Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Speeding tickets

On 15 Jan 2016 at 3:18pm Ali wrote:
While we're on the serious subject of speeding I have to own up to just being done for speeding (Brighton seafront is 30mph - I was doing 34). I've been offered the choice of paying the fine and receiving points or paying for a course and avoiding points. The course costs 88 and takes is quite lengthy I think but on the other hand the points could affect my insurance. Any sensible advice from anyone? Thanks.
On 15 Jan 2016 at 3:38pm Je suis Lewes wrote:
I did the course and it was actually very interesting (changed my speeding habits too)
On 15 Jan 2016 at 3:48pm Just Me wrote:
I would do the course. How much is the fine? Would you have to declare that you have been on the course?
If you dont have to declare to your insurance then doing the course will be far cheaper as the point stay on your license for (i think) 5 years?
My sister did the course and found it interesting. My fave line she was taught was "remember its a limit not a target"
On 15 Jan 2016 at 4:01pm Jeff wrote:
I did the course at the race course in Brighton, possibly the most boring 5 hours of my life. Slightly better than paying more insurance though and your license gets wiped.
It hasn't changed the way I drive one bit though.
On 15 Jan 2016 at 4:09pm jester wrote:
Yea sure - don't speed!
On 15 Jan 2016 at 6:59pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
When someone's fined for doing a mere four miles an hour over the speed limit - something that's very easy to do in a traffic flow - it feels more like a stealth tax than a safety measure. I didn't bother doing the course and put up with having three points, which expired after three years. I didn't have any problems as a result, but if you get clicked again, then it starts to get tricky. Everyone I know who has done the course says it's fine, so I'd consider it another time.
On 15 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm Guido wrote:
The course is awful... Concentrates on road rage and attitudes rather than speeding. On the other hand it was better than taking the 3 points and 100 fine.
On 15 Jan 2016 at 7:46pm Fairmeadow wrote:
I did the course at County Hall. Quite interesting and full of nice people. I probably drive better as a result. Far from my worst Saturday morning.
Got caught in Pembrokeshire, and the disappointment of the traffic policeman when I said I wanted to do it in Sussex was palpable. Nice little earner for them.
On 15 Jan 2016 at 8:14pm Driver wrote:
The speed limit is a MAXIMUM. I know it is frustrating in a modern vehicle to keep to 30 (say) when driving down Malling Street, or through the tunnel; especially with a cowboy trucker up your chuff: but for most strrets around town 20-25 is a natural speed anyway.
Try driving in Brighton in one of the 20 zones; at the limit. You will soon have a wonderful empty road ahead!
On 15 Jan 2016 at 8:51pm Mary wrote:
The difference between 30mph and 35mph crashes and resulting fatalities makes for sober reading.
Agree with Driver. The local police need to take action about speeding lorries. They treat our town like a rat-run.

Check it out here »
On 15 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I'm fully behind any effort to stop dangerous driving, but using cameras to penalise people straying a few miles over the limit is the easy option. What about lorry drivers who negotiate roundabouts with one hand on the wheel and a phone in the other, or people who change two lanes in one go, or idiots who overtake without checking if they have clearance. Also, stopping distance is almost as important as speed. Cameras should be tracking these things as well.

On 16 Jan 2016 at 12:30pm Rookie wrote:
A couple of years ago I got caught by the Bevendean camera doing 34mph. Fair enough.
I recommend doing the course. Cheaper than the fine, no points on the licence and my insurance wasn't affected. The course was quite painless and I did learn a couple of things.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 2:45pm Ali wrote:
Thanks everyone - I'll go for the course. I do find it hard not to stray over the limit so maybe it will do me some good.

On 17 Jan 2016 at 7:29am JMMM wrote:
We don't take speeding seriously here. I think the course should be compulsory the first time you get caught speeding and then the fine and points should be doubled on second and subsequent occasions. The course was interesting and I learned a lot. I took the fine and the points the first time and did the course the second time. Should have been the other way around. There's a simple technique to avoid going over 30mph - go down to 3rd gear, it's very hard to drive over 30mph in 3rd gear.

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Portal 74:132
Lewes Portal

I tested Carfax, paid $ 40 for the report and received an incomplete report. Try Epicvin , I was given a full vin history report more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde