Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Shreham Cement Works/ Robert Cheeseman

On 29 May 2015 at 12:07am Lewes Resident wrote:
I have just read an interesting article on the BBC website about proposals to retain much of the Shoreham Cement Works as part of an eco-leisure site. It quotes Robert Cheeseman as the Chair of Sussex Downs Society, and as saying (on behalf of Society members?) that the buildings should be demolished.
Perhaps someone could explain to Mr Cheeseman that many people love these buildings, because they are open and broad minded enough to find them fascinating and interesting. For anyone under 50 they are historic, (nearly 100 years old), and are wonderful examples of a style now considered extremely trendy, much copied by architects, and all part of a resurgence of interest in mid-century design.
For the environmentally minded, such as lovers of the South Downs, the re-use of a site is the most ecologically sensible plan for a site that has planning rights.
On 29 May 2015 at 6:18am Shrek wrote:
100 year old mid century ? Should've kept Southerham works.
On 29 May 2015 at 6:19am Bob Cheeseburger wrote:
Excellent idea
On 29 May 2015 at 9:57am Rob Cheesemaker wrote:
Redevelopment of a derelict brown-field site into an "on trend" trendy eco-tourism site .... sound's great because it ticks all the current "fads".... But how will all those eco tourists get there - by driving gas guzzling 4x4s I bet....
Funny how the site was rejected for the Footi stadium, due to poor transport links/access, so instead they ripped up another chunck of the Sussex Downs instead, yet its fine for eco-tourists to get there. Wonder what the locals neary think?

Still, it'll be great for those tha can afford it:
"Where are you going on holiday Jacinta?"
".. Oh, some old cement works, really cool yah? We'll be be able to take the bikes and stuff, but we'll drive the Chelsea tractor into Brighton or Worthing for the beaches, and again every evening for dinner and for the nightlife, don't you now..."
"oh..."
"But don't worry about all those extra miles in the car Tristan, its all cool, yah, because it's an eco-friendly holiday camp ,yah...?"
On 29 May 2015 at 12:15pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd like to see the buildings restored and used for housing. Imagine the views from the top!
On 29 May 2015 at 3:26pm Mavis wrote:
They've finally got round to it at Battersea Power Station, that's going to be quite a development.
On 29 May 2015 at 5:41pm Nationalised Industries wrote:
Coal and Electricity, Battersea was once owned by us. LOL
On 29 May 2015 at 8:39pm Fred wrote:
Well nothing will happen to the site in any of our life times as it is full of asbestos. Why do so few people know this....

On 30 May 2015 at 4:01am SHS wrote:
Yet another manufacturing and production site becomes a non-productive preservation and biodiversity museum charging 20 to sea a real beach or to download dubbed-down crap into your smartphone to tell you what you are now looking at (err, what is cement??). Until we raise drastically the importance of inventing, manufacturing and producing real things that industry, we and others need, the West to East shift in global power that started a decade or more ago will continue more and more rapidly. Brownfield sites - we need them. Phoenix industry too.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

I'll leave that to you pancetta,you do such a lovely job.
Most of the government grants are going to the big players as the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo