Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Squatters in Lewes

On 2 Jul 2011 at 1:27pm Crash Override wrote:
Was walking home late last night and heard a heck of a lot of noise coming from a boarded up building where the High Street joins the prison crossroads (sign on the door said St Pancras Social Club or something to that effect). Looked pretty grim, anyone know what's going on?
On 2 Jul 2011 at 3:11pm Clifford wrote:
What do you mean 'pretty grim'? The building or the fact that it might be squatted? Can you think of a better use for a building left empty than to squat it?

On 4 Jul 2011 at 10:20am WilliamDyer wrote:
@clifford - yes. left empty.
I would be happy for a change in the law that would allow citizens to petition the property owner of a vacant building to put it to some use, or for there to be some financial disincentive for purposefully leaving a building empty. As far as I can tell, squatting is motivated principally by the wish to live somewhere without paying rent.

On 4 Jul 2011 at 11:31am stick cutter wrote:
There is a lot more then that reason for squatting . Have a chat with them and find out why they are there . It might give you a more ballanced view . They are a nice lot , all with different reasons for squatting and seem to get on with the residents in the area . Lewes allways had squats and growing up here it seems perfectly normal to me .

On 4 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm Clifford wrote:
WilliamDyer wrote: 'As far as I can tell, squatting is motivated principally by the wish to live somewhere without paying rent.'

Really? I was involved in the squatting campaign in East London in the late 1960s. It was "motivated principally' by the fact that homeless families were put by the council in expensive B&B while there were streets full of perfectly decent compulsorily purchased houses lying empty because the council found it couldn't afford to build a new development. I think you'll find a lot of squatting was based on the need for a home.

On 4 Jul 2011 at 12:51pm Zero Cool wrote:
Clifford - I'm afraid if you think about it, all squatting is based on the need for a home. There are not many rational people who would do so for kicks.
My grandfather was involved in the squatting movement following WWII, where old factories, RAF bases and similar were taken over by those in need. Even though 45,000 joined in, Nye Bevan (housing minister at the time) called it 'organised lawlessness', which unfortunately is exactly what it is.

On 4 Jul 2011 at 1:01pm Clifford wrote:
Zero Col - and wouldn't you call an advanced and wealth society in which people are homeless 'organised lawlessness'?

On 4 Jul 2011 at 1:34pm Hedley Lamarr wrote:
I have it on good authority (my daughter), that the squatters in Cannon O'Donnel are mostly from good middle class homes in Lewes who are having a bit of fun. If the council had been a bit less stringent in their planning polices we would have had quite a few much needed new flats on the site.

On 4 Jul 2011 at 1:44pm WilliamDyer wrote:
Some photos on the attached link.
@Clifford - I'll admit that I haven't spoken to these squatters, but have spoken to squatters past and present. Many reasons were given for squatting, some ideological, some practical, some financial. Common thread: financial.
Of course everyone needs a home/roof over their heads. If the market is such that supply exceeds demand, and that supply is artificially restricted (vacant property), then I would agree that steps being taken to remove that restriction (see previous post).
One thing you might be able to clarify for me. If a squatter is injured on a property that is in a state of disrepair, as a result of that disrepair (eg: faulty wiring, falling masonry), who is liable?

Check it out here »

On 4 Jul 2011 at 3:46pm Clifford wrote:
Glad you (almost) agree WilliamDyer that it is legitimate for homeless people to make use of property purposely left empty. It's funny that when workers go on strike they're accused of 'holding the country to ransom', but when landlords leave their properties empty that's just the natural working of the market.

On 5 Jul 2011 at 12:19am squatters dad wrote:
@ Hedley Lamarr - Do I know your daughter ? How does she know me ? Why do you give second hand information out , have you none of your own . Come on , you are bieng challenged by a parent of a squatter that you commented on .

On 5 Jul 2011 at 9:11am Hedley Lamarr wrote:
SD - not sure I understand what you are so worked up about. Is my information incorrect? Is your son/duaghter actually homeless? Was I rude about your son/daughter? No - just a comment on what I had heard. I have no view, positive or negative on this squat. End of story.
On 5 Jul 2011 at 5:55pm squatters dad wrote:
I wish to carry on with my private life and not find my family have been brought into a debate for all to read . You mention families and I would like it to stop there before it goes any further . I would do the same to any organisation that wrote something about my family . End of story

On 8 Jul 2011 at 3:52pm pinkie wrote:
lol get a life you sad old git

On 13 Jul 2011 at 3:50pm squatthelot wrote:
"la propriété, c'est le vol !" - Proudhon
Property is exploitation of the weak by the strong.
Squatting relieves pressure from our over-burdened social welfare system. Remember, many squatters would otherwise be claiming housing benefits.
We have over 1,000,000 empty homes in the UK, and it is estimated that there are around 300,000 homeless. Sounds like a moral catastrophy to me.
Squatting effectively taxes the rich and landed. The cost of evicting squatters should act as a deterrent to property owners for leaving buildings vacant. There is no excuse to the despicable practice of absentee landlordism. There is a desperate need to social centres, art space, storage and homes meanwhile we have speculators sitting on buildings for a quick buck.
Occupy everything and take control of your communities. We don't need more expensive flats, we need a practical solution to dealing with our housing crisis in the south. In the current situation, squatting is one such solution.

On 4 Aug 2011 at 10:18am NOTFROMLEWESORSUSSEX wrote:
here here squatthelot!!

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Spires 80:132
Lewes Spires

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell