Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Stealing Part 2

1
 
On 11 Jul 2012 at 9:34am Taxpayer wrote:
Capatalist wrote: funnily enough tesco aim is to make profit, regardless of the moral questions implied... How can you possible argue a case for stealing from tesco? Would love to hear it!'

You've answered your own question Capatalist, although you probably don't realise. You say profit has to be made regardless of morality. That's the thief's view of the world.
5
 
On 11 Jul 2012 at 11:55am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Not making the case for shoplifting, but I would argue that stealing from Tesco is less objectionable than avoiding taxes.
Nicking from Tesco only harms their shareholders, whereas avoiding taxes harms all the public services on which a civilised society depends. I agree it has the effect of putting up prices, but no-one is forced to pay those prices, especially now we have Aldi.
1
 
On 11 Jul 2012 at 12:48pm Taxpayer wrote:
Exactly Annette Curtin-Twtcher. It's called redressing the balance.
2
 
On 11 Jul 2012 at 12:49pm Taff wrote:
I would assume that there is an expected theft percentage added to their sale prices anyway. So if no one stole from them they would make even more profit!
2
2
On 11 Jul 2012 at 11:58pm Walter wrote:
Retail theft or corporate theft. In my opinion theft in whatever form, by individuals or corporates is scumbag material. I also don't care if it's from Tesco, by Tesco or from the corner shop. The companies that steal seem to have an arrogance that they believe excludes them from guilt. A bit like the selfish individual who steals from a shop thinking it's his given right to help himself to the displayed goods on offer. Arses all of them.
1
 
On 12 Jul 2012 at 12:54am expat two wrote:
True Walter, but one of those parties is on the receiving end of the law's (and the media's) wrath, whilst the other is tolerated if not outrightly celebrated. This will always be the way under totalitarian capitalism - theft as a political act is different from greed-theft.
How do you feel about those Italian cops who were called to a shoplifting offence, found an unemployed couple lifting nappies and baby formula, and paid for the goods themselves? Are they just encouraging 'arses'?

 
 
On 12 Jul 2012 at 6:06am Teacher wrote:
I stole a kiss, I stole a glance, I nicked my finger, I pinched myself, I took a look. Are these all crimes. God this weed tastes good.
1
 
On 12 Jul 2012 at 8:54am Spartacus wrote:
ATC - would that it did only harm the shareholders... but I suspect that they will be the last to pick up the bill. The cost for any expenses incurred by shop lifting would be passed directly to Tesco's customers in full. And to be fair even if, through some corporate incompetence on Tesco's part it did..who are the share holders? Fat cats smoking fat cigars in their Surrey mansions? nah,its us again, through our pension funds, investments and saving accounts.
Either way its the little people that carry the cost, no such thing as a victimless crime.
 
 
On 12 Jul 2012 at 11:36am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
No-one is forced to shop in Tesco's, Spartacus!
I wonder if there's less shoplifting in Aldi's or Waitrose?
 
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 12:54am walter wrote:
Expat 2, it does obviously pull at the heart strings, and a good deed done in. I hadn't heard the story, guessing they were on the bones of their bums, of which there are sadly too many in the same or worse situation world wide, but surely the line has to be drawn somewhere, to teach basic right from wrong. There have to be social rules and I don't really understand the politics, but from my heart you can't say 'do it' for one reason, and not another. As for corporates, I truly believe they should be treated as criminals.
 
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 2:40am expat two wrote:
So do I, but they never will be.
Here's another from the world of right vs wrong - if your kid is being bullied at school, and the teachers won't do anything about it, do you tell your kids to just put up with being bullied? You can't tell them to stick up for themselves and fight back because fighting is wrong, isn't it?
What about abducting people and holding them against their will? Its obviously anti-social behaviour, but to do it to a violent criminal is different to doing it to a 6 year old girl. There are many instances when you can say 'do it' for one reason, and not another.
In the case of stealing from Tesco though, the only reason to not do it is because the law says not to.
 
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 2:53am expat two wrote:
Spartacus - according to your model, if shoplifters (or political activists!) continued to target Tesco then their prices would continue to rise until they were more expensive than Waitrose. But at that point, they'd lose their customers to Waitrose's better service/quality. There'd be a collapse in their share value and, as well as the pension funds you mention, there would be a lot of very unhappy fat cats smoking fat cigars in Surrey.
Besides which, what you're suggesting is that we all tolerate their tax avoidance so our pensions are maximised? If those profits end up in our pensions, someone will be pulling a cut out of it.
I'm sorry mate, but the maths just don't add up.
 
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 8:03am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Expat, I think you should move back to the UK. Your country needs people like you!
1
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 9:00am Spartacus wrote:
Expat & ACT - All shops have a shoplifting problem, its not exclusive to Tescos and all shops factor that "loss" in as part of their operating expenses, which they pass on to the customers... us. And should it impact on the bottom line in any serious way they would do something about it before passing that loss on to their shareholders... which again is largely us. Either way its us that losses out like it or not.
I never remotely suggested we should tolerate their tax avoidance, where did that come from? Their tax avoidance means that we have to pay higher tax else where, so again its us that looses out.
Sadly, there is no such thing as a victimless crime. Shoplifting, insurance fraud, tax evasion/avoidance (if you feel avoidance is a crime) always ends up getting paid for by someone and that someone is... wait for it... us.
 
 
On 13 Jul 2012 at 11:15am Clifford wrote:
It always mystifies me when people say the profits of places like Tesco end up in 'our' pensions. I thought only the public sector had pensions these days, and they'll be going soon.


22 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

What will channel 4 news be without him and his colourful ties? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell