Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Scotland votes Yes

On 15 Sep 2014 at 6:44pm Clifford wrote:
Tony Blair has advised Scots to vote No. Independence is now certain.

On 15 Sep 2014 at 7:11pm nonononoYes wrote:
Like the vicar of Dibley`s meetings
On 15 Sep 2014 at 7:21pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Blair the millionaire spent a decade spending other peoples' money and wrecking our economy. Why should anyone take notice of him now?
The Labour party are now desperate; and clutching at straws, as they know that a YES vote will effectively mean a Conservative majority in England for the forseeable future.
Us English should use this as an opportunity to progress to being a nation to be reckoned with outside the EU, like Norway and Switzerland.
On 15 Sep 2014 at 8:17pm Clifford wrote:
Sussex Jim wrote: '... wrecking our economy.'

That was the banks. Have you forgotten so soon? They did it in America and Europe too. You credit Labour with too much influence.
On 15 Sep 2014 at 9:18pm Deelite 2 wrote:
And you keep repeating it Sussex Jim. It won't get any truer
On 15 Sep 2014 at 9:47pm red ken wrote:
Tony Blair. Legendary prime minister and ambassador. The Scots should take heed of his invaluable advice
On 15 Sep 2014 at 10:22pm Metatron wrote:
How do you know when Blair's lying?
When his lips move........
Go on Scotland listen to the omnipotent Tony, everything he touches turns to gold..... But only for him.
On 15 Sep 2014 at 11:06pm Bully Beef wrote:
The economy is not wrecked and never was. The problem, was that we had a government who badly misjudged the level of debt that was wise during a credit boom.
Anyhoo I wish the Scots well.
On 16 Sep 2014 at 12:26am plumber wrote:
Actually, the politicians wrecked the economy. Had they left the banks alone; they would have re-negotiated the poor debt and stung the shareholders. (50 -70 yr old pension pots). thus evening out the wealth. Instead, they bailed out the rich; so they could sting the poor.
If I were Scottish I would leave just to get away from the English Politicians, they won't; but we do need to remind the political class that they are not "leaders", but servants! They work for us, and I think we need to remind them of this!
On 16 Sep 2014 at 6:45am kevin wrote:
well said plumber. here here.
On 16 Sep 2014 at 7:53am Futuristic Floozy wrote:
I predict that the Scots will vote no. Probably somewhere between 55 and 60%. There are a lot of undecideds, and there is no way they will vote yes at the last minute. Frankly I'll be glad when the whole charade is over..what a waste of time and money....
On 16 Sep 2014 at 11:05am CuckooClock wrote:
"Good luck, old cock ... Sorry to leave it in such a mess." - Conservative Chancellor Reginald Maudling, in a note to his successor Jim Callaghan in 1964.
Meanwhile I can't wait to stride the world like the economic and cultural colossi that are Switzerland and Norway. I do admire the Norwegians though: putting the oil money into a fund for their childrens' future rather than blowing it on tax cuts. Not sure I admire the secretive Swiss banking sector as much.
There was apparently a black joke going round the Treasury - we had two chances to sort out the UK, one the windfall from oil, one the windfall from the financial boom. The Tories blew the first on their voters, and Labour blew the second on theirs.

On 16 Sep 2014 at 11:54am Ed Can Do wrote:
Switzerland and to a lesser extent Norway have the advantage of a relatively small population with a high average income. The cost of providing public services is proportionately lower per person so better public services can be provided whilst keeping tax rates reasonable. The next referendum due in Switzerland is the introduction of a minimum wage and they're due to be setting it potentially at around 30k per year!

Once Scotland leaves, it will only be a matter of time before Wales goes, then the north of England, then Cornwall until we're left with a small region in the South East with a significantly higher average income and a relatively low population, putting us in a perfect position to become more like Switzerland or even Monaco or Luxembourg with virtually zero taxation required to fund the public purse.
Even if Scotland decide to say, there'll be a huge outcry at the further devolved powers being offered without consulting the rest of the UK's electorate first and we'll end up with regional assemblies all over the shop. Again we'll find ourselves in a South East administrative area which will be awash with cash.

Neither situation will happen over night but no matter what the result of the referendum I fully expect to be living the high life in a utopian state by the time I retire...

On 16 Sep 2014 at 12:00pm Zebedee wrote:
Huh? England's south east is one of the most densely populated areas in Europe! Not at all like Sweden or Switzerland. Unlike Scotland of course.... which you might well be able to compare to these countries in future, (especially if they don't squander their oil reserves).

If I was Scotland I'd be voting to dump Westminster... but I'd also know that the next two or three decades are likely to be very hard.
On 16 Sep 2014 at 5:58pm Bully Beef wrote:
The South East is the only tax exporting region in the UK outside London. (Scotland taken as a whole might argue they were marginal tax exporters but my best guess is they are marginally better of due to the old Barnett Formula )
For this reason ,amongst many others , there will be no serious regional devolution for England even if it was a good idea which is isn't. I think the latest Labour ruse is to try to get PR back in as an English second chamber so as to excuse importing their foreign MPs from Scotland .
One thing I do notice is that both Parties are agreed that England cannot have equal voting rights with Scotland . We`ll see about that !

On 16 Sep 2014 at 11:48pm Plumber wrote:
Bully Beef is correct. If one is a net receiver of tax revenue, they would be foolish to try to go at it alone. Cornwall won't leave - but what is London and the Southeast did? It would be FTSE meltdown!
My problem is that Scotland is not really leaving because they hate the English.
Scotland is leaving because they HATE all the arrogant, unworldly, close-minded idiots appointed to run the UK.
Cameron, Milliband, & Clogged!
I want a New P.M. and it should be a clever business woman. Not an Alpha Male trying to prove how great he is.
Actually, not Alpha women either, please; but more likely a woman.

On 17 Sep 2014 at 10:17am WTF wrote:
Does anyone remember when Tony Blair described a public enquiry into the 7th July London bombings as "a ludicrous diversion".
Said public enquiry of course never happened.
Juxtapose the Scottish referendum. A ludicrous diversion?
This is classic divide and rule, expect electoral shenanigans and hanging chads. The Yes's will win despite what the voters do.
On 17 Sep 2014 at 10:53am Futuristic Floozy wrote:
I'm up for the job 'Plumber'. My first pledge would be to remove religion from all schools. 100% secular schools.

On 17 Sep 2014 at 10:12pm Confused say Not! wrote:
Alternative English Poll - Throw Scotland Out of the Union or Not?

On 19 Sep 2014 at 12:35am Maybe Maybe Not wrote:
While were at it ought to throw out the whinging whining Welsh?
And get some proper border restrictions so that we truly know who we let in to the Country. Close the Gates and Batten Down the Hatches.. Bugger them all and if the Medieval Blighters don't like this Country then throw them out too!
F... Em!

On 19 Sep 2014 at 8:50am Futuristic Floozy wrote:
I was right in my prediction (see earlier in this thread). So sorry folks but I will not be dancing nude through the streets of Lewes.

On 21 Sep 2014 at 12:17am plumber wrote:
I am sorry (maybe) we will not see Futuristic Floozy dancing nude through the streets of Lewes; but she did nail the outcome! I thought as much, but didn't have the guts to print it.
Did you also think Scottish over 60, middle and above class were always a "No!" vote?
I am alright, Jack wins the "No!" vote at the referendum!

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes busker 60:132
Lewes busker

Be careful what you wish for
The latest post on LP is:
Why are there so many ducks on The Pells