Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Scapegoating Loses Lewes

On 8 May 2015 at 7:46am NowSeeWhatHappens wrote:
Well, there we go, the infantile, petty people, who can't see the big picture, and refused to acknowledge what Norman has done for this area, have caused the Lewes Constituency to go blue. It was clear from the start that the Lib Dems were being scapegoated for all that people did not like about coalition politics, and the pettiness of our electorate who love to point fingers, has now resulted in getting exactly what these people were raging about, He has lost by just 1,000 votes, so all those who decided to vote Labour, or Green, can now get on with what has resulted a conservative! Norman has done an outstanding job as our M.P., his record of hard work and attention to every single letter or plea for assistance from any of his constituents will be I predict unsurpassed. So now, of course we get what we deserve for such un-grown-up, punitive behaviour. A conservative. Well done you lot.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:02am Amon wildes wrote:
Hear, hear. I suggest a sustained campaign of letters, emails,and generally annoying requests to her so that we can keep up the pressure and see how she responds. I strongly doubt we will get the service from her that we have thrown away with Norman. As to the broader outcome and the NHS - be afraid, be very afraid ....

On 8 May 2015 at 8:03am Voter wrote:
Rule 1 of Politics. Do not patronise and insult the electorate.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:06am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I cast my vote for Norman despite his party propping up the Tories for 5 years. It was a totally tactical vote.
It took a lot of soul searching though, and I felt uncomfortable with it. He was a good constituency MP, but he was very happy to take the ministerial job and sit (and vote) alongside the party that looks after its friends to the detriment of the poorest and most vulnerable.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:11am DJ wrote:
Yes he only lost by just over a 1000 votes, that means he only lost 9000 supporters from the last election. I like Norman as an MP, for some reasons, and I think he has been a far better MP than the previous two MPs our area has had. However your insults I'm afraid make you sound rather infantile and petty yourself. In the past there have been voters voting for Norman just to keep out the Conservatives, now they perhaps have voted with their heads and we now have an MP that has, perhaps for the first time since Norman was first elected, been voted for because they want that party as opposed to voting for someone so others don't get in.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:13am Belladonna wrote:
Baker has been punished for his party jumping into bed with the Tories. The tactical voters have deserted him. It shows even more the need for PR in this country. Baker needed to come out and say he would not support a Tory government again - but he wouldn't. He voted for tuition fees, the bedroom tax, the reeducation in disability benefits etcetc. I won't vote for a man who betrays the electorate who put him in office in the first place.
Don't scapegoat the voters - Baker LOST the election because of his record.
On 8 May 2015 at 8:23am NowSeeWhatHappens wrote:
Looking at the statistics,of the vote- in this constituency area, 62% (31,334) of people here voted 'other' than conservative. 18,123 LibDem, 5,427 UKIP, 5,000 Labour, 2,784 Green. Leaving just 38% 19,206) of the local electorate having voted conservative, and waking up happy this morning. We need proportional representation. This is very clear.
On 8 May 2015 at 9:06am DJ wrote:
That's happened all over the country. A different voting system is needed, which one I'm not sure. The SNP result being a prime example. There were no SNP candidates outside of Scotland, not surprising, so they have achieved 56 seats with only 1.5 million votes. Thankfully, with a Conservative majority, Nicola Sturgeon (not even standing as an MP) won't have the hold she so thinks she deserves over Westminster. UKIP with more than double SNP voters, end with only 1 or perhaps 2 MPs.

On 8 May 2015 at 9:11am pr party wrote:
This country and Lewes ad a small part of that desperately need a single issue party for the next election to cjange voting system and then immediately hold another election. There are too mamy people for example 70% of Scotland I think who have not got anywhere near what they voted for. This is very divisve for the country. Look at the greens and Ukip 2 or 3 seats between them with vast numbers of votes. Of course the Conservstives love this system but unfortunately so have Labour in the past. I personally for many years voted Lib dem to try to change this so eventually I could vote for the greens with a clear conscience. Sadly clegg dived in too early after the last election before the Labour party were ready to support it. think it is now up to Labour greens lib dems and indeed ukip to come imto my new party. Long live the pr revolution! If I were to become pm I promise I would resign within 100 DAYS.
On 8 May 2015 at 9:44am So... wrote:
Belladonna, can you explain exactly what the LibDems shoudl have done back in 2010? And now? They were in a terrible situation to be frank.
Ultimately coalition politics is about compromise and nose pegs. I'm sure the Lib Dems didn't feel comfortable about the coalition either, but politics is politics. After all, the SNP were in coalition with the Tories in the Scottish parliament and help bring down the Callaghan government in 1979. No -one held that against them.
In these situations you have to vote for the least bad option. Instead, people have paid more attention to their self-image and self-righteousness than what is best for the country. And now we're going to pay. Because ultimately, a LibDem-Tory coalition would have been better - however slight - compared to a Tory majority in which the right wing will get louder and louder.
On 8 May 2015 at 10:05am not so... wrote:
Totally disagree with you on everything you say, so... Lib Dems had a lot of options in 2010. The whole line of acting against their party interests for the national good is just baloney, and totally disingenuous. There was absolutely no need for a formal coalition, even if they didn't want to team up with Labour. If you disagree with that, you'll agree that the deal they struck for the coalition was a terrible one - they got nothing out of it at all and blew the chance of a generation to get what everyone above agrees we need, genuine electoral reform.
They ran a terrible campaign locally and nationally offering no positive reason at all to vote for them.
Moreover the Lewes result doesn't have any bearing on the outcome of this election anyway - it's the Labour/Con seats where Labour lost the election.
Personally I take a crumb of comfort in the likelihood that a small Con majority will be less stable that the outgoing coalition (it's a much small voting bloc) and should find it much harder to pass damaging legislation.
Hopefully we've also seen the end of the Orange Book lib dems and next time round we'll get a genuine liberal candidate offering us in Lewes a real choice of outcomes.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Starfish Studios Lewes 109:132
Starfish Studios Lewes

I am actually looking forward to tomorrows already more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo