 8:13am stevied wrote:
Hey, I remember seeing the flashes of light coming from Malling Hiil from my bedroom window when I was a kid back in the seventies! Never did work it out...
Will watch out for the amber star tonight!

On 11 Mar 2011 at 8:35am Numberjack wrote:
Have seen lights up there a few times, always assumed it was people shooting rabbits?

On 11 Mar 2011 at 11:11am Rods Tiger wrote:
Two different things here, I think. The amber light is new, I haven't seen it but will look out tonight.
The lightning like flasing over caburn is what we called, as kids, 'train flash'. It's the electrical spark from trains as they disconnect and connect when they go over Bedingham level crossing, in the right conditions it causes quite a big flash.

On 11 Mar 2011 at 3:54pm pope wrote:
The lord works in mysterious ways.

On 11 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm Catlin wrote:
Fine, Rods Tiger, but the level crossing at Beddingham doesn't exist anymore.

On 11 Mar 2011 at 10:01pm KOSH wrote:
No amber star as of yet this eve... I have my camera at the ready.

On 13 Mar 2011 at 5:53pm Rods Tiger wrote:
Good point Catlin, and well made. I am left mystified. . . . . . .unless they didn't bother to re-lay the third rail and there is still a gap to cause the sparks. Is anyone able to confirm or refute this or do I have to hike over there to take a look ?

On 18 Mar 2011 at 12:58pm A wrote:
Looks like quite a few people are seeing these lights, there's a snippet at Viva Lewes:

Check it out here »

On 22 Mar 2011 at 4:28pm lady feelion wrote:
Take a look at this

Check it out here »

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:143
Impending Sheep

If you can provide statistical evidence that crime has never been so high then blame austerity and write to Maria. Having a pop... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo